Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
filbertway

Coronavirus Thread

8 minutes ago, Col city fan said:

It feels like the combo of the lockdown together with the vaccine rate is having an effect

I so hope the Brazilian variant doesn’t rear its ugly head now 

I was massively worried about the new Brazilian variant and the possibility that the vaccine would have no affect against it, but have now heard on the radio from those involved in the current roll out process that the tweaking of a vaccine if required to fight new variants could be achieved within weeks, which is a relief to know. 

Edited by EastAnglianFox

1 hour ago, Jon the Hat said:

This concept of the NHS falling over is a strange one, as it seems to imply that existing capacity goes away somehow, rather than there being a proportion of patients who they cannot treat as they would like.  I guess they will continue to prioritise patients with a better chance of survival, so I'm not sure it follows that we need a significant drop in average age.

I suppose it's a supply and demand situation and it isn't just a case of demand outstripping supply, it's more of a double edged sword than that.

The more people that contract the virus, the more people go to hospital.  It isn't as simple as saying, for argument's sake that if a hospital can treat 1000 people and 1500 require treatment, then the hospital will effectively have to send 500 away to fend for themselves.  That approach assumes that NHS capacity is unaffected.  But it is a little more fluid than that because doctors and nurses also get the virus, meaning they have to self-isolate.  They are not an infinite resource and so capacity does reduce.  There is no point in having 1000 patients requiring 24/7 treatment if you only have enough resources to treat 500.  If a large proportion of patients are in their 60s but can't get the treatment they need, they die.  Either in hospital or at home.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, nnfox said:

I suppose it's a supply and demand situation and it isn't just a case of demand outstripping supply, it's more of a double edged sword than that.

The more people that contract the virus, the more people go to hospital.  It isn't as simple as saying, for argument's sake that if a hospital can treat 1000 people and 1500 require treatment, then the hospital will effectively have to send 500 away to fend for themselves.  That approach assumes that NHS capacity is unaffected.  But it is a little more fluid than that because doctors and nurses also get the virus, meaning they have to self-isolate.  They are not an infinite resource and so capacity does reduce.  There is no point in having 1000 patients requiring 24/7 treatment if you only have enough resources to treat 500.  If a large proportion of patients are in their 60s but can't get the treatment they need, they die.  Either in hospital or at home.

I suspect that if the hospital has the resources to treat 1000 and 1500 turn up, they will treat all 1500 and stretch themselves thinner to do it.  These are medical professionals making that decision, remember.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Col city fan said:

I feel convinced some people will only be happy if the govt claim we can do a million vaccines a day, so that when we ‘ONLY’ do 500 k per day they can claim failure and demand Hancock be sent to the gallows

:ph34r:

The Government's handling of the whole thing has been shambolic but testing those kind of testing numbers are commendable to be fair. There must be more capacity across the system as well as the walk in testing centre near me is almost always deserted, and it's similar at the drive in centre at the University as well. 

37 minutes ago, Sol thewall Bamba said:

They targeted 100k initially and got laughed at, now we're at about 500k a day aren't we? 

Just looked, 628,556 tests on Wednesday. 

Sorry, I meant they had an initial target by a certain date at some point last year and totally missed it. 

So yeah, they got to their eventual target but not when they wanted to. 

(obviously it's good they got to it, don't get me wrong. But they missed their own target they set for it. I think they were over ambitious and overpromised).

32 minutes ago, Col city fan said:

I feel convinced some people will only be happy if the govt claim we can do a million vaccines a day, so that when we ‘ONLY’ do 500 k per day they can claim failure and demand Hancock be sent to the gallows

:ph34r:

You're boring now. 

• Like 4

5 minutes ago, Sol thewall Bamba said:

The Government's handling of the whole thing has been shambolic but testing those kind of testing numbers are commendable to be fair. There must be more capacity across the system as well as the walk in testing centre near me is almost always deserted, and it's similar at the drive in centre at the University as well. 

Do you mean vaccinating? Testing centres and vaccination hubs are two different things?

6 minutes ago, StanSP said:

You're boring now. 

What and you aren’t!?

Imagine if the government had set low targets for vaccines? You and all the other negativists would have jumped on their backs about lack of ambition and care. They can’t win

👍

Edited by Col city fan
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, BenTheFox said:

They need to go at a rate of between 385,000 - 400,000 a day from now on to hit the target of 15 million by 15th February. 

Easily possible IMO if we were at 288k yesterday already. Should be at well over 300k by the end of the weekend, with more and more vaccination centres being approved and put into place daily.

22 minutes ago, Col city fan said:

What and you aren’t!?

Imagine if the government had set low targets for vaccines? You and all the other negativists would have jumped on their backs about lack of ambition and care. They can’t win

👍

Would we? 

If the government set their own target , and they miss it, they're fair game. What's not to get about that? 

They can win. I think they've done very well on the vaccine front and as said yesterday (have you forgotten?) I would love if they met that target. 

If I remember correctly (and happy to be corrected), did the government not get creative with the testing numbers after it was shown that they were going to miss their targets per day? 

I don't know what job you do but if you miss your targets, regularly or not, I'm sure you'll come under some level of scrutiny. And then maybe you'll take it on the chin, learn from it and do better next time. I can't say the government always do that. They seem to make the same mistakes over and over again (if they prove me wrong with the vaccine stuff, then fair play). But I think it's fair to point out when they miss their own targets they set for themselves. 

At what point, in your eyes, should or will they come under any scrutiny or criticism without the disclaimer of 'it's a tough unenviable job'? 

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, Leicester_Loyal said:

Just also want to add how much more positive everyone seems to be now we know we've got a vaccine and we're seeing the numbers daily. Everyday feels like we're getting closer to getting out of this, then at the end of the day you see huge vaccination numbers which far exceed your expectations and it's generating positive IMO.

It's why I've been surprised at people's negative mindsets. The numbers we're seeing would be expected after people were lax around christmas. We're now coming through the other side and things are gonna be looking a whole world different in 2 months.

The thing we've not had yet and will happen is people who have had the vaccine dying. That's going to be massive news and will be blown massively out of proportion, I might just have the day off the internet when that happens.

4 minutes ago, filbertway said:

It's why I've been surprised at people's negative mindsets. The numbers we're seeing would be expected after people were lax around christmas. We're now coming through the other side and things are gonna be looking a whole world different in 2 months.

The thing we've not had yet and will happen is people who have had the vaccine dying. That's going to be massive news and will be blown massively out of proportion, I might just have the day off the internet when that happens.

Might the media have the good sense to handle the last point sensitively?You would hope so but I very much doubt it.

16 minutes ago, Leicester_Loyal said:

Just also want to add how much more positive everyone seems to be now we know we've got a vaccine and we're seeing the numbers daily. Everyday feels like we're getting closer to getting out of this, then at the end of the day you see huge vaccination numbers which far exceed your expectations and it's generating positive IMO.

It's funny because I've been under the impression that some people are worried that revealing vaccination figures will result in people becoming complacent and less likely to comply with the restrictions. It's had the complete opposite impact on me. Now that I can see a potential way out I feel far less frustrated by the whole situation and I'm more than happy to see it through. 

• Like 2

Just now, Heathrow fox said:

Might the media have the good sense to handle the last point sensitively?You would hope so but I very much doubt it.

Based on how they've handled most news, I very much doubt it.

It'll be sensationalist reporting for a day or two followed by them then explaining why it's not as bad as they made out.

• Like 3

46 minutes ago, The People's Hero said:

I wish someone would whatsapp me that thing about putting the vaccine in beer. I feel like I need to see it for a 200th time.

Talking of :beer: did anyone else watch that ITV panorama equivalent last night they did a 'When will i get the vaccine' (or something along those lines) because within that they mentioned a recommendation of not drinking alcohol a few days before & up to 2 weeks after the jab. Thats something i haven't heard before & they never really went into detail, anyone shed any further light if this is an actual recommendation?

44 minutes ago, filbertway said:

Based on how they've handled most news, I very much doubt it.

It'll be sensationalist reporting for a day or two followed by them then explaining why it's not as bad as they made out.

Don’t you just know it

I could write the headline tonight for the beeb:

’Whilst putting their own health and safety at risk, vaccinators have come out in their droves to try to help the people of this country and the government to reach their lofty targets for vaccines’

TOGETHER WITH PEOPLE USING THEIR COMMON SENSE DURING THE LATEST LOCKDOWN, This looks to be having a good effect...

(cut to some random video of members of the public being interviewed outside vaccination hubs, claiming how they are very thankful they have received their first vaccination and how the process was incredibly streamlined’

There, that’d give people a boost wouldn’t it..

Edited by Col city fan