Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
filbertway

Coronavirus Thread

Apparently, a chemical engineering research team in Cambridge has developed a technique which enables them to witness the virus attacking human cells in real time, as a result of tiny electrical signals occurring at the site of an attack being detected by an adjacent silicon chip. It means that different existing drugs can be tested very quickly, to see if any are effective in stopping the viral attacks, which has to be good news for guinea pigs and humans.    

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, String fellow said:

Apparently, a chemical engineering research team in Cambridge has developed a technique which enables them to witness the virus attacking human cells in real time, as a result of tiny electrical signals occurring at the site of an attack being detected by an adjacent silicon chip. It means that different existing drugs can be tested very quickly, to see if any are effective in stopping the viral attacks, which has to be good news for guinea pigs and humans.    

Don't suppose you could link where you've seen that?

Edited by UniFox21

On 23/09/2020 at 19:03, Col city fan said:

You misunderstand me

Of course I’m not advocating the gal on the till takes it upon herself to challenge Neanderthals

The point I was making is how on earth can this be enforced in any way?

With great difficulty but service staff are not the police, it isn't their job to enforce laws. It basically relies on common decency but unfortunately this country's been bereft of that for many years now

• Like 3

15 minutes ago, Carl the Llama said:

With great difficulty but service staff are not the police, it isn't their job to enforce laws. It basically relies on common decency but unfortunately this country's been bereft of that for many years now

Saw this letter from 23 CEO's of the UK 's top retailers to the government last week. I don't miss my time in retail one bit, especially now. Poor fvckers.

LEADING RETAIL CEOS AND INDUSTRY BODIES URGE PM TO ACT ON VIOLENCE AND ABUSE AGAINST SHOP WORKERS

CEOs from 23 major British retailers and the sector’s leading industry bodies have joined forces in writing to the Prime Minister to ask him to provide effective legal protection for shop workers in the face of increasing levels of abuse and violence.

The move comes in the week that Alex Norris MP is due to get a second reading of his private members bill – Assaults on Retail Workers – this Friday, 25th September. The bill calls upon the Government to create a new offence which would carry higher penalties for those that abuse or attack shop workers when they are trying to enforce the law on age-restricted sales. 

The British Retail Consortium’s 2020 retail crime survey showed that over 400 retail workers face violence and abuse in the workplace every day, with the incidents often the result of staff challenging shoplifters, or more recently, due to them trying to implement coronavirus safety measures.

Meanwhile, a 2020 crime report from the Association of Convenience stores found that a quarter of violence incidents resulted in injury, with a weapon used in almost 20% of occurrences. A knife was the most commonly used weapon (43%) with axes, hammers and syringes used to attack or threaten shopworkers.

Leicester uni is testing all staff and students to make sure everyone is with a positive case is identified. Great plan and at least makes students/staff/parents more at ease and confident about going to work/study. Think this should be standard amongst Univeristies now, ensures safety of both staff and students. 

2 hours ago, UniFox21 said:

Leicester uni is testing all staff and students to make sure everyone is with a positive case is identified. Great plan and at least makes students/staff/parents more at ease and confident about going to work/study. Think this should be standard amongst Univeristies now, ensures safety of both staff and students. 

Agree entirely.

In the absence of such measures some universities are recalling ancillary student facing and non-essential staff to stave off calls for refunds and fee reductions - simply by invoking the 'Covid Safe' workspaces which is a nonsense since the infection is dynamic and mutable. This is reckless to the extreme and I would not be in the least surprised to see brand damage in the inevitable event of a major outbreak on a municipal campus. 

13 minutes ago, Leicester_Loyal said:

Fed up of hearing about this Christmas bollocks, like you'd leave your grandparents alone for Christmas regardless of what the Government tells you.

O would leave them if I were absolutely certain it was in the best interests and the government would be abiding by their own rules. 

This current shower would have a big grandparent party at the house of the Cummings and laugh at your expense. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, UniFox21 said:

Oh no! I know I am a wimp but I really don't want a test. I have serious issues with my nose and get nosebleeds so easily, this isn't going to end well if we have to do the same! 

58 minutes ago, rachhere said:

Oh no! I know I am a wimp but I really don't want a test. I have serious issues with my nose and get nosebleeds so easily, this isn't going to end well if we have to do the same! 

Not sure how I'd feel actually having one, but I like how the university is offering them to students/staff. Given we have a testing facility on site as well.  

11 hours ago, UniFox21 said:

Presumably this in house rather than nhs, so over what time are they claiming to test everyone?

5 minutes ago, UniFox21 said:

No clue, just from what I've seen on the news and told by a relative studying there. 

Ah. I mean, it sounds good. But I bet it is test everyone over a period of weeks, which then rather lessens the effectiveness of it. You need to at prem league levels of testing every few days for it to be useful, and no way can unis afford that level of spending- especially this year.