Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
filbertway

Coronavirus Thread

37 minutes ago, String fellow said:

With regard to the UK leading the great European vaccine race, I made a similar point before Christmas, but got nothing but ridicule here for having made it. Sadly, today there have been 1564 further deaths, which is a record daily number.

Following late edition data going back to May

9 hours ago, Cardiff_Fox said:

Really scratching my head here. What is informing the decision to increase restrictions? It’s morbid and horrid to say but the damage is done on deaths and hospitalisations as they are the result of decisions made in mid December.

They seem to think that continually restricting us will make those that don't comply fall in line eventually. It won't. All it will do is restrict further what sensible and thoughtful people are able to do. 

I'd imagine schools and universities closing or partially opening will drive down infections for a while.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Dunge said:

ould, but as I understand it very, very unlikely. The far-more-likely issue with mutations are that they render the vaccine less effective by some degree rather than completely null; by what degree seems unknown at this point but will continue to be monitored. But even then, apparently at least some of the vaccines are “tweakable” (Is that a word? I’m using it anyway). I guess that means there could well be future vaccine rollouts, although there’s a good chance that prospect is hanging over us anyway.

Believe it's similar to the flu in that it has multiple strains. The newer strains of Covid are more contagious, but I hear are less virulent. The virus wants to spread...not die out...so it doesn't want to kill it's host. At least this vaccine is offering some effectiveness as you mention.

Guest Harrydc
2 minutes ago, Legend_in_blue said:

Just how on earth did we get here?  Ridiculous.

World's gone bonkers. Breathing heavily.. Maybe we should hold our breath when running. 

4 hours ago, Leicester_Loyal said:

I believe some people are being offered taxis in order to get them to their vaccine appointment. I don't know what the criteria for it is, certain age, certain mobility issues, what time your appointment is or how far the vaccination centre is maybe. This will allow people to get to appointments at like 11pm-6am.

Someone also mentioned the supply is the issue not the 24/7 vaccinations, which is true, but the sooner we get more people vaccined the better.

Any idea of how much of the vaccine that we can physically manufacture per day/week?

13 minutes ago, yorkie1999 said:

Any idea of how much of the vaccine that we can physically manufacture per day/week?

No idea mate.

Looks like they've stopped the numbers of vaccine stocks we have from being published too.

'Nadhim Zahawi, No10's minister for Covid-19 Vaccine Deployment, and bosses of drug firm AstraZeneca said they couldn't put numbers on the vaccine deliveries because of 'national security'.'

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-9142597/AstraZeneca-says-deliver-2m-doses-week-imminently.html

13 minutes ago, Heathrow fox said:

Haven’t half noticed a rise in the fear factor this week.A lot more effort being taken to keep apart.Starting with a trip to Tesco’s on Sunday,where everyone seemed a lot more considerate.To being at work where the awareness has definitely gone up 1000%.

Maybe this is partly due to this week's news bulletins, which have showed quite a bit of footage of what it's really like inside Covid-19 hospital wards. Let's hope that the keeping apart message will soon be observed by all footballers, some of whom are still getting far too close, especially when celebrating a goal. Even if they themselves are all clear of the virus, such behaviour sends a very poor message to on-lookers. 

I know there's been talk about the age of people going into intensive care, I've heard it on the radio and also in my workplace, 'they're filling up with 20 and 30 year olds now' was one quote. I've just tried to do some research on it and found this article from a couple of days ago.

'In intensive care, the average age of Covid patients in the second wave is 60.2 compared with 58.8 in the first wave.'

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-55586994

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, filbertway said:

Infections seem to be on a clear downward trajectory now which is good news. This week was always going to be the worst for deaths with Christmas.

Just to add, the death toll is slightly misleading (and it’s always been the case) that it’s deaths recorded in the last 28 days. The highest death toll in recent days for an exact day is in the region of 850

4 minutes ago, Cardiff_Fox said:

Just to add, the death toll is slightly misleading (and it’s always been the case) that it’s deaths recorded in the last 28 days. The highest death toll in recent days for an exact day is in the region of 850

In which case, I could imagine the death rate may remain fairly high until mid feb with a fairly sharp decline happening through the rest of feb.