Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
filbertway

Coronavirus Thread

3 hours ago, Nod.E said:

As much as I'm on board with the need to lockdown this time around, this is a silly comparison.

80 year olds succumbing to a virus, while still tragic, is not the same thing as people any age being bombed.

If you tallied up the years of expected lost years of life, it'd be a different picture.

If you think this virus only kills 80 yr olds you really aren’t reading.

Any why quantify it by age anyway? Do you think someone aged 50-60 wants to die of this virus any more than someone aged 20-30?

How old are you? 20’s. 30’s....? You might feel very differently when your 50?

https://www.ons.gov.uk/peoplepopulationandcommunity/healthandsocialcare/conditionsanddiseases/articles/coronaviruscovid19roundup/2020-03-26

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Col city fan said:

If you think this virus only kills 80 yr olds you really aren’t reading.

Any why quantify it by age anyway? Do you think someone aged 50-60 wants to die of this virus any more than someone aged 20-30?

How old are you? 20’s. 30’s....? You might feel very differently when your 50?

https://www.ons.gov.uk/peoplepopulationandcommunity/healthandsocialcare/conditionsanddiseases/articles/coronaviruscovid19roundup/2020-03-26

I didn't say it 'only' kills people that age. It's the bulk of it, though. On the link you've provided, far and away the biggest groups for deaths are 75+ and 65-74.

Yes there are deaths younger than that but you start to get into negligible numbers.

It's not quite that they 'would have died anyway', more that what COVID is doing is ending lives by a number of years you can count on one, maybe two hands. That's why I'm quantifying by age.

So it's not comparable to war, which was my only point here.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, fuchsntf said:

I thought they kept 2-3 ,for back-up..

They have. 

Here's a story for 2 days ago saying the London Nightingale has accepted patients (but of course it went largely under the radar because of the distraction story about drinking coffee and/or footballers celebrating) - https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-55619580

It appears they are wisely using them as recovery/rehab to open up beds at hospitals with ICU facilities. 

23 minutes ago, Nod.E said:

I didn't say it 'only' kills people that age. It's the bulk of it, though. On the link you've provided, far and away the biggest groups for deaths are 75+ and 65-74.

Yes there are deaths younger than that but you start to get into negligible numbers.

It's not quite that they 'would have died anyway', more that what COVID is doing is ending lives by a number of years you can count on one, maybe two hands. That's why I'm quantifying by age.

That’s a very strange way to look at ‘life’ mate and I think I’d I asked virtually all of the fit and healthy 65 plus in our country they’d argue that they’d rather not have their lives cut short (let’s face it, in some cases by MANY years) by dying on a ventilator.

As I said, let’s see if you would feel the same when you’re 65

A life is a life imo.

Forgive me if I’m wrong but your posts almost smack, to me at least, that because some is ‘old’ and hasn’t got much time to go, it’s less of an issue.

Try saying that to my mum, who’s 75 and shielding. 

Edited by Col city fan

Good helpful advice in today’s Leicester Mercury ...   in the questions answered section the last question is  ‘Can I help ?’ ....  and the answer is, yes you can ! ...   get down to Iceland and buy some meat in the sale ! ....    :)

8B23757E-8BAF-4E01-A5A7-02FDC6FDB19A.jpeg

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, Countryfox said:

Good helpful advice in today’s Leicester Mercury ...   in the questions answered section the last question is  ‘Can I help ?’ ....  and the answer is, yes you can ! ...   get down to Iceland and buy some meat in the sale ! ....    :)

8B23757E-8BAF-4E01-A5A7-02FDC6FDB19A.jpeg

I can see why the marmalade gammon joint is heavily discounted. We had one of those at Christmas from Sainsbury's and frankly it was awful.

Never been more keenly aware that a pig had to die for that

• Haha 2

56 minutes ago, Nod.E said:

One of the reasons that the deaths have been effecting the elderly is because younger people, in their 50s and 60s respond well to treatment.  Lots of people in their 60's get hospitalised with it.  The big fear is that if the NHS does fall over under the strain, then the age of those dying will come down dramatically.

9 minutes ago, nnfox said:

One of the reasons that the deaths have been effecting the elderly is because younger people, in their 50s and 60s respond well to treatment.  Lots of people in their 60's get hospitalised with it.  The big fear is that if the NHS does fall over under the strain, then the age of those dying will come down dramatically.

You know your stuff mate

👍

18 hours ago, ealingfox said:

He does seem to have got it wrong just about every time.  Weird really, as almost no sceptics are saying any of these things.  Most are talking about whether the side effects of Lockdown are worse than the impact of not locking down, whether masks make any difference etc.

1 hour ago, Cardiff_Fox said:

They have. 

Here's a story for 2 days ago saying the London Nightingale has accepted patients (but of course it went largely under the radar because of the distraction story about drinking coffee and/or footballers celebrating) - https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-55619580

It appears they are wisely using them as recovery/rehab to open up beds at hospitals with ICU facilities. 

The nurses look a bit rough.

36 minutes ago, nnfox said:

This concept of the NHS falling over is a strange one, as it seems to imply that existing capacity goes away somehow, rather than there being a proportion of patients who they cannot treat as they would like.  I guess they will continue to prioritise patients with a better chance of survival, so I'm not sure it follows that we need a significant drop in average age.

3 minutes ago, whoareyaaa said:

I reckon a lot of people going into ICUs is due to panic attacks not the actual virus itself.

Based on what?  When my son was born he spent weeks in an ICU, and from what I observed in my time there with him, they don't move people into those units lightly.  It's reserved for people fighting for their lives.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Chocolate Teapot said:

This is genuinely encouraging news. Anyone else starting to think we might get back to the KP for the Morgan and duchs farewell game?

To be fair to the Government, they set ambitious testing numbers and got there, hopefully they can do it again with vaccinations. If we can get to 500K a day we'll be rocketing out of this. 

3 minutes ago, Sol thewall Bamba said:

To be fair to the Government, they set ambitious testing numbers and got there, hopefully they can do it again with vaccinations. If we can get to 500K a day we'll be rocketing out of this. 

They need to go at a rate of between 385,000 - 400,000 a day from now on to hit the target of 15 million by 15th February. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Sol thewall Bamba said:

Did they? 

58 minutes ago, whoareyaaa said:

I reckon a lot of people going into ICUs is due to panic attacks not the actual virus itself.

Christ. I thought this type of post had been condemned to the dustbin

Read up on panic attacks mate then think through your post

Edited by Col city fan
  • Like 2

3 minutes ago, Sol thewall Bamba said:

They targeted 100k initially and got laughed at, now we're at about 500k a day aren't we? 

Just looked, 628,556 tests on Wednesday. 

I feel convinced some people will only be happy if the govt claim we can do a million vaccines a day, so that when we ‘ONLY’ do 500 k per day they can claim failure and demand Hancock be sent to the gallows

:ph34r:

• Thanks 1

47 minutes ago, Sol thewall Bamba said:

Got a good feeling, 300K vaccinations today :fc:

These numbers and the prediction that the R rate is as low as 0.6 in many places I'm finally starting to feel like we are close! 

Best I've felt in weeks mentally. 

• Like 2

Just now, EastAnglianFox said:

These numbers and the prediction that the R rate is as low as 0.6 in many places I'm finally starting to feel like we are close! 

Best I've felt in weeks mentally. 

It feels like the combo of the lockdown together with the vaccine rate is having an effect

I so hope the Brazilian variant doesn’t rear its ugly head now 

• Like 1