Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
filbertway

Coronavirus Thread

1 hour ago, RumbleFox said:

He was asking to catch it. But hope he recovers, can’t wish that on anyone. Hopefully it makes him realise how serious this is but doubtful. X 

If he gets it mild, or even bad but recovers, it plays into his rhetoric perfectly. 'Look, I'm old, overweight - at risk according to the experts. But here I am. I told people it was nothing to worry about, and I'm here as living proof of that'.

I have no idea who this kid is, but why is this making the news. It's terrifying that this is making the news and the kid seemed to think he couldn't catch a virus because of his age. I say kid, he's a 21 year old man. Jesus christ.

image.png.8cc8f6bbe1f13d297e673844fcaf5b02.png

2 hours ago, filbertway said:

I have no idea who this kid is, but why is this making the news. It's terrifying that this is making the news and the kid seemed to think he couldn't catch a virus because of his age. I say kid, he's a 21 year old man. Jesus christ.

Jesus, do younger people generally think they can't catch/carry it, or is this jerk-off in the slim minority? If this thinking is widespread it absolutely needs stamping out in schools. Fvcking idiot

2 hours ago, filbertway said:

Interesting that he has no symptoms and is all good, false positive is highly likely.

• Like 1

The worrying thing is about Trump having it, he's hardly going to emerge from the other side going "I got it massively wrong, it's horrible and debilitating and you should all be taking maximum precautions to avoid catching it"

I can see him being very nonchalant about it, which might be the case when he's got the best medical care in the world. However if he starts with this rhetoric, it's going to endanger hundreds of thousands of his followers who will use it as an excuse to be even more complacent than they already are.

That coupled with the healthcare system in the US - and those in the population that don't have insurance - and it could be very dangerous.

1 minute ago, RoboFox said:

The worrying thing is about Trump having it, he's hardly going to emerge from the other side going "I got it massively wrong, it's horrible and debilitating and you should all be taking maximum precautions to avoid catching it"

I can see him being very nonchalant about it, which might be the case when he's got the best medical care in the world. However if he starts with this rhetoric, it's going to endanger hundreds of thousands of his followers who will use it as an excuse to be even more complacent than they already are.

That coupled with the healthcare system in the US - and those in the population that don't have insurance - and it could be very dangerous.

Exactly, he'll recover as he'll have the best doctors in the world, which will double down his opinion that it isn't something to worry about. How long does he have to isolate for? Terrible timing for his election campaign! 

Deaths seem to be rising slowly, but hardly the explosion that the lockdown enthusiasts are craving. 

11 minutes ago, Sol thewall Bamba said:

Exactly, he'll recover as he'll have the best doctors in the world, which will double down his opinion that it isn't something to worry about. How long does he have to isolate for? Terrible timing for his election campaign! 

Deaths seem to be rising slowly, but hardly the explosion that the lockdown enthusiasts are craving. 

Deaths will slowly rise during the winter, that's what happens every year, I have a feeling that the flu deaths added to corona deaths will add up to a standard flu year amount.

3 minutes ago, martyn said:

770 students tested positive at Northumbria Uni. Pretty massive outbreak.

There must've been a gathering. That's a ridiculous amount.

EDIT- Just had a look, many were out in Newcastle in pubs during the week.

2 hours ago, Leicester_Loyal said:

If you can get a huge fine for meeting in large groups etc, I think anyone doing this should get a criminal record. Traveling after having a test  so she knows she might have it, and also travelling after getting a positive test. Both those things are worthy of a criminal record, possibly community service.

Boris blaming the public’s “discipline” for cases going up.

This despite a nationwide campaign to get people out to pubs and restaurants which ended only a month ago. He might be right in that the public became complacent but no more so than the government.

25 minutes ago, ttfn said:

Boris blaming the public’s “discipline” for cases going up.

This despite a nationwide campaign to get people out to pubs and restaurants which ended only a month ago. He might be right in that the public became complacent but no more so than the government.

Not sure its complacency, restrictions were always going to come and go given the delicate balancing act of keeping the economy going and minimising the effects on public health.  

1 hour ago, cambridgefox said:

Daughter tested positive today.

she has been isolating for a week as she is in a shared house whilst at univ of Nottingham ,and one of the girls tested positive last weekend.

All 5 in the house have it now and only one feels slightly ill.

Hopefully that’s how it stays.

Lets hope your daughter and her house mates all make a speedy recovery.

• Like 4

On 01/10/2020 at 20:43, joachim1965 said:

probably not,  but do you seriously think we now have 7000 cases a day? 

The false positives must be huge, influenza is killing 10 times more people at the moment than covid,  the deaths from untreated and undiagnosed cancer will be horrendous,  not to mention suicides and people just giving up in care homes due to being isolated from family, the solution cannot be expected to be worse than the problem but unfortunately it is.

I have a lot of sympathy with the general point you are trying to get across - but do you have any proof for that highlighted?

My view is that your point about flu, along with the one about “people being run over a bus” (who have tested +ve for Covid and thus a Covid statistic), are two arguments oft cited.  And, typically, if you read/ hear it often enough you begin believing it (and want others to believe it to support that position).

That is my reason for questioning you.  I suspect you are wrong but happy to be proved wrong myself.

40 minutes ago, zorro en españa said:

I have a lot of sympathy with the general point you are trying to get across - but do you have any proof for that highlighted?

Here's a link for you.  The table can be found in section 2, the xlsx download.

https://www.ons.gov.uk/peoplepopulationandcommunity/birthsdeathsandmarriages/deaths/bulletins/deathsregisteredweeklyinenglandandwalesprovisional/weekending18september2020#deaths-data

In summary, the 6 weeks covering August and the first half of September (to 18th Sept.) showed 55,128 deaths registered in England and Wales, of which 694 mentioned Covid or Covid and pneumonia, and 6,389 mentioned flu and/or pneumonia but not Covid.

Obviously we know that a fairly high proportion - perhaps two thirds of flu/pneumonia deaths are were not primarily caused by flu/pneumonia, there was another underlying cause and flu/pneumonia just happened to be the final straw.  But the same is also true of Covid.  What's the proportion?  I can't find any statistics to say.  

But that's the rationale for saying flu and pneumonia are currently killing more people than Covid.  It's taken from death certificates.  

• Like 2