Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
filbertway

Coronavirus Thread

I have sympathy for students at the minute but they don't help themselves do they, pretty sure there are similar scenes within the halls at other universities too. Problem is I'd probably have been the same at that age. They just don't particularly care. 

The only way they'd have stopped this happening is to not open halls in the first place, but there was too much money to be had to do that.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Parafox said:

It's okay Para, they're just letting off steam. On any normal day they'd all be in a swirl of depression because houses are expensive. :rolleyes:

This is why they should be testing new flexible rules with students. Perfect age group to be trying it on and perfect time with them all returning. I'd have been exactly the same at uni. 18-21, away from home surrounded my mates and people the same age.

It's like giving a a gambling addict a couple of grand and then pushing them into the nearest bookies and walking off. 

1 minute ago, leicsmac said:

Don't tell me you've given into misanthropy at the state of the future like I have, Inno! :D

My optimism is alas, wearing thin. Reckon I'm gonna pack up, go work in a coffee shop, and constantly complain that life sucks.

Least I'll get a free pass to PAAAAAAARTAAAAAYYYY. And free coffee ofcourse. :thumbup:

1 minute ago, Innovindil said:

My optimism is alas, wearing thin. Reckon I'm gonna pack up, go work in a coffee shop, and constantly complain that life sucks.

Least I'll get a free pass to PAAAAAAARTAAAAAYYYY. And free coffee ofcourse. :thumbup:

Don't worry, by the time you retire that coffee shop will be zero-G, so that'll be something. Promise! :thumbup:

21 hours ago, Wymsey said:

Can imagine most of the deaths were involving the older generation (50 years+).

Am concerned that any positives cases and/or deaths in care homes might multiply themselves.

"The older generation (50 years+)", you cheeky young pup!?!? 

I'd beat you in a foot race over 20 yards, you whippersnapper!

Well, I might do, if you promised to wear your hat and mask from your profile photo..... :D

• Haha 1

Read an article on the BBC earlier stating 60,000 people have the so called “long covid” problems. That’s a lot of people, but as a percentage of people that have actually had it in the U.K., it’s probably quite small.

I’d be interested to know just how long term these cases are. Suspect we haven’t heard a great deal about it as I wouldn’t expect the media to jump on such positive news, if it exists.

6 hours ago, RowlattsFox said:

I have sympathy for students at the minute but they don't help themselves do they, pretty sure there are similar scenes within the halls at other universities too. Problem is I'd probably have been the same at that age. They just don't particularly care. 

The only way they'd have stopped this happening is to not open halls in the first place, but there was too much money to be had to do that.

I agree with all you say in particular the sentence in bold. But when you hear them being interviewed, there are many who say they are isolating and can't get food or other necessary shopping because there's at least one positive case in their flat/shared house/halls of residence. They want to be allowed home to visit family etc. I have no real evidence but I imagine there's plenty of those "isolating" who want to "let off steam" as innovindil said and that they feel they have the right to do as they please as it's their first time away from home and they're young and literally "carefree". A time to live outside the rules of home. That's fine outside of this pandemic and I wish I gone to uni for that very reason. It's not so great now, though. The majority of the uptick in infections is in the 19-25 age group. No doubt they won't finish up in hospital on a ventilator but how do they know who they might put in that predicament? 

5 hours ago, filbertway said:

This is why they should be testing new flexible rules with students. Perfect age group to be trying it on and perfect time with them all returning. I'd have been exactly the same at uni. 18-21, away from home surrounded my mates and people the same age.

It's like giving a a gambling addict a couple of grand and then pushing them into the nearest bookies and walking off. 

It used to be STD's that caused the student's to attend hospital. I guess times are different now.

Just now, rachhere said:

So apparently the NHS test and trace app automatically sends you notifications to say that you have possibly been exposed, even if you aren't judged to have be at risk and do not need to isolate. Thanks for making me jump needlessly there... https://faq.covid19.nhs.uk/article/KA-01252/en-us 

You get notified of this when you download/installed the app and can turn off the notifications or Bluetooth so you don't get them. 

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, rachhere said:

So apparently the NHS test and trace app automatically sends you notifications to say that you have possibly been exposed, even if you aren't judged to have be at risk and do not need to isolate. Thanks for making me jump needlessly there... https://faq.covid19.nhs.uk/article/KA-01252/en-us 

I had this morning. However every single place I checked in, I did it with someone else. I asked everyone else and no one else had a notification. 

I see there’s no change in patterns but the increase in hospitalisations is getting worrying 

2 minutes ago, rachhere said:

It says on the page I linked to that you cant turn it off?

I have the app, you can turn the Bluetooth off and therefore you won't get the notifications when you're out and about. Depends where you wanna go and have the app functioning/bluetooth turned on at the same time. 

It's still up to you if you wanna isolate should you be out and about after getting prompted you could be exposed to it :dunno:.

Just a way of being cautious and then you can take your own precautions even more so wherever you are. 

2 minutes ago, StanSP said:

I have the app, you can turn the Bluetooth off and therefore you won't get the notifications when you're out and about. Depends where you wanna go and have the app functioning/bluetooth turned on at the same time. 

It's still up to you if you wanna isolate should you be out and about after getting prompted you could be exposed to it :dunno:.

Just a way of being cautious and then you can take your own precautions even more so wherever you are. 

I don’t need to isolate because that webpage is saying I haven’t been exposed at all, and that it’s just a default message sent to remind you the app is still working. I think we might be talking about different things here. Main thing is if it’s a default message they should possibly reword it. 

6 minutes ago, Cardiff_Fox said:

I had this morning. However every single place I checked in, I did it with someone else. I asked everyone else and no one else had a notification. 

I see there’s no change in patterns but the increase in hospitalisations is getting worrying 

There’s loads of confused people, judging by Twitter. I was especially confused as I haven’t really been anywhere! 

18 hours ago, RowlattsFox said:

I have sympathy for them for sure. I think this is a tad harsh however, most students I've encountered at work have followed rules and guidelines down to the letter. There'll always be some who let the side down, but that isn't a fair representation of others. 

19 hours ago, Innovindil said:

That sounds like a good idea, working a physically demanding job and having to deal with the general public all day might knock some of that ignorance out of you.  And you'll get the free coffee :thumbup:

24 minutes ago, Carl the Llama said:

That sounds like a good idea, working a physically demanding job and having to deal with the general public all day might knock some of that ignorance out of you.  And you'll get the free coffee :thumbup:

You think I was born an engineer? 

I've worked in fast food both as a burger flipper and manager and at argos as a manual labour picker/forklift driver and goods in/out. 

Paying for your own apprenticeship isn't easy. 

I've long since had the ignorance knocked out of me, that's why I actually wanted to do something with my life. :thumbup:

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Innovindil said:

You think I was born an engineer? 

I've worked in fast food both as a burger flipper and manager and at argos as a manual labour picker/forklift driver and goods in/out. 

Paying for your own apprenticeship isn't easy. 

I've long since had the ignorance knocked out of me, that's why I actually wanted to do something with my life. :thumbup:

If that something was using lazy cliches to mock the young and the poor on a football forum then I guess congratulations are in order. :thumbup: