Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
filbertway

Coronavirus Thread

28 minutes ago, Dunge said:

I would not, of course. But that’s not the decision that may have to be made. The more relevant question I think is how many deaths, along with disruption to the NHS, instances of long Covid, etc. would be worth enforcing just masks on public transport, for instance. Not a full lockdown but some restrictions. And if so, to what degree? That’s ultimately the question I think might need answering, not a black & white “Lockdown or No Lockdown”.

Unless the highly unlikely scenario happens that you can spread the virus after vaccination, then no I wouldn't.

I wish they would stop banging on about the dangers of this virus being passed on by people who have been vaccinated.  Virtually all vaccines make it very difficult to impossible for the vaccinated person to spread the virus.  Instead of bleating about "it hasn't been tested so we don't know", they could say instead "we are not aware of any reason why this should be different from vaccines for other viruses".  It's no use treating people like idiots who can't be trusted and then complaining when they behave like idiots who can't be trusted.

3 hours ago, Otis said:

This...

There are 78,000 smoking related deaths per year that is obviously acceptable. Otherwise smoking would be banned.

By mid Feb if all the over 80s and most at risk are vaccinated then the death rate will fall massively. To 10-15% of what it is now. This is surely acceptable.

With on going vaccinations and warmer months approaching this level with rapidly fall.

You're forgetting all the tax revenue this generates. Different beast entirely. 

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/politics/2021/01/24/britain-faces-three-month-halfway-house-lockdown-easter-over/

'Britain faces a three-month lockdown "halfway house" after Easter, with a full reopening delayed until all over-50s have had their second dose of the vaccine, The Telegraph understands.

Ministers are considering proposals to begin reopening swathes of the economy in April under similar restrictions to those in place over the summer, with “rule of six” and social distancing measures in force in pubs and restaurants.

A return to full normality will be delayed for at least 12 to 14 weeks to allow for all over-50s to have their second dose of the vaccine, according to a source familiar with the discussions.

Officials are understood to be planning the reopening of schools first, followed by an increase in personal freedoms, allowing meetings of friends and family outdoors, before hospitality opens with social distancing measures in place.'

Articles like this give me some hope of a life again:fc:

• Sad 1

7 hours ago, Leicester_Loyal said:

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/politics/2021/01/24/britain-faces-three-month-halfway-house-lockdown-easter-over/

'Britain faces a three-month lockdown "halfway house" after Easter, with a full reopening delayed until all over-50s have had their second dose of the vaccine, The Telegraph understands.

Ministers are considering proposals to begin reopening swathes of the economy in April under similar restrictions to those in place over the summer, with “rule of six” and social distancing measures in force in pubs and restaurants.

A return to full normality will be delayed for at least 12 to 14 weeks to allow for all over-50s to have their second dose of the vaccine, according to a source familiar with the discussions.

Officials are understood to be planning the reopening of schools first, followed by an increase in personal freedoms, allowing meetings of friends and family outdoors, before hospitality opens with social distancing measures in place.'

lol That article really tries its best to present it as a terrible thing. ‘3 month halfway house lockdown’ with rule of six in pubs and majority of the economy open again?? That’s verging on normality itself! Of course there needs to be plans to open the rest up as soon as possible but to call that a lockdown is laughable.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Leicester_Loyal said:

Why were no fines handed out ? They're having a sing song and holding hands in the middle of a public park. Fine the thick bastards. 

10 minutes ago, Finnaldo said:

lol That article really tries its best to present it as a terrible thing. ‘3 month halfway house lockdown’ with rule of six in pubs and majority of the economy open again?? That’s verging on normality itself! Of course there needs to be plans to open the rest up as soon as possible but to call that a lockdown is laughable.

Not for pensioners it isn't.  I think sometimes when we're younger and get out more and see more people in daily life, we forget that for pensioners who are not allowed to see any of their friends and particularly family, it's a long way from normality itself.

"Here is your new baby grandchild - would you like to wave at it from 6 feet away as long as it isn't raining" is not normal.

2 minutes ago, dsr-burnley said:

Not for pensioners it isn't.  I think sometimes when we're younger and get out more and see more people in daily life, we forget that for pensioners who are not allowed to see any of their friends and particularly family, it's a long way from normality itself.

"Here is your new baby grandchild - would you like to wave at it from 6 feet away as long as it isn't raining" is not normal.

If this is April when all pensioners have been vaccinated, they’ll be as free as anyone to join family in the pub, at the park or in the garden, etc. 

8 hours ago, Leicester_Loyal said:

I don't quite understand from this article, what would be closed during this "Halfway House" lockdown?

1 minute ago, dsr-burnley said:

Football grounds.  Clubs.  Libraries.  Old Folks' Centres.  Social Clubs.  Everywhere that people might gather to have fun.

People - please don't ever think that last summer was "near normal".  It wasn't, and it should never be.  Last summer was an awful time of horrible restrictions, especially for the old, and just because this winter is even worse does not make last summer good.

as a rule of thumb - if having a cup of tea in your next door neighbour's kitchen is a criminal offence, then we are not "almost normal".

I wasn't saying that it was going to be normal, just asking the question of what would likely to be closed.

Selfishly, I plan on getting married in June (After moving it from last year), so I'm constantly on the look out for news to imply whether that will be possible.

For what it's worth, I don't think "Normal" will be happening at all in 2021.

23 minutes ago, dsr-burnley said:

That isn't "near normality".  

18 minutes ago, dsr-burnley said:

Football grounds.  Clubs.  Libraries.  Old Folks' Centres.  Social Clubs.  Everywhere that people might gather to have fun.

People - please don't ever think that last summer was "near normal".  It wasn't, and it should never be.  Last summer was an awful time of horrible restrictions, especially for the old, and just because this winter is even worse does not make last summer good.

as a rule of thumb - if having a cup of tea in your next door neighbour's kitchen is a criminal offence, then we are not "almost normal".

Its as near normality we’ve been since last March, and I don’t think anyone cares if two vaccinated pensioners decide to visit each other after April when they’ve both been vaccinated. You’d assume the current timeframe could change if new cases, hospital admissions and deaths really are tanking by then as well. They don’t have any kind of mandate for lockdown after the over 50s anyway as that’s the last group that get hospitalised in any notable number,

Edited by Finnaldo

1 hour ago, Finnaldo said:

While the report is good news and within what most of us would accept in the short term, its nowhere near normality.

Until we can hugs our parents, go to a normal wedding, go to a nightclub, watch a gig or football match and travel freely around the world, then we can say its verging on normality.

• Like 3

51 minutes ago, dsr-burnley said:

According to some posters at the start of the year we arent even in a lockdown right now...

Edited by Nalis

Guest Harrydc
Just now, OrielCaziado said:

I won’t consider life anything resembling normal until I can book a holiday without worrying about quarantine being an issue, walking in a packed pub and standing 3 deep at the bar praying I get served soon, sitting in a packed football stadium, not having people run out into the road in fear that they are about to catch the Black Plague as I’m out running towards them and not forever having to remember to take a mask with me. Obviously those who consider last summer was normal don’t live the life I do and I feel sorry for them. 

People are at the point of thinking tier 1 and 2 are good things. That's where we are now, it's ridiculous. 

20 minutes ago, Harrydc said:

People are at the point of thinking tier 1 and 2 are good things. That's where we are now, it's ridiculous. 

Have you been under a rock for the past year? @Finnaldo has summed it all up pretty well, we can't do anything in this current lockdown. We work, eat, sleep and repeat, with little to no let up. 

So forgive us for seeing an improvement in the situation as a positive. It's a step in the right direction and a step towards a normal life. Personally any positive news right now is worth smiling about. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, LVocey said:

I wasn't saying that it was going to be normal, just asking the question of what would likely to be closed.

Selfishly, I plan on getting married in June (After moving it from last year), so I'm constantly on the look out for news to imply whether that will be possible.

For what it's worth, I don't think "Normal" will be happening at all in 2021.

If we get every adult vaccinated by September, and we're well on course for that at the moment with the program still increasing in capacity, then there is absolutely zero reason to have any restrictions past that point. Extreme border controls for anyone coming in from countries without high levels of vaccination, but there should be no domestic restrictions in the late summer imo.

21 minutes ago, Finnaldo said:

My point is that most of that is to follow. This isn’t like the last two lockdowns where we’re just locking down for a couple months breathing space before we’re in again, there’s an actual exit to normality following much more liberal restrictions, bar an absolutely catastrophic turn of events I can only see us loosening from here. 

As it stands I’ve got absolutely nothing going for me outside of full time employment, which has been home based even since pre-March lockdown. I don’t see colleagues, I don’t see friends, I can’t even get to the gym. I get up, work, eat, go for a walk, go to bed and repeat. It’s an absolutely awful existence but I’d much rather be optimistic about what is a rapidly improving situation than wallow in the present situation, because there fook all I can do about it in the end. Within three months I’ll be able to see family and friends and go to the gym again, and I’ll be at the football by next season I hope, until then I’ve not voted for this government and on the overall performance will continue not to. So there’s previous little I can do but make the most of it.

Whilst we’re on it, I have no extra sympathy for pensioners. They’re the primary reason we’ve locked down and I have no interest in how hard they’ve had it when the younger generations have given a year of their youth to protect them. They’re the first to be vaccinated and will be the first to be able to have any taste of freedom, they should be grateful the youth haven’t treated them reciprocally with the state of the country and world they’ve left them with. 

Fair enough, I probably made too much of a point on picking out that one section of your post.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Sol thewall Bamba said:

If we get every adult vaccinated by September, and we're well on course for that at the moment with the program still increasing in capacity, then there is absolutely zero reason to have any restrictions past that point. Extreme border controls for anyone coming in from countries without high levels of vaccination, but there should be no domestic restrictions in the late summer imo.

I’d agree with that though. 

Just now, Nalis said:

Fair enough, I probably made too much of a point on picking out that one section of your post.

No that’s fair enough mate, as Sol said I wouldn’t be happy with restrictions after summer given the vaccination rollout continues well but until then, well it’s needs must. The quicker we’re at least on the path to normality the better and the groundwork is being built as we speak. 

• Like 1

Hopefully once as Boris wants most of the vulnerable and over 50s are vaccinated the risk of people dying and having to be admitted to hospital will greatly reduce .

They should all have both doses by then if the vaccine is rolled out well.

That should be the target.

If we aren’t then questions will be asked about the vaccine process.

There might still be some restrictions in place because people can till catch it and pass the virus on to those who haven’t been vaccinated so some caution will still be in place.

Edited by Super_horns
  • Like 1