Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
filbertway

Coronavirus Thread

6 minutes ago, Foxy_Bear said:

We are talking about a health secretary that no constituent voted to put in that position serving in a cabinet for a prime minister that no constituent voted to put into power at the head of a party that the vast majority of people in my country voted against....

What relevance does democracy play in any of this?!

If accuracy is important, it might be worth noting that only 38% of the electorate voted for parties other than the Conservatives.  That's not any sort of majority, let alone a vast one.

7 minutes ago, Dahnsouff said:

I was certainly not referring to the politics of madness we see in the US currently

Neither was I per se - more the sway that it exerts on popular opinion and its potential for manipulation. 

1 minute ago, Dahnsouff said:

So....we should automatically call a GE when the current PM dies/faces a vote of no confidence/kidnapped by aliens/etc?

Or run a national poll to pick ministers?

I didnt suggest any of that. I'm merely pointing out that bringing the argument of democracy (the dictionary definition being a government that's leader are chosen by the people) whilst discussing a member of the government that no one voted for, serving a PM that no one voted for umder the umbrella of a party that few in my country voted for is fairly ironic. 

• Like 1

Just now, Line-X said:

Neither was I per se - more the sway that it exerts on popular opinion and its potential for manipulation. 

Oh for sure, this is beyond dispute. However, should influencers supplant the need for a political career progression? One would hope not.

3 minutes ago, dsr-burnley said:

If accuracy is important, it might be worth noting that only 38% of the electorate voted for parties other than the Conservatives.  That's not any sort of majority, let alone a vast one.

Attention to detail is also important. Note I stated "my country". My country is Scotland where only 25% of people voted conservative,making my statement 100% accurate.

7 minutes ago, StanSP said:

I'd say highlighting the incompetency of government should never be a boring thing to discuss, and that goes for whoever is in power.

Maybe (any) government should be less incompetent, be a bit more sympathetic, show a little honesty and respect for the people they are leading, show some leadership, some authority, some humanity and then this area of the forum might be a little less busy :D:shutup:

Nah, still boring. :yawn:

5 minutes ago, Foxy_Bear said:

I didnt suggest any of that. I'm merely pointing out that bringing the argument of democracy (the dictionary definition being a government that's leader are chosen by the people) whilst discussing a member of the government that no one voted for, serving a PM that no one voted for umder the umbrella of a party that few in my country voted for is fairly ironic. 

Oh quite agree with this reasoning, the democratic processes defined in this country are being followed though, so it is only at it most pure we should be seen as not democratic.

The validity of these processes are quite up for critical debate however  lol

(But please let us speak in terms of parties rather than individuals, we are not supposed to not be a talent show democracy)

Edited by Dahnsouff

4 minutes ago, Dahnsouff said:

Oh quite agree with this reasoning, the democratic processes defined in this country are being followed though, so it is only at it most pure we should be seen as not democratic.

The validity of these processes are quite up for critical debate however  lol

(But please let us speak in terms of parties rather than individuals, we are not supposed to not be a talent show democracy)

Even so, being Scottish where (as I've touched on above) our vote doesn't actually effect election results thus being void of having any say in which party rules over us, it's hard to apply democracy in its definition either way. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Foxy_Bear said:

Even so, being Scottish where (as I've touched on above) our vote doesn't actually effect election results thus being void of having any say in which party rules over us, it's hard to apply democracy in its definition either way. 

I lost Brexit, so can I join?  :D 

1 minute ago, Foxy_Bear said:

That's not just Scotland though, it applies to over half the country. We have a system where a party can get 40% of the vote and have 100% of power. 

Although I get the argument that Scotland is a separate nation that effectively has little say over the direction it wants to go in. 

Edited by bovril
  • Like 1

Just now, bovril said:

That's not just Scotland though, it applies to over half the country. We have a system where a party can get 40% of the vote and have 100% of power. 

Bit sensationalist? By 40% I presume you mean "highest portion of those that bothered voting" ?

Just now, Foxy_Bear said:

Mon up mate. No foreigners up here, just Scots that talk funny. 

Spent enough time in Glasgow (For work) to know to stay well clear  :thumbup:

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Dahnsouff said:

Bit sensationalist? By 40% I presume you mean "highest portion of those that bothered voting" ?

Which further serves his point.

We are ruled by a govt voted for by a minority.

1 minute ago, Dahnsouff said:

Spent enough time in Glasgow (For work) to know to stay well clear  :thumbup:

Haha, yeah. Their motto of "people make Glasgow" always tickled me. Absolutely no mention that the people of Glasgow are bams. 

Edited by Foxy_Bear

1 minute ago, Buce said:

Which further serves his point.

We are ruled by a govt voted for by a minority.

Perhaps so, but this is a system fault rather than a fault of any given government, no?

9 minutes ago, Izzy said:

Just found out an ex work colleague of mine from back in the day died of Covid yesterday.

He was only 56 and leaves behind a wife and five kids.

Sad news :cry:

I'm sorry to hear that, it's pretty shit isn't it? Another of my friends lost a parent yesterday too, that's the second one. Really not that old, either.

• Sad 2

https://www.leicestermercury.co.uk/news/leicester-news/leicesters-coronavirus-rates-hit-highest-4882010

Leicester's coronavirus rates hit highest levels throughout the whole pandemic
'This is the most critical time we have faced'

ByDan MartinPolitics Reporter
19:03, 12 JAN 2021

Coronavirus infection rates in Leicester have this week hit their highest levels of the whole pandemic.

Today the seven-day incidence rate in the city reached 570 cases per 100,000 people eclipsing the 529.9 cases per 100,000 during the November spike in infections.

The current infection rate is nearly four times the level that pushed the city into the UK’s first local lockdown nearly 200 days ago.

The city’s public health officials have again urged people to stick to the national lockdown rules to try to keep the virus under control while the vaccine is being rolled out.

They are urging people to abide by the ‘Stay at Home’ rules and only go out on essential trips or for limited exercise as well reminding them not to mix with people outside their households.

Officials have also warned that the city’s hospitals are under increasing pressure treating people suffering from the virus.

More than 2,000 people in the city have tested positive for Covid-19 in the last seven days.

Latest Government figures (Tues) show there are 324 people with Covid-19 being cared for at the Leicester Royal Infirmary, Glenfield and General hospital with 31 of those patients on ventilation.

The Department of Health and Social Care says 20 people in the city have this week died of Covid-19.

Leicester City Council’s director of public health professor Ivan Browne: “We have seen a really big increase in our infection rates, certainly post Christmas, and in terms of the pandemic as a whole this is the most critical time we have faced in terms of the numbers, the actions and the fragility of the system.

“It's important we keep on top of this and comply with the rules.

“I know we have been through a lot in this city and we have been locked down a lot longer than anybody else but this is the really critical time for us.

“The difference this time is there is hope around where we are headed with the vaccine but we cannot take our eye off the ball in terms of the key things we do now.”

“We must all stay at home except for specific reasons, such as essential shopping, exercise or work if you absolutely cannot work from home.

People have been reminded to:

Stay two metres apart from anyone they do not live with.

Wash or sanitise their hands regularly.

Wear a face covering on buses, in shops and in any space where distancing is difficult.

Book a test and self-isolate as soon as they get symptoms.

If they test positive, continue to stay at home for at least 10 days and until they feel better.