Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Leicester_Loyal

The Politics Thread 2020

3 minutes ago, Strokes said:

I’m sure we’ve all done it.

I was working in an office block in Peterborough on Thursday, I went to the toilet and removed my mask, and forget to put it back on on exit.

Fortunately I remembered to pull my trousers up though.

It could be argued the more important thing was to remember to pull your trousers down beforehand.

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Innovindil said:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-55420366

US President Trump has urged Congress to amend a $900bn (£670bn) coronavirus relief bill to more than triple its stimulus payments to Americans.

Can only base my assumption on the reactions I've seen from both Democrats and Republicans I've seen online, but... Trump is right? :huh: only time in 4 years I've ever seen both sides of the internet divide react the exact same way, a mixture of abject disbelief and anger. 

All seems a bit of a deflection measure by Trump to distract people from reading about the pardons he is dishing out to his cronies and actual war criminals. 

4 hours ago, Innovindil said:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-55420366

US President Trump has urged Congress to amend a $900bn (£670bn) coronavirus relief bill to more than triple its stimulus payments to Americans.

Can only base my assumption on the reactions I've seen from both Democrats and Republicans I've seen online, but... Trump is right? :huh: only time in 4 years I've ever seen both sides of the internet divide react the exact same way, a mixture of abject disbelief and anger. 

Broken clocks and all that...the only other time being getting behind the Artemis Program.

As mentioned above, the distraction from pardoning war criminals notwithstanding.

The Conservatives have done well to build a base of seemingly about 35% of the population who will vote for them no matter what - a combination of Tory true believers and nationalists. I think even if we end up with an "Australian style" Brexit the numbers will be unaffected, and possibly even increase just because of the number of people in England turned on by anything to do with the commonwealth. 

2 hours ago, Strokes said:

Not a fan of Sturgeon but I don’t think an accidental slip of taking off her mask early at a funeral is cause for any repercussions. We are all human after all.

2 hours ago, Nick said:

Agreed. I had to turn off SKY News this morning when they got a University Professor on to comment on the incident having already spent ten minutes covering it...

2 hours ago, Dunge said:

A few weeks back I stepped into a shop with mask in hand instead of on face, just as a slip of concentration. I realised quickly and put it on. If I’d been a politician, there would have been someone ready with a camera ready to take a photo and “catch me out”.

Our press have been an utter disgrace through all of this.

It’s no wonder we have so little talent in politics when we treat them like this.

I’m sure we’ve all done it.

I was working in an office block in Peterborough on Thursday, I went to the toilet and removed my mask, and forget to put it back on on exit.

Fortunately I remembered to pull my trousers up though.

Its not just politicians its anybody famous. Happened to Lineker a few months back, someone snapped him in a shop not wearing it. He responded by saying he'd forgotten but realised not long after the picture was taken and put his mask on. That wasn't enough, he was getting lambasted for being a hypocrite as he'd advocated mask use in the past. When he apologised people claimed it was only because he got caught, which is obvious, because he hadn't got caught nobody would have known he'd forgotten and he'd have nobody to apologise to.

Just now, Facecloth said:

Its not just politicians its anybody famous. Happened to Lineker a few months back, someone snapped him in a shop not wearing it. He responded by saying he'd forgotten but realised not long after the picture was taken and put his mask on. That wasn't enough, he was getting lambasted for being a hypocrite as he'd advocated mask use in the past. When he apologised people claimed it was only because he got caught, which is obvious, because he hadn't got caught nobody would have known he'd forgotten and he'd have nobody to apologise to.

People in England love to show how virtuous they are. We're a nation of Mary Whitehouses. It's funny that conservatives seem to think it's only the left that virtue-signal. 

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, bovril said:

People in England love to show how virtuous they are. We're a nation of Mary Whitehouses. It's funny that conservatives seem to think it's only the left that virtue-signal. 

Oh yeah. People genuinely defending the likes of Cummings for breaking numerous rules, but someone who happens to disagree with them forgets to put a mask on for a few minutes in a shop and they are kicking off.

Not saying it not similar the other way either, but I'm yet to see it on the same scale.

Edited by Facecloth

3 hours ago, Strokes said:

Not a fan of Sturgeon but I don’t think an accidental slip of taking off her mask early at a funeral is cause for any repercussions. We are all human after all.

Most of us, I suppose...

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Facecloth said:

Oh yeah. People genuinely defending the likes of Cummings for breaking numerous rules, but someone who happens to disagree with them forgets to put a mask on for a few minutes in a shop and they are kicking off.

Not saying it not similar the other way either, but I'm yet to see it on the same scale.

Oh come on. The Cummings stuff went on for months, it was relentless, people camping outside his house, following his family etc. Everyone else has got off easily in comparison.

FWIW I don't give many hoots about any of the breaches from any of them.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Facecloth said:

The problem with these people on all sides, is that if you're going to lecture people on restrictions, look down upon them or accuse them of not helping the cause, then you've got to be whiter than white. That's why Piers Morgan and Gary have got a lot more grief than people such as Rita Ora, because although they all broke the rules (Rita Ora did a lot more than both those two), only one of them wasn't on tv or Twitter every other day blasting the public for being selfish and reckless. That's how I see it anyway, rightly or wrongly.

3 hours ago, Facecloth said:

These Christmas rules really highlight that Cnut. 

• Like 1

I doubt whether Cummings would have been forgiven had he confessed and thrown himself on the mercy of the court. He had a lot of enemies in a lot of high-up places that would have been queuing up to take him down regardless.

His initial trip to Durham, I think people could have accepted on balance. As soon as he got caught going to Barnard Castle I think his reputation was done regardless of the rooster and bull story he came up with about his eyesight. It quite clearly wasn’t an accident or a momentary slip of concentration like with other people. It was a flagrant disregarding of the rules for a personal jolly while people across the country were making themselves miserable with selfless sacrifices.

I’d agree that he doesn’t deserve for him and his family to be hassled by idiots. But his reputation is tarnished by his own choices and actions. He has no one to blame but himself for that.

12 minutes ago, Dunge said:

I doubt whether Cummings would have been forgiven had he confessed and thrown himself on the mercy of the court

But he didn't. That's what the outrage was about. 

13 minutes ago, Dunge said:

He had a lot of enemies in a lot of high-up places that would have been queuing up to take him down regardless.

Is this the UK remake of qanon or something?  Poor old Dominic, alone against the world fighting the good fight.

30 minutes ago, Carl the Llama said:

But he didn't. That's what the outrage was about. 

Is this the UK remake of qanon or something?  Poor old Dominic, alone against the world fighting the good fight.

If I’m giving the impression of defending him, that’s not my aim. He should have resigned. And when he didn’t, Boris should have fired him. I’m not saying he was justified in giving the excuses he did, and the whole event seriously damaged the government he was supposed representing. I was just commenting that, looking at it from a strictly personal perspective for his own ambitions and time at the top table, I believe he was done for if he did apologise because it wouldn’t have been enough.

I’m not talking conspiracy. Just that the more enemies you make on your way to the top (within the Conservative party, the media, the civil service and pretty much everywhere), there will be people who are waiting to take you down again. But this was all avoidable through him not actually going to Barnard Castle in the first place.

5 hours ago, Spiritwalker said:

Cummings got caught, 

I know you’re of a right wing persuasion but I can’t believe you feel sorry for him.

Correct me if I'm wrong but I don't think at any point have I ever said I felt sorry for Cummings.

I do however have some sympathy for his family getting unfairly hounded.

I'm not defending what Cummings or others (political people of all persuasions, TV people etc) have done and nor am I overly lambasting any of them for it either.

• Thanks 1