Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
filbertway

Coronavirus Thread

6 minutes ago, dsr-burnley said:

I don't care whether they meet the target or not.  I care that they get the job done quickly, and if it helps to set an ambitious target that they don't reach, so be it.

If they aim for 5m per week and hit 4m, is that failure?  If they aim for 2m per week and hit 2.5m, is that success?  Possibly.  But the 4m failure would be a lot lot better than the 2.5m success.

Hallelujah 

36 minutes ago, BKLFox said:

Talking of :beer: did anyone else watch that ITV panorama equivalent last night they did a 'When will i get the vaccine' (or something along those lines) because within that they mentioned a recommendation of not drinking alcohol a few days before & up to 2 weeks after the jab. Thats something i haven't heard before & they never really went into detail, anyone shed any further light if this is an actual recommendation?

Sounds like a load of bollocks, type of thing they'd say to keep people from having piss ups after they've had a jab.

Happy for someone to tell me I'm wrong and point me towards a credible source though.

Guest Harrydc

It's so easy to fall into a trap of a negative mindset when all the media report is negative news. 'Brazil varient' 'south African varient' 'considering new restrictions'. Its every day. What the government need to do is come out and say we are on the home stretch, and give us an estimated date to a FULL return to normality without ANY restrictions. 

1 minute ago, Harrydc said:

It's so easy to fall into a trap of a negative mindset when all the media report is negative news. 'Brazil varient' 'south African varient' 'considering new restrictions'. Its every day. What the government need to do is come out and say we are on the home stretch, and give us an estimated date to a FULL return to normality without ANY restrictions. 

They literally won’t know that mate. they’ll have some idea but of course if they come out with some date and it doesn’t work out completely, the media will be all over it like a rash.

BUT I get the sense for the first time in ages that mind sets are shifting. I know for a fact that tons of people are actually wanting the vaccine and are prepared to put themselves out to get it. The government too seem to be taking less shite and ARE enforcing fines now more frequently.

The govt (yes after another bloody uturn) have now closed borders to S.America

There may be the very slightest light at the end of a very long tunnel and I pray that’s the case.

28 minutes ago, Nalis said:

Sounds like a load of bollocks, type of thing they'd say to keep people from having piss ups after they've had a jab.

Happy for someone to tell me I'm wrong and point me towards a credible source though.

did a little googling of me own & seems it stems from some Russian scientists & if speaking for Russia, as you say its probably to stop them from going on a Vladnik carnival.

That said there is a little bit about how every vaccination has some degree of ineffectiveness if drowned by alcohol but mentions someone drinking 12 UK units total over the course of a few days before/after any jab shouldn't be an issue, its if your caning it i guess.

Edited by BKLFox

4 minutes ago, Finnaldo said:

Didn’t they already say “Normality by Easter”? Seemed pretty ambitious to me... 

Its only 2 and a half months away this year, reckon we'll be lucky to even get Tier 2 type restrictions by Easter. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

7 minutes ago, Nalis said:

Its only 2 and a half months away this year, reckon we'll be lucky to even get Tier 2 type restrictions by Easter. 

I think things will start to improve very quickly once it's in motion. Have you ever played Plague Inc, once the science is winning your days are numbered as a killer virus :(

1 minute ago, filbertway said:

I think things will start to improve very quickly once it's in motion. Have you ever played Plague Inc, once the science is winning your days are numbered as a killer virus :(

Hope you are right.

I shouldnt be too pessimistic to be honest, just hoping for the best but mentally preparing for the worst.

16 minutes ago, Finnaldo said:

Didn’t they already say “Normality by Easter”? Seemed pretty ambitious to me... 

And last year it was 'back to normal by summer'... 'Back to normal by Christmas'

Not allowed to comment on that though. 

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Nalis said:

Hope you are right.

I shouldnt be too pessimistic to be honest, just hoping for the best but mentally preparing for the worst.

I think at this stage only two potential but unlikely scenario's concern me

1) The vaccine doesn't work anywhere near as well as hoped

2) Some kind of mad attack means that some vaccine supplies are lost

If the vaccine works as expected though and we're hitting 3-500k vaccines a day for 2 months I don't see how this summer is much different to any other summer. Then as Autumn hits...hopefully the vaccine is still working. I suppose the only thing we don't know is the longevity of the vaccine. So there's potential for some restrictions in the Autumn/Winter that I'm readying myself for. 

I assume they'll still be studying the vaccinated people though, so we should have a good idea on longevity as time passes.

That's my optimistic viewpoint anyway :D

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Nalis said:

Again, they can’t win really can they? It’s a no win situation with the amount of negativists in this country and the vile media who seem to exist to try to trip everyone up as much as they can.

If the government come out of lockdown too quickly and back into ‘tiers’, and we see even the slightest increase in the r rate, they’ll once more be hung out to dry

But if the decision is to keep us locked down for any longer than people want (no, DEMAND), because it’s considered the safest thing to do, then the usual suspects will criticise that too.

It’s always been a very delicate balancing act and one I wouldn’t wish on my worst enemy.

It’s always been my opinion that the science will win the day. I hope that if we get enough people vaccinated then we’ll see real progress.

But even that’s gonna take time isn’t it.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, StanSP said:

And last year it was 'back to normal by summer'... 'Back to normal by Christmas'

Not allowed to comment on that though. 

Of course you can comment! (Like anyone can or should stop you)

Personally never put much stock by such statements, in my mind, they aren't for my ears. They are statements for people who need something to cling too, to provide hope I feel

(As a hopeless w@nker, its not for me)

• Like 3

5 hours ago, nnfox said:

One of the reasons that the deaths have been effecting the elderly is because younger people, in their 50s and 60s respond well to treatment.  Lots of people in their 60's get hospitalised with it.  The big fear is that if the NHS does fall over under the strain, then the age of those dying will come down dramatically.

I know all of that.

My post was purely arguing against a point made which was comparing the devastation of WW2 with what has actually happened. What has actually happened is a lot of old people have had years taken from them. I'm not arguing that that isn't tragic, only that it's much less tragic than children, men and women of all ages dying in the war in huge numbers across the board.

Not what might or could have happened, what has happened. I'm all for this lockdown.

Having said that I do think some people would find logic in locking down for 10 years to extend the lives of old folk for 10 years. 10 years that they'd be living in lockdown. It won't come to that, but that's the mentality I'm up against here.

Edited by Nod.E
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, Col city fan said:

That’s a very strange way to look at ‘life’ mate and I think I’d I asked virtually all of the fit and healthy 65 plus in our country they’d argue that they’d rather not have their lives cut short (let’s face it, in some cases by MANY years) by dying on a ventilator.

As I said, let’s see if you would feel the same when you’re 65

A life is a life imo.

Forgive me if I’m wrong but your posts almost smack, to me at least, that because some is ‘old’ and hasn’t got much time to go, it’s less of an issue.

Try saying that to my mum, who’s 75 and shielding. 

You're arguing a point I'm not even making.

6 minutes ago, Nod.E said:

You're arguing a point I'm not even making.

I know what point you’re making and I disagree with you

You’ve said it above: ‘it’s much less tragic than people dying in the war’

Why? It’s lives lost when those lives were not at risk. Just because it’s predominantly older people, it’s still lives lost due to an unexpected virus.

You could argue completely the opposite. The lives we lost in WW2 were due to people fighting for a cause. To rid Europe of an Evil Dictator

Lives lost due to covid are for nothing. Zero cause. Just as tragic and possibly more so.

Guest Harrydc

I'm now in the mindset of saying okay, I'm happy to have restrictions until the end of March IF that's then it. No more tiers, no more bubbles, no more anti-social distancing, no more mandatory masks and no more 24/7 news coverage of COVID. As a country we NEED the promise that things will get back to the old normal. And soon. 

3 hours ago, Col city fan said:

What and you aren’t!?

Imagine if the government had set low targets for vaccines? You and all the other negativists would have jumped on their backs about lack of ambition and care. They can’t win

👍

They were always going to set high target to reassure people. What they've done well, after initially putting lots of money into the vaccination programme, is ensure we have the ability and the space to carry it out.

They are winning so far in the vaccination programme, let's hope it stays that way.

• Like 1

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/resources/idt-b6360f40-84f9-469b-b6a3-a4568e161c4f

"This is why scientists are pointing out that until we have enough vaccine to go beyond vaccinating at risk groups against Covid-19 and reach a large proportion of the population, we won't see an end to social distancing.

"If you just protect the vulnerable, you will stop deaths that are happening in the vulnerable and you will reduce the burden of hospital cases, but it won't stop transmission," says Prof Salisbury.

Transmission will continue between people who haven't been vaccinated, who can then spread it to unvaccinated vulnerable people and vulnerable people who have been vaccinated but have not made a protective immune response, he says."

I cannot understand this thinking. If we stop deaths in the vulnerable and we remove the burden on the NHS, then what is the problem? 

I really couldn't give a flying toss if it's still in transmission if people aren't dying and only small numbers need ICUs.

The moment it becomes just another normal level disease is the moment it should leave the headlines and life should return to normal. I won't hold my breath, we've become obsessed.

• Like 4