Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Foxes_Trust

Have your say on VAR

As recently revealed by TalkSport we have seen more VAR reviews at the King Power Stadium (21 in total), than any other ground, Spurs was next with 19 and the least at St James Park (only 4). So as the fans with the most experience, who better to gather our views.

Working with the Football Supporters Association, The Foxes Trust has released a survey on VAR which is available for any Leicester City fan to complete

https://foxestrust.co.uk/8245/have-your-say-on-var

Please make fellow City fans aware to take part

the problem with discussions about VAR is that fans are rarely objective about it. It's fine when it is used to determine that Nacho was onside for the last minute winner against Everton but everyone hates it when the decision goes against their team.

I think it was at the Chelsea game (back in the old days when there used to be football matches). I think there was an incident early on for a possible Chelsea penalty which took ages to review and eventually wasn't given (I think). People around me were giving it the big "fcuk VAR" chant. Then later, at the end when there was a possible shout for us the very same people are chanting "VAR VAR!". That is the crux of it really. If it stays, people will moan about it when it goes against them, if they bin it then people will complain that it wasn't there to rescue them when the ref misses something.

For what it's worth, anyone chanting "VAR" needs their season ticket shredding

Edited by stripeyfox
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

For me the referee's are the problem, not VAR. We have so many incompetent referees who have been getting decisions wrong for years, so sticking them behind a screen won't make their decisions suddenly better. Some of the decisions are fvcking stupid. A finger nail of an offside is not offside. Offside need to be more clear to be given. Handballs too. I was at Carrow Road in Feb when they cancelled our goal out because Kelechi's "handball". It was a joke of a decision. It wasn't brought in for nitpicking. 

But also a couple things that annoy me:

Players surrounding the referee asking for VAR is wrong and they should be booked regardless.

Fans chanting VAR and likewise fans chanting "it's not football anymore" (I've heard a few clubs sing this namely Sheffield United and Norwich) isn't helping. These are same people that moan if it doesn't go their way and then praise when it does.

VAR is ok for offside because you are off- or onside. For other things it has not really helped in so many ways as there are still inconsistencies. For example the tackle by Matt Targett on Ricardo was worthy of a red card and worse the Ryan Bertrand tackle on Perez at Southampton and yet Targett stayed on the pitch. I mean wtf.

There is nothing wrong with VAR but the persons back at Sky looking at VAR for each match are ruining it.

• Like 1

The other big problem is that the VAR "experience" seems to be much better if you're watching on TV where you have the benefit of replays etc. In the stadium you are almost totally in the dark about what is going on and even the scoreboard messages usually appear after the ref has given the on field indication. By the time they put "NO GOAL" up on the screen, the game has probably restarted!

• Like 2

2 hours ago, stripeyfox said:

For what it's worth, anyone chanting "VAR" needs their season ticket shredding

...but this is done in a pantomime sort of way, so if it goes for us VAR VAR VAR and at all other times "**** VAR **** VAR **** VAR.... 

Don't think you should take the chant too seriously. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Collymore said:

...but this is done in a pantomime sort of way, so if it goes for us VAR VAR VAR and at all other times "**** VAR **** VAR **** VAR.... 

Don't think you should take the chant too seriously. 

Yes when Chilwell has the ball we should all chant 'He's behind you' :P

• Haha 1

45 minutes ago, stripeyfox said:

The other big problem is that the VAR "experience" seems to be much better if you're watching on TV where you have the benefit of replays etc. In the stadium you are almost totally in the dark about what is going on and even the scoreboard messages usually appear after the ref has given the on field indication. By the time they put "NO GOAL" up on the screen, the game has probably restarted!

It's the timings that are out. On TV you can get away showing replays but at games we're sat there thinking what's going on. I think the messages on screen at games are clear enough it's just the time in between those.

• Like 1

VAR isn’t the problem. The problems are; 

People’s interpretations of the rules

It doesn’t matter if someone’s dick, arse or heel is offside. If they’re offside, they’re offside. There’s always so much debate after the fact from commentators / summarisers, “oh was it the right decision etc”, yes it was, now STFU and get on with it.

Incompetent officials

Putting a referee behind a TV screen or in a caravan near the airport isn’t going to suddenly make them a great referee. The overall standard of officiating has been poor and needs to be improved on.

Player dissent

Anyone asking for VAR or drawing the stupid air box, needs to be booked. No Ifs, no buts, no inconsistencies. It’ll soon stop. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

We've benefitted several times from it, but it's not worth the hassle and endless debate. I have little sympathy for clubs and managers who've moaned for years about needing technology when things go against them yet say it's part of the game when they get the decision, they've pushed for it. 

I think the fans, generally, have coped without it and although we complain we do get over it and move on. I'd rather see it binned and we take the rough with the smooth again.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

As infuriating as it can be, I actually don't get the overall hate for VAR. Yes you may have had a goal chalked out for offside by millimetres but that decision is more reliable and precise then if it was made by a human. The argument about when the ball was played and millimetres is nonsense when without the technology offsides in the metres were not being called. With VAR set to stay, the only thing I can foresee is the linesman making the call as normal and then its up to VAR to prove the decision was wrong, like umpires call in cricket. 

• Like 1

The trade off of a few more correct decision isn't worth more legitimate or inconclusive goals being chalked off. The West Ha game in January, we took the lead and everybody stopped celebrating because we all though it'd be brought back inexplicably, it wasn't. It still killed the emotion in the moment. Football is so dynamic that decisions are never going to be 100%, VAR might help but instead we've got a really intrusive, heavy handed system making the game worse.

The PL and PGMONGS or whatever they're called are too hubristic to get rid so hopefully it'll be reformed. A time limit of say 30 seconds to make a decision would be an improvement - not a clear and obvious error if they're having to watch replays at 10 FPS from 13 different angles, draw some stupid lines, do some shading and rewind it back and forth multiple times.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I was all for VAR thinking it’ll weed out the cheats and the goals that should have been given or the penalties that should have been, but VAR under the Premier League this season has been a Royal Pain in the Arse for all concerned unless the decisions were going for you !!

Yes it’s in its infancy in the league but they just haven’t got a clue how to use it to the best of its abilities, hand balls given for clearly being nearly as high as a players ear to fouls that were as soft as hell 5 minute autopsies on a players fringe being 3mm offside.

The refs should be made to use the pitch side monitors as done in other foreign Leagues not just leave it to some little Cockwomble in a room in stockley park who often needs to have his eye sight tested, there have been so many incompetent VAR decisions this season even FIFA commented that the Premier League were using it wrongly and advised the match official should view the pitch side monitor ? 

A big overhaul is needed when the season kicks off again with the use of VAR maybe using ex players rather than officials that are totally inept of delivering a fair outcome, VAR could be great if used how it should be stop the huge breaks looking for an offside when clearly there isn’t one make the refs view the pitch side monitor for their own input into making decisions about time the league sorted it out nearly a year in and they’re still cocking it up !!

Two things stick in my mind 

It's taking far too long to decide if someone is offside, a time limit or a limit on the number of views allowed would help. That's down to those at the VAR terminals

Some obvious fouls like handball are not given and some really dubious ones are being given. That's down to inconsistent interpretation or incompetence, there's nothing knew there but if it's not resolving this then there seems little point in using VAR to resolve it.

A smoother and quicker off-side process and mistaken identity seems to be the limit of VAR's ability to improving the game as it stands.

1 hour ago, davieG said:

Two things stick in my mind 

It's taking far too long to decide if someone is offside, a time limit or a limit on the number of views allowed would help. That's down to those at the VAR terminals

The problem with the offside regarding VAR is that the law leaves no room for manoeuvre- you are either offside or not. The looking for any part of the foot/ body is required due to the law. Many would've been missed by the naked eye, and were so tight that you'd probably let it go, but then we've had decisions scrutinised and micro-analysed on MOTD and the like which has helped lead to VAR being introduced.

I agree on a time limit but for subjective decisions, it wouldn't really work with offside. 

I've said it countless times, VAR isn't the issue. 

Yes, it has been a bit if a shambles but what do you expect when you introduce VAR but dont amend the rules to compliment it. All it has served to do is highlight the inconsistency in referee decisions. 

The biggest issues we've had with VAR this year have been hand balls and offsides. 

VAR isn't to blame for offsides, the current rules leave no room for error, if you are offside, you are offside. That's it. Yes, some are harsh due how slight they are and no obvious advantage being gained but those are the rules. Amending the rules to something along the lines of 'only the feet can be offside' would maybe cut the number of times it happens but it will still happen. You will still get the odd toenail offside. 

Handball has much bigger issues. All VAR can do is show if the ball hits the hand. Nothing more. The rules on handball are all over the place. Ball to hand, inatuaral position, the distance the ball travelled etc. The referee still has a decision to make and the problem is the decisions that are being made are inconsistent. The only way you could make VAR more accurate is to simplify the rules. Currently if it hits your hand in a lead up to a goal, the goal is discounted, regardless. Why not do that on the defensive side of it? If it hits your hand, it hits your hand, no ifs,buts or maybe's. Although, that could devolve the game to folk just hitting the ball at each others arms all game. 

Bottom line  in my opinion, VAR works. It's the rules and level or referees that let it down. 

• Like 1