Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
filbertway

Coronavirus Thread

10 minutes ago, dsr-burnley said:

Eating rubbish doesn't cause excess deaths, really.  The rate remains at one per person.  People who eat healthily and take exercise still die, they just die of something else - and whatever it is we die of, it's usually something that needs expensive treatment first.  The idea that we can all live healthy lifestyles with no cost to the NHS until we die in bed aged 102 - not realistic.

Having an awful diet and lifestyle clearly causes strain on the NHS even if you only consider it from a financial perspective. 

I remember going to a museum, I think it was in Edinburgh, a few years ago and there was a table of pills consumed by one person in their lifetime and it was comfortably the length of two or maybe even three snooker tables. The table highlighted the different points in the person's life, such as when they contracted illness and disease etc. I couldn't quite believe the extent of it. The cost of said tablets must have been astronomical.

The cost of medicine increased from £13 billion to £17.4 billion from 2010 to 2016 and I would assume that has increased again in the next half decade. Eating healthy and having a healthier lifestyle is not a guarantee against illness, but it limits the likelihood of requiring medical assistance, both physically and financially, and also gives you a far greater quality of life too. 

22 minutes ago, dsr-burnley said:

Eating rubbish doesn't cause excess deaths, really.  The rate remains at one per person.  People who eat healthily and take exercise still die, they just die of something else - and whatever it is we die of, it's usually something that needs expensive treatment first.  The idea that we can all live healthy lifestyles with no cost to the NHS until we die in bed aged 102 - not realistic.

Obese people are 50% over represented on ventilators because of Covid though, so that's a direct cost to everyone else due to, largely, lifestyle choices. 

• Like 2

Lack of trust from the BAME community in the vaccine? - a worryingly high number say they will refuse the vaccine (for now)

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2021/jan/16/covid-vaccine-black-people-unlikely-covid-jab-uk

One of the very high risk groups too.

On a more positive note it defiantly doe seem like the vaccine roll out is going well so hopefully that will continue without any hold ups.

Think they said almost 80% of over 80s had been vaccinated. 

26 minutes ago, dsr-burnley said:

I usually agree with most of what you say, but not this.

If more people eat bad food, more people become unhealthy and have more health complications before they eventually die, weight related or not. That's added stress on the NHS that otherwise wouldn't exist if people suffered less health complications before death.

And obesity certainly reduces life expectancy, which is kind of the flavour of the month amid Covid restrictions.

• Like 2

47 minutes ago, Buce said:

This govt minister says the UK is suffering so many deaths becuse of an ageing and obese population:

therese-coffey-head-of-dwp.jpg

The words 'pot' and 'kettle' spring to mind.

You can recognise that the ICU's are full of hambeasts and this country really needs to sort itself out health-wise whilst still being fat yourself.

• Like 2

39 minutes ago, dsr-burnley said:

This is an unbelievably bad take.  Of course a nation of unhealthy food and habits is going to experience a higher rate of death at younger ages than a nation of people who eat well and exercise.

Everybody dies, by your logic no death is an excess death because it's one in one out, that's not what the term means though 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Nod.E said:

I usually agree with most of what you say, but not this.

If more people eat bad food, more people become unhealthy and have more health complications before they eventually die, weight related or not. That's added stress on the NHS that otherwise wouldn't exist if people suffered less health complications before death.

And obesity certainly reduces life expectancy, which is kind of the flavour of the month amid Covid restrictions.

I have no objection to government plans to help people be less fat.  Being less fat would be a good thing - it would be a good thing for me personally and for people in general.  But it wouldn't save the country money and it wouldn't keep the coronavirus beds empty.

Who occupies most of the coronavirus beds?  The old.  Why are they old?  Because they ate healthily and didn't die young.  Economic arguments like that are clearly absurd and if taken in isolation are unkind and unfeeling, but the bare fact remains - fat people, en masse so to speak, don't cost the country money and don't cause disproportionate coronavirus stress to the NHS.  If all the fat people who have died young had lived another twenty years, then many more of them would be in coronavirus beds now.

5 minutes ago, dsr-burnley said:

I have no objection to government plans to help people be less fat.  Being less fat would be a good thing - it would be a good thing for me personally and for people in general.  But it wouldn't save the country money and it wouldn't keep the coronavirus beds empty.

Who occupies most of the coronavirus beds?  The old.  Why are they old?  Because they ate healthily and didn't die young.  Economic arguments like that are clearly absurd and if taken in isolation are unkind and unfeeling, but the bare fact remains - fat people, en masse so to speak, don't cost the country money and don't cause disproportionate coronavirus stress to the NHS.  If all the fat people who have died young had lived another twenty years, then many more of them would be in coronavirus beds now.

You ignored my point about obese people being 50% more likely to be on a ventilator, regardless of age...

2 minutes ago, Buce said:

Bull.

Obesity is a leading cause of degenerative diseases, such as cancer, heart disease and diabetes; treating these diseases puts a huge strain on the NHS.

It's off topic and needs a different thread.  But just to say that the generalisation that fat people get ill and die while thin people do not get ill and die, is false. 

Plenty of thin people live healthy and independent lives for thirty years on trheir state pension before suffering from dementia and spending ten years in an expensive nursing homes.  Plenty of fat people driop dead without seeing a doctor.  As the old people in coronavirus wards have sadly proved, being thin is no guarantee of not getting coronavirus.

7 minutes ago, dsr-burnley said:

Not all fat people die young, though. You can survive and be unhealthy at the same time.

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, dsr-burnley said:

Wtf man. Fatties cause tonnes of problems that cost extra cash. This is coming from a fatty. I don't need people making excuses or changing blatant facts to protect my feelings, or my lifestyle choices. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, dsr-burnley said:

It's off topic and needs a different thread.  But just to say that the generalisation that fat people get ill and die while thin people do not get ill and die, is false. 

Plenty of thin people live healthy and independent lives for thirty years on trheir state pension before suffering from dementia and spending ten years in an expensive nursing homes.  Plenty of fat people driop dead without seeing a doctor.  As the old people in coronavirus wards have sadly proved, being thin is no guarantee of not getting coronavirus.

You're moving into exceptionalism now. You're better than that.

51 minutes ago, dsr-burnley said:

What have I just read. Anyone saying obesity isn’t a factor here is wrong.

• Like 3

Guest Harrydc

Why don't the government use their scare mongering propaganda skills to put people off McDonald's, KFC, Burger King, processed foods and the list goes on and on. 

£££

2 hours ago, Crinklyfox said:

I haven't been offered the vaccine yet.  My eldest works in a care home so he's Group 1 for the vaccine and he got his nine days ago, no side effects.  Clinically extremely vulnerable people are in Group 4 so I'm expecting to get a call sometime early next month.  Looks like your area is ahead of some others.

Yeah I think we're lucky down here that the rollout is progressing quite quickly. I'm Group 4 too and feel fortunate to get my first jab yesterday.

I feel fvckin horrendous today though. Woke at 2am shivering and couldn't breathe with a tight chest. Up all night with the worst headache and fever ever. Feel totally zapped and no appetite/energy. Hopefully these side effects wear off soon :unsure:

• Sad 2
  • Haha 1

9 minutes ago, Harrydc said:

Why don't the government use their scare mongering propaganda skills to put people off McDonald's, KFC, Burger King, processed foods and the list goes on and on. 

£££

Why don't the government use their scare mongering propaganda skills to put people off Tofu, cos that is proper shit.

• Haha 2

16 minutes ago, Izzy said:

Yeah I think we're lucky down here that the rollout is progressing quite quickly. I'm Group 4 too and feel fortunate to get my first jab yesterday.

I feel fvckin horrendous today though. Woke at 2am shivering and couldn't breathe with a tight chest. Up all night with the worst headache and fever ever. Feel totally zapped and no appetite/energy. Hopefully these side effects wear off soon :unsure:

My missus had it yesterday (NHS) and she's feeling extremely peaky today. I have the flu vaccine every year and I've never had any side effects from that, although loads of people claim they do

• Like 1