Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
filbertway

Coronavirus Thread

Just now, Corky said:

Hancock- "I know you are all dead but it's vitally important we stick to hands, face, space".

And despite everyone being dead and everything, I think we can all agree that its super duper news that the death rate is now nil.

We have finally triumphed over this most deadly of viruses whilst unemployment AND furlough are at an all time low of zero. Well done us!

12 minutes ago, StanSP said:

Will Gavin Williamson still force kids to go school when they're dead?

Baffling minister for education - seems to have an open hatred of schools and teachers and little to no empathy for children. 

I'm not sure I could do much worse if I tried. 

Edited by foxile5

2 hours ago, Leicester_Loyal said:

I know there's been talk about the age of people going into intensive care, I've heard it on the radio and also in my workplace, 'they're filling up with 20 and 30 year olds now' was one quote. I've just tried to do some research on it and found this article from a couple of days ago.

'In intensive care, the average age of Covid patients in the second wave is 60.2 compared with 58.8 in the first wave.'

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-55586994

Whilst acknowledging your original point in the first paragraph, 60 is still surprising young, at least to me. I know when you’re 20, someone aged 60 seems very old, ready to die at any time, and should probably be measured for a coffin, but when you get there it really doesn’t feel like that.

Also, if that’s the average, it does mean that there would be quite a few people younger than 60 to balance all the older lot.

Edited by WigstonWanderer
  • Like 2

18 minutes ago, WigstonWanderer said:

Whilst acknowledging your original point in the first paragraph, 60 is still surprising young, at least to me. I know when you’re 20, someone aged 60 seems very old, ready to die at any time, and should probably be measured for a coffin, but when you get there it really doesn’t feel like that.

Also, if that’s the average, it does mean that there would be quite a few people younger than 60 to balance all the older lot.

I think the key thing LL was getting at is that the narrative in the media has changed.

There was a suggestion that it was affecting younger generations significantly more now with the new strain than it was before, but based on those numbers that doesn't appear to be the case.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, ajthefox said:

I think the key thing LL was getting at is that the narrative in the media has changed.

There was a suggestion that it was affecting younger generations significantly more now with the new strain than it was before, but based on those numbers that doesn't appear to be the case.

Yes, I acknowledged that

3 minutes ago, Nuneatonfox in Manchester said:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-55653161

New strain in brazil, no clarity if this will impact the vaccine.

"A covid committee will meet on Thursday to discuss the possibility of stopping flights from Brazil"

FFS do it now! NOW!

To be fair there are lots of Brazilians who work in the UK and I guess Brits who live in Brazil. An outright flight ban is a pretty extreme measure and we're supposed to be requiring negative tests (finally) for people to enter the country so that should help at least.

3 minutes ago, bovril said:

To be fair there are lots of Brazilians who work in the UK and I guess Brits who live in Brazil. An outright flight ban is a pretty extreme measure and we're supposed to be requiring negative tests (finally) for people to enter the country so that should help at least.

Negative tests needed from Friday, so could already be too late.

When the news of the new UK strain broke, I would not expect to be able to travel anywhere abroad, no matter what the reason.

Who knows, maybe if we showed such ruthless initiative back in Jan/Feb last year, we may well have been in a much better position.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Nuneatonfox in Manchester said:

Negative tests needed from Friday, so could already be too late.

When the news of the new UK strain broke, I would not expect to be able to travel anywhere abroad, no matter what the reason.

Who knows, maybe if we showed such ruthless initiative back in Jan/Feb last year, we may well have been in a much better position.

Well yes it's 11 months too late.

7 hours ago, Dunge said:

Could, but as I understand it very, very unlikely. The far-more-likely issue with mutations are that they render the vaccine less effective by some degree rather than completely null; by what degree seems unknown at this point but will continue to be monitored. But even then, apparently at least some of the vaccines are “tweakable” (Is that a word? I’m using it anyway). I guess that means there could well be future vaccine rollouts, although there’s a good chance that prospect is hanging over us anyway.

Yup. As of yet, the mutations are not really of any concern in terms of the vaccines bringing an end to this mess. This science is roughly:

The Pfizer (and I think moderna, if that's mrna too) vaccine works by teaching the body how the recognise the spike protein of the virus cell

The spike protein is what the virus uses to invade our cells, and start replicating. 

The spike protein is also the site of the mutations we are seeing in the virus.

If the virus mutated enough that the vaccines are no longer are effective in anyway, it will likely be less infectious, because it means the virus has mutated away from what is uses to enter our cells

So the vaccines we have should be just fine. But you're right that now we have the tech in place, we can tweak the vaccine. I think we're likely to see this with the new more easy to transmit mutation of the virus by the end of the year.

The big question for the data we're collecting is how long our immune systems remember how to defeat the virus.

3 hours ago, WigstonWanderer said:

Oh definitely mate I agree with you. I was just pointing out it's not worse than last time in terms of the age of ICU patients.

PS. Do you not get measured for your coffin at 60 then? Always thought you did:whistle:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, Leicester_Loyal said:

Oh definitely mate I agree with you. I was just pointing out it's not worse than last time in terms of the age of ICU patients.

PS. Do you not get measured for your coffin at 60 then? Always thought you did:whistle:

Haha, my kids, family, friends and wife did suggest it, but so far I have declined.

Edited by WigstonWanderer

12 hours ago, StanSP said:

Will Gavin Williamson still force kids to go school when they're dead?

"We'd have never been allowed to send dead kids to school if we were still in the EU..." - Michael Gove

#takingbackcontrol

Edited by Buce
  • Like 1
  • Haha 3