Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
filbertway

Coronavirus Thread

6 minutes ago, Super_horns said:

There might still be some restrictions in place because people can till catch it and pass the virus on to those who haven’t been vaccinated so some caution will still be in place.

They haven't said that.  What they have said is that they don't know whether people can pass it on after they have been vaccinated.  What they haven't said (but it's true) is that with most if not all vaccines, it is a lot harder to pass it on if it's possible at all.

• Like 1

Guest Harrydc

If they don't know if these vaccines transmit the virus then how have they been vigorously tested? 

The way Matt Hancock was 'crying' on GMB you'd have thought these vaccines were the beginning of the end

:whistle:

8 minutes ago, Harrydc said:

If they don't know if these vaccines transmit the virus then how have they been vigorously tested? 

The way Matt Hancock was 'crying' on GMB you'd have thought these vaccines were the beginning of the end

:whistle:

Fml

I'd attempt to explain this to you, but you're genuinely being purposefully ignorant. 

Edited by UniFox21
  • Like 1

15 minutes ago, UniFox21 said:

Fml

I'd attempt to explain this to you, but you're genuinely being purposefully ignorant. 

I would say that anti-intellectualism is a sign of the times we're in, but it's not really - social media has just acted like an amplifier for it.

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, Sol thewall Bamba said:

If we get every adult vaccinated by September, and we're well on course for that at the moment with the program still increasing in capacity, then there is absolutely zero reason to have any restrictions past that point. Extreme border controls for anyone coming in from countries without high levels of vaccination, but there should be no domestic restrictions in the late summer imo.

Honestly I think we'll still have some restrictions incase of a 'new variant'.

A Tory minister on GMB said this morning we're suffering more than others because of an ageing population and our obesity levels, if that's the case (and I believe it is) they should surely be encouraging people to get active this year.

Agree with much of this page...

...however I'm finding it really hard to be as optimistic after being battered by negativity for almost a whole year.

I'm half expecting a new variant to arrive from God knows where which renders the current vaccine as good as useless, and so we'll be in severe lockdowns for most of 2021.

I can't allow myself any optimism of normality because ,honestly, I don't think I could cope with it being crushed. 

Keep thinking the worst, that way anything better is a bonus. Sort of like how I think about City's games in a less serious kind of way.

5 minutes ago, DennisNedry said:

...however I'm finding it really hard to be as optimistic after being battered by negativity for almost a whole year.

I'm half expecting a new variant to arrive from God knows where which renders the current vaccine as good as useless, and so we'll be in severe lockdowns for most of 2021.

I can't allow myself any optimism of normality because ,honestly, I don't think I could cope with it being crushed. 

Keep thinking the worst, that way anything better is a bonus. Sort of like how I think about City's games in a less serious kind of way.

I've noticed a lot of people who weren't particularly negative are being what I consider "overly" negative about everything, I think like you though, it's probably just a coping mechanism after such a draining year.

I'm still retaining a sense of optimism, I think I had my low point in October/November last year where I was just getting wound up and feeling like there was no end in sight. Since the good news about Vaccines in late Nov, I've been looking forward to April/May coming around. If something goes wrong this summer I think I may become irreparably broken lol

18 minutes ago, DennisNedry said:

That's a miserable way to live. What have you got if you don't have hope? 

Negative thinking breeds negative outcomes.

In the case of COVID it's obviously out of your control, but I'm just advising that expecting the worst to manage your expectations is no way to go about life.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, The People's Hero said:

Yeah but you can then let the big chains hoover it all up and then give them loads of tax breaks going forward.

I'd imagine even the big chains are in big trouble and it's only January.

Greene King for starters are in a mess and jobs are going every day. There might be the odd Wetherspoons but that's about it if you leave it another 6 months.

Not to mention restaurants...

3 minutes ago, Mapperleyfox said:

I'd imagine even the big chains are in big trouble and it's only January.

Greene King for starters are in a mess and jobs are going every day. There might be the odd Wetherspoons but that's about it if you leave it another 6 months.

Not to mention restaurants...

I'm willing to bet you that Wetherspoons does absolutely fine out of this.

2 minutes ago, The People's Hero said:

I'm willing to bet you that Wetherspoons does absolutely fine out of this.

Better than others maybe because of cash reserves or by chucking another £50k at his Tory mates, and they might survive but they're hardly thriving are they?

I don't drink in Wetherspoons so i'm more concerned about independent boozers who, quite frankly, will be screwed by Easter.

Just now, Mapperleyfox said:

Better than others maybe because of cash reserves or by chucking another £50k at his Tory mates, and they might survive but they're hardly thriving are they?

I don't drink in Wetherspoons so i'm more concerned about independent boozers who, quite frankly, will be screwed by Easter.

Yeah, me too. And yes, you're right.

I think we agree but I'm bearing my cynicism.

1 minute ago, The People's Hero said:

Yeah, me too. And yes, you're right.

I think we agree but I'm bearing my cynicism.

Without a doubt, we're in agreement, it's just a bleak picture in terms of what's left come Easter or Summer.

And then there's the tens of thousands of unemployed to consider.

My village pub have told me they're living off fumes, and can't survive beyond March/April at best.

11 hours ago, Leicester_Loyal said:

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/politics/2021/01/24/britain-faces-three-month-halfway-house-lockdown-easter-over/

'Britain faces a three-month lockdown "halfway house" after Easter, with a full reopening delayed until all over-50s have had their second dose of the vaccine, The Telegraph understands.

Ministers are considering proposals to begin reopening swathes of the economy in April under similar restrictions to those in place over the summer, with “rule of six” and social distancing measures in force in pubs and restaurants.

A return to full normality will be delayed for at least 12 to 14 weeks to allow for all over-50s to have their second dose of the vaccine, according to a source familiar with the discussions.

Officials are understood to be planning the reopening of schools first, followed by an increase in personal freedoms, allowing meetings of friends and family outdoors, before hospitality opens with social distancing measures in place.'

Articles like this give me some hope of a life again:fc:

I don't think there is much doubt this is the unofficial Governmet strategy right now. It is likely that all the over 50s who have the vaccine will have received their second doses sometime in August which ties in with the statement that all the rest will be offered the vaccine by the end of September.

If you are planning on doing anything travel wise before June I'd say you are possibly going to be dissappointed. Any of this will be highly dependant on the following.

1 No mutation comes along which means the vaccines will no longer work.

2 Enough people take up the vaccine

3 Vaccine supply being maintained

4 That the vaccines do actually work as they look like they should

5 That the first vaccine prevents hospitalisations enough to stop the NHS being overrun. If the 12 week gap proves a failure then this will delay lifting of restrictions.

6 The effects of the vaccine last longer than 6 months

I reckon by the end of October we should have a new normality but face masks will still be required, social distancing too and international travel may well still be highly restricted.

3 hours ago, Nalis said:

According to some posters at the start of the year we arent even in a lockdown right now...

Because we aren't.  I've been going to work every day since the end of the first one (the eat out to help out month, August I think?).  People have been frequenting my workplace for non-essential business ever since.  We are under heavy social restrictions and there are thousands of people who feel like they're trapped in a living hell, but calling what we're in now a lockdown is beyond a farcical use of language.

• Like 2

Only just heard that there were major anti-lockdown riots in the Netherlands over the weekend. 

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-health-coronavirus-netherlands-protes/dutch-pm-condemns-lockdown-riots-as-criminal-volence-idUSKBN29U0W3

"The police said hundreds of people had been detained after incidents that began on Saturday evening and lasted until the early hours of Monday, including some in which rioters threw rocks and in one case knives at police and burned down a COVID-19 testing station. [...] The police trade union NPB said there could be more protests ahead, as people grow increasingly frustrated with the country’s months-long lockdown. “We haven’t seen so much violence in 40 years,” union board member Koen Simmers said on television program Nieuwsuur". :blink:

https://news.sky.com/story/covid-19-pm-confirms-data-on-easing-restrictions-will-be-assessed-before-mid-february-12198323

"Data on when coronavirus lockdown restrictions can start to be eased will be assessed before mid-February, the prime minister has said.

Boris Johnson said the government will be "looking at the potential of relaxing some measures" before the middle of next month".

I really hope that any such easing as early as mid-Feb is science/data-led and done cautiously. I hope this isn't Johnson being over-optimistic and/or seeking to do what "the people" or the Tory libertarians want.

Mind you, given the pressure within his own ranks, I wouldn't blame him for dangling a carrot by alluding to a mid-Feb easing, then either making only minor adjustments in mid-Feb or saying that sadly it's not possible, if the numbers don't improve as we all hope. Certainly, some figures are going in the right direction (infection rates, vaccinations), but numbers in hospital are still at record levels and not falling yet and 30-40k new infections per day is still bloody high, even if it's much better than 60-70k or whatever it was.

Hopefully, if all numbers go in the right direction, then some easing might be possible in mid-Feb, but only limited I'm guessing.......start with the outdoor gym on Victoria Park, Bozza! :thumbup:

How are you all doing? Are you coping ok with these bloody covid restrictions? I'm really struggling this week. After initially being super p*ssed off about going back into lockdown again, I've been ok. I'm safe at home, with a job I can do from home, but for some reason this last week I've been really struggling with my mental health. We had a flood evacuation warning last week, where I spent the day preparing sandbags and plans in case the river flooded - it didn't, it never has, so lots of stress for no reason - but I've not been able to regain my focus since then. 

Have you got any tips for getting your head back in the game? 

I didn't want to post this on twitter or facebook and get the "you ok hun?" replies - sensible replies only please :)

Thank goodness football is going well at the moment :thumbup:

5 minutes ago, AmyLGK said:

How are you all doing? Are you coping ok with these bloody covid restrictions? I'm really struggling this week. After initially being super p*ssed off about going back into lockdown again, I've been ok. I'm safe at home, with a job I can do from home, but for some reason this last week I've been really struggling with my mental health. We had a flood evacuation warning last week, where I spent the day preparing sandbags and plans in case the river flooded - it didn't, it never has, so lots of stress for no reason - but I've not been able to regain my focus since then. 

I didn't want to post this on twitter or facebook and get the "you ok hun?" replies - sensible replies only please :)

Hi, so my tip for getting your head back in the game, is slightly counter-intuitive, but it's effectively to just accept you are struggling a bit. Don't fight it, just accept it, and like the clouds, it will pass. Getting outside for a bit can be helpful too - don't really know why, but some how the fresh air seems to have an energising effect. Hopefully you will take some comfort that most of us are struggling at different times. And yes, the big test for me will be when we lose next - City are making me smile plenty at the moment

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

https://www.timesofisrael.com/israel-sees-60-drop-in-hospitalizations-for-over-60s-in-weeks-after-vaccination/

Israel sees 60% drop in hospitalizations for age 60-plus 3 weeks after 1st shot.
Full effects of Pfizer’s shots only kick in around a month after inoculation, but data from Israel shows there is a stark drop in infections even before that point.

Vaccines are quickly averting serious cases of COVID-19 among the most vulnerable members of society, an Israeli healthcare provider has indicated.

The full effects of Pfizer’s vaccine are only slated to kick in around a month after the first shot, but data from Israel, home to the world’s fastest vaccination drive, has already shown that there is a stark drop in infections even before this point.

Attracting widespread international interest by sharing early data, Maccabi Healthcare Services reported earlier this month that it has seen a 60 percent reduction in coronavirus infections three weeks after the first shot is administered.

But it wasn’t clear if the benefits were being felt equally by those who have a propensity to mild infection and those who would be likely to take COVID-19 badly.

Now, Maccabi is starting to answer the question that hospitals and health ministers around the world are anxiously asking, amid fears of health service meltdowns: How quickly will COVID-19 wards start to see the benefits of vaccination?

The decrease in hospital admissions is swift after vaccination, Maccabi suggests in its latest data, finding that hospitalizations start to fall sharply from Day 18 after people receive the first shot. Galia Rahav, head of infectious diseases at Israel’s largest hospital, Sheba Medical Center, described the data as “very important.”

By Day 23, which is 2 days after the second shot, there is a 60% drop in hospitalizations among vaccinated people aged 60-plus, Maccabi revealed after monitoring 50,777 patients. It compared their hospitalization rate at that point with their hospitalization rate soon after receiving the vaccine, using 7-day moving averages.

“This is very important data,” Rahav, who is unconnected to the study, told The Times of Israel. “It has an impact because amid high infection rates and the spread of variants it’s hard to see from general figures how vaccination is influencing things.

“By giving an insight into hospitalizations among just those elderly people who were vaccinated, this data is valuable.”

However, she cautioned that some of the drop may be due to a tendency of newly vaccinated people to adhere to lockdown rules, which causes a drop in infection and hospitalization.

The new data also supports Maccabi’s earlier claim of a 60% infection rate drop after three weeks, reporting that it saw the same drop with a new sample comprising only the 60-plus age group.

Maccabi’s graph gives a real picture of infection in Israel, showing that until Day 13, vaccinated over-60s had similar infection rates as the overall 60-plus population. Then, a gap opens, and by Day 23, there were 18 daily infections among the 50,777 overall, but just six among the vaccinated.

Edited by egg_fried_rice
  • Like 4

19 minutes ago, AmyLGK said:

Just to say, I'm feeling the same and have done pretty much since xmas. Been overeating and drinking too often to cope which isn't helping matters. Muddling through at the moment, but, as above, trying to accept it and talk about it (I'm lucky enough to be taking a counselling training course at the moment so have plenty of people to practice on!) is helping me through, plus I'm focusing on the good news too. I'm trying not to expect too much of myself and am practicing self compassion where I can.

45 minutes ago, Carl the Llama said:

Because we aren't.  I've been going to work every day since the end of the first one (the eat out to help out month, August I think?).  People have been frequenting my workplace for non-essential business ever since.  We are under heavy social restrictions and there are thousands of people who feel like they're trapped in a living hell, but calling what we're in now a lockdown is beyond a farcical use of language.

Non wumming q - what would you define as lockdown then? Being quarantined with zero access to the outside world?

18 minutes ago, harpendenfox said:

Hi, so my tip for getting your head back in the game, is slightly counter-intuitive, but it's effectively to just accept you are struggling a bit. Don't fight it, just accept it, and like the clouds, it will pass. Getting outside for a bit can be helpful too - don't really know why, but some how the fresh air seems to have an energising effect. Hopefully you will take some comfort that most of us are struggling at different times. And yes, the big test for me will be when we lose next - City are making me smile plenty at the moment

This, completely.