Jump to content

Recommended Posts

1 hour ago, UpTheLeagueFox said:

Whatever the Govt (or any Govt) do, there'll be millions screaming for something different.

They try and help X - they're accused of not doing enough for Y

There's risks in whatever they choose and they'll be hammered either way.

Locking down to reduce deaths, the economy suffers and that's wrong.

Try and re-energise the economy, deaths rise and that's wrong.

Just seems impossible to find something to please the masses.

Oh I'm very sympathetic towards the difficulties of leading at this time. It must few difficult. 

 

I've no sympathy for the dishonesty and, at times, outright lying that they've been doing. They could stop the relentless lying and dishonesty. That might please quite a few folk. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Something for all those who seem to be focussing on only deaths to think about. I'm sick of repeating that the danger is not just dying, but people don't seem to be able to see past the death numbers.

 

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/stories-54106272

 

Yes she's asthmatic, but she's only 32, and was pretty fit and active before Covid. When people talk about shielding the vulnerable so that they can get on with their lives do they also include people like this? How many millions of them are there, like her?

  • Like 4
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, whoareyaaa said:

I love how the media has gone from reporting daily death to weekly deaths to give it that little bit more fear factor. 

 

They should report on the statistics below.

 

58 minutes ago, String fellow said:

According to the BBC, there were 71 deaths in the last 24 hours, the highest number since July 1st. Why play down this news? For many, it will be seen as a very ominous sign of things to come. 

 

Or not, if people analyse data correctly.

 

Valance's "prediction" (or whatever he refers to it as, in essence, a PREDICTION) shows his numbers in blue.  We're way off it.  Perhaps he will back down tomorrow, but if he continues to beat his drum, he's losing credibility imo.

 

 

Screenshot_20200929-184159_Samsung Internet.jpg

Link to post
Share on other sites

Is the 10pm parliament bar curfew exemption true or is it just a attention-grabbing headline? 

 

If so, that really is a kick to the balls and doesn't help eradicate the 'one rule for us, one rule for them' attitude... 

Link to post
Share on other sites
48 minutes ago, StanSP said:

Is the 10pm parliament bar curfew exemption true or is it just a attention-grabbing headline? 

 

If so, that really is a kick to the balls and doesn't help eradicate the 'one rule for us, one rule for them' attitude... 

Got me thinking that there must be loads of old money member clubs who are able to flout the rules somehow.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, StanSP said:

Is the 10pm parliament bar curfew exemption true or is it just a attention-grabbing headline? 

 

If so, that really is a kick to the balls and doesn't help eradicate the 'one rule for us, one rule for them' attitude... 

It was true as it classed as a work place like a canteen on a work site. They changed it as soon as it came to light in the headlines, still a huge kick in the balls though isn't it.

 

Now, onto the fact that we apparently subsidise the alcohol and food in the HoC with our taxes, ridiculous if true.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Nalis said:

Got me thinking that there must be loads of old money member clubs who are able to flout the rules somehow.

The members bar in the Houses of Parliament was one of them. They've now changed the rule to 10pm.

Link to post
Share on other sites

I have sympathy for students at the minute but they don't help themselves do they, pretty sure there are similar scenes within the halls at other universities too. Problem is I'd probably have been the same at that age. They just don't particularly care. 

 

The only way they'd have stopped this happening is to not open halls in the first place, but there was too much money to be had to do that.

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Parafox said:

It's okay Para, they're just letting off steam. On any normal day they'd all be in a swirl of depression because houses are expensive. :rolleyes:

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Innovindil said:

It's okay Para, they're just letting off steam. On any normal day they'd all be in a swirl of depression because houses are expensive. :rolleyes:

Don't tell me you've given into misanthropy at the state of the future like I have, Inno! :D

Link to post
Share on other sites

This is why they should be testing new flexible rules with students. Perfect age group to be trying it on and perfect time with them all returning. I'd have been exactly the same at uni. 18-21, away from home surrounded my mates and people the same age.

 

It's like giving a a gambling addict a couple of grand and then pushing them into the nearest bookies and walking off. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, leicsmac said:

Don't tell me you've given into misanthropy at the state of the future like I have, Inno! :D

My optimism is alas, wearing thin. Reckon I'm gonna pack up, go work in a coffee shop, and constantly complain that life sucks.

 

Least I'll get a free pass to PAAAAAAARTAAAAAYYYY. And free coffee ofcourse. :thumbup:

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Innovindil said:

My optimism is alas, wearing thin. Reckon I'm gonna pack up, go work in a coffee shop, and constantly complain that life sucks.

 

Least I'll get a free pass to PAAAAAAARTAAAAAYYYY. And free coffee ofcourse. :thumbup:

Don't worry, by the time you retire that coffee shop will be zero-G, so that'll be something. Promise! :thumbup:

Link to post
Share on other sites
21 hours ago, Wymsey said:

Can imagine most of the deaths were involving the older generation (50 years+).

Am concerned that any positives cases and/or deaths in care homes might multiply themselves.

 

 

"The older generation (50 years+)", you cheeky young pup!?!? 

 

I'd beat you in a foot race over 20 yards, you whippersnapper!

 

Well, I might do, if you promised to wear your hat and mask from your profile photo..... :D

  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Read an article on the BBC earlier stating 60,000 people have the so called “long covid” problems. That’s a lot of people, but as a percentage of people that have actually had it in the U.K., it’s probably quite small.

 

I’d be interested to know just how long term these cases are. Suspect we haven’t heard a great deal about it as I wouldn’t expect the media to jump on such positive news, if it exists.

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, RowlattsFox said:

I have sympathy for students at the minute but they don't help themselves do they, pretty sure there are similar scenes within the halls at other universities too. Problem is I'd probably have been the same at that age. They just don't particularly care. 

 

The only way they'd have stopped this happening is to not open halls in the first place, but there was too much money to be had to do that.

I agree with all you say in particular the sentence in bold. But when you hear them being interviewed, there are many who say they are isolating and can't get food or other necessary shopping because there's at least one positive case in their flat/shared house/halls of residence. They want to be allowed home to visit family etc. I have no real evidence but I imagine there's plenty of those "isolating" who want to "let off steam" as innovindil said and that they feel they have the right to do as they please as it's their first time away from home and they're young and literally "carefree". A time to live outside the rules of home. That's fine outside of this pandemic and I wish I gone to uni for that very reason. It's not so great now, though. The majority of the uptick in infections is in the 19-25 age group. No doubt they won't finish up in hospital on a ventilator but how do they know who they might put in that predicament? 

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, filbertway said:

This is why they should be testing new flexible rules with students. Perfect age group to be trying it on and perfect time with them all returning. I'd have been exactly the same at uni. 18-21, away from home surrounded my mates and people the same age.

 

It's like giving a a gambling addict a couple of grand and then pushing them into the nearest bookies and walking off. 

It used to be STD's that caused the student's to attend hospital. I guess times are different now.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, rachhere said:

So apparently the NHS test and trace app automatically sends you notifications to say that you have possibly been exposed, even if you aren't judged to have be at risk and do not need to isolate. Thanks for making me jump needlessly there... https://faq.covid19.nhs.uk/article/KA-01252/en-us 

You get notified of this when you download/installed the app and can turn off the notifications or Bluetooth so you don't get them. 

 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, rachhere said:

So apparently the NHS test and trace app automatically sends you notifications to say that you have possibly been exposed, even if you aren't judged to have be at risk and do not need to isolate. Thanks for making me jump needlessly there... https://faq.covid19.nhs.uk/article/KA-01252/en-us 

I had this morning. However every single place I checked in, I did it with someone else. I asked everyone else and no one else had a notification. 
 

I see there’s no change in patterns but the increase in hospitalisations is getting worrying 

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, rachhere said:

It says on the page I linked to that you cant turn it off?

I have the app, you can turn the Bluetooth off and therefore you won't get the notifications when you're out and about. Depends where you wanna go and have the app functioning/bluetooth turned on at the same time. 

 

It's still up to you if you wanna isolate should you be out and about after getting prompted you could be exposed to it :dunno:.

 

Just a way of being cautious and then you can take your own precautions even more so wherever you are. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...