Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Leicester_Loyal

The Politics Thread 2020

12 hours ago, SecretPro said:

Christ, you really are brainwashed aren't you? Or just entitled. 

Neither, but I can certainly believe senior civil servants who spent their lives at the home office are entitled, and having a younger Indian minister put them in their place wouldn’t have gone down well.

That said I don’t condone the reported behaviour or the apparent ignoring of it by Boris.  She should have quit I think.

2 hours ago, Jon the Hat said:

Sajid seems like a nice bloke tbh.  

Exactly. And so did Patels other predecessors. And Patel seems like a horrible woman.

I know you said you think her behaviour is bad and she should resign, and Boris shouldn't have let it go, but you've also tried to provide excuses and reasons for Patel being in this situation and it not being her fault, just people not liking being bossed by an Asian woman. So can we just admit this has nothing to do with false claims, people not liking a younger Asian female boss and just admit she's a nasty piece of work.

• Like 2

I get the impression that Priti Patel is like our very own Keith Vaz but has the power and status he wishes he had. Being a Home Secretary would have been Vaz's ideal position. I think IMO he would be as much of a bully as she has been exposed as even though BJ won't accept the facts regarding PP. Why else would the leader of the investigation resign if he wasn't convinced of the truth. You only have to listen to her on the Gov Covid briefings ffs.

• Like 1

On 20/11/2020 at 14:12, Jon the Hat said:

I can't help feeling that these senior civil servants wouldn't have complained if their shouty demanding boss was a white middle aged man.  I might be completely wrong here, but I am not convinced she is any more a bully than many many other leaders.

On 20/11/2020 at 14:43, Jon the Hat said:

Not saying that, I am sure the stories are true, however there seems to be an acceptance of arsehole male bosses which doesn't apply to women.  Held to a different standard maybe.

On 20/11/2020 at 16:03, Jon the Hat said:

I don't particularly like her to be honest, but it is hard to separate the reaction to her in general at the home office - she doesn't seem terribly popular - and this bullying issue.  As my son learnt at school this week, bullying is doing something to upset someone Several Times On Purpose (STOP).

8 hours ago, Jon the Hat said:

Neither, but I can certainly believe senior civil servants who spent their lives at the home office are entitled, and having a younger Indian minister put them in their place wouldn’t have gone down well.

That said I don’t condone the reported behaviour or the apparent ignoring of it by Boris.  She should have quit I think.

3 hours ago, Jon the Hat said:

Sajid seems like a nice bloke tbh.  

• Haha 3

On 21/11/2020 at 17:57, Facecloth said:

Exactly. And so did Patels other predecessors. And Patel seems like a horrible woman.

I know you said you think her behaviour is bad and she should resign, and Boris shouldn't have let it go, but you've also tried to provide excuses and reasons for Patel being in this situation and it not being her fault, just people not liking being bossed by an Asian woman. So can we just admit this has nothing to do with false claims, people not liking a younger Asian female boss and just admit she's a nasty piece of work.

I think it is a bit of both.  I think the Home office are well setup to resist the will of their minister; they admitted they misinformed Amber Rudd who had to go over Windrush for example.  Given the report said they should also look at how the behaved I don't think anyone comes out with any credit.  Senior Civil servants will now have to undergo performance reviews, and they will have to allow the minister direct access to their experts rather than filtering everything through a very formal hierarchy.  All pretty sensible.  Priti should probably have some training of some sort to help her keep her frustration or anger in check.

29 minutes ago, urban.spaceman said:

1. That was a captive audience Tommy they were literally just waiting for the next act.

2. I don’t think Rihanna has played Glastonbury. 
3. Has your dad even heard of Rihanna?! We’re talking about someone who doesn’t even know who Ant and Dec are. 

lol Didnt Happen Of The Year Award incoming.

41 minutes ago, urban.spaceman said:

1. That was a captive audience Tommy they were literally just waiting for the next act.

2. I don’t think Rihanna has played Glastonbury. 
3. Has your dad even heard of Rihanna?! We’re talking about someone who doesn’t even know who Ant and Dec are. 

I bet that crowd ****ing stinks.

1 hour ago, StanSP said:

This the biggest tragedy of Brexit.

Many of the Working Class people who voted to leave will be the very ones to suffer the economic consequences of job losses, increased food prices etc. Too late, they will come to realise that they were sold an illusion: maybe not today, maybe not tomorrow, but one day soon. Ironic that they won't need a passport - blue or otherwise - for a caravan holiday in Skeggy.

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, Buce said:

Many of the Working Class people who voted to leave will be the very ones to suffer the economic consequences of job losses, increased food prices etc. Too late, they will come to realise that they were sold an illusion: maybe not today, maybe not tomorrow, but one day soon. Ironic that they won't need a passport - blue or otherwise - for a caravan holiday in Skeggy.

They won't. This country is forever divided and even more deluded.

1 hour ago, StanSP said:

This is only based on hearsay in a German auto trade magazine, I’d wait for something concrete to emerge first. A lot of people pointing out the new Qashqai model was only announced to be manufactured there the other day...

2 hours ago, Buce said:

People who voted brexit aren't suddenly going to have a moment where they realise they are wrong because of economic woes.

They will be convinced by the same politicians and newspaper barons that pushed brexit that the econic woes are to be blamed on one the following: brexit was sold out or too soft/covid/foreigners/new labour. 

Edited by The whole world smiles
  • Like 3

3 hours ago, Buce said:

Buce...you Surprise me..!!!  Are you telling us, you are Not One of us...The Salt of the earth, the backbone of what our Great society is built upon...

Working Class matters...The only class who pay their taxes honestly up front..!! & Build little Britains all over the world..

so we can enjoy, Roast beef & yorkshire pud in far flung corners of the world & Communicate with the locals & discuss  with them over football,Rock n Roll & how

to make a Pasty on a camping-stove....😈 😂 

Whoops...Reminiscing in the far past mist of my memories.....

4 hours ago, Fightforever said:

They won't. This country is forever divided and even more deluded.

Every country that has human beings is divided. It's in our nature. Doesn't matter if it's Brexit, Independence, race, religion, Nationality or a rivalry with the town closest to you. We are arseholes and it's our default mode to fight over pointless crap. 

The last time this country was unified is when we had Germans to fight. 

14 hours ago, Cardiff_Fox said:

Equally though there’s no celebration in such actions. Those on the remain side (which has a decent crossover to Labour) have to ask themselves how did it happen and how to battle it. 

Same is happening in Swindon with Honda 

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-47287386

Honda said the move was due to global changes in the car industry and the need to launch electric vehicles, and it had nothing to do with Brexit.

1 hour ago, Strokes said:

I saw that more positive article, but also this one (6 days ago): https://news.sky.com/story/nissan-ready-for-2030-electric-car-goal-but-repeats-brexit-warning-12135297

"Nissan says it is "ready" to meet the prime minister's goal to ban the sale of new petrol and diesel cars from 2030 but repeated a warning that its UK operations would not be sustainable if Brexit significantly raises its costs. The company's chief operating officer Ashwani Gupta made his remarks as the EU cautioned there must be agreement on a free trade deal with the UK by next week if it is to be ratified in time for the end of the Brexit transition period".

Tiers are the big thing in 2020, so my guess is that they have a 3-tier strategy:

1) Pressure the Govt to sign a Brexit deal so they don't face 10% tariffs and potential major disruption to just-in-time supply chains

2) If No Deal happens, pressure the govt to give them a large wodge of taxpayers' cash to stay put in Sunderland despite poorer financial viability

3) Consider withdrawal - probably gradual, over several years - if Brexit does massively hit their profit margins

• Like 1