Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
filbertway

Coronavirus Thread

32 minutes ago, martyn said:

We should know soon enough from our own data if that German report has any credence. I'd be surprised if it's deliberate misinformation as a backlash to the supply issues

I've seen it mentioned that 8% of the participants in the trial were over 65% and it could just be a ridiculous misunderstanding. But that would be crazy to stake a journalistic reputation on that without triple checking you'd got it right.

It’d be even crazier to stake your medical reputation on passing it through regardless, as this report implies the UK has done.

I’m not buying this, and it sounds like the start of an almighty row.

12 minutes ago, z-layrex said:

You're not even remotely average Geoff!

10 minutes ago, UpTheLeagueFox said:

I hope that I can improve and raise myself to the level of average one day.

It is but a mere pipe dream right now....

sciencejournalism.jpg

Journalism on science matters does sometimes leave a bit to be desired tbh.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, SystonFox said:

Personally think it’s a great measure and needs enforcing more. No offence to you 

None taken.

I'm just genuinely surprised it's a rule because I hadn't seen or heard anything about it. Goes to show that rule breaking isn't always conscious.

8 hours ago, Dunge said:

It’d be even crazier to stake your medical reputation on passing it through regardless, as this report implies the UK has done.

I’m not buying this, and it sounds like the start of an almighty row.

The U.K. approval is here

https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/regulatory-approval-of-covid-19-vaccine-astrazeneca/information-for-healthcare-professionals-on-covid-19-vaccine-astrazeneca

as mentioned above the number of participants over 65 was low (660) and at the end of December only 2 of them had caught covid which wasn’t sufficient to conclude anything about the effectiveness in that population. However  testing for antibodies showed that those elderly participants had successfully developed antibodies which is a strong positive sign.

Unless a lot more data has arrived it’s hard to see how anyone is now quoting a figure for effectiveness in the elderly?

scientific responses to this German report are here.

https://www.sciencemediacentre.org/expert-reaction-to-reports-from-germany-that-the-oxford-astrazeneca-covid-19-vaccine-has-8-efficacy-in-over-65s/

Didn't take long for the vaccines to become a political football.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-55805903

The EU has warned it will tighten exports of Covid vaccines produced in the bloc, amid a row with AstraZeneca over a cut in planned supplies.

Last week, AstraZeneca told the EU it was falling behind on its supply target because of production problems.

Pfizer-BioNTech has also said supplies of its vaccine will be lower, slowing down the EU's vaccination drive.

Vaccine supply has become a critical issue as nations seek to stem high infection rates.

The AstraZeneca row could affect supplies to the UK of the Pfizer-BioNTech vaccine, which has been developed by the US and Germany. Pfizer's Belgian plant supplies the UK.

Responding to the EU's comments, the UK's Minister for Covid Vaccine Deployment Nadhim Zahawi said on Tuesday that supplies were "tight" but added: "I'm confident that [AstraZeneca and Pfizer-BioNTech] will both deliver for us the quantities that we need to meet our mid-February target and of course beyond."

EU Health Commissioner Stella Kyriakides had earlier said the 27-member EU bloc would "take any action required to protect its citizens".

Companies making Covid vaccines in the EU would have to "provide early notification whenever they want to export vaccines to third countries", she said. The UK has now left the EU.

7 minutes ago, egg_fried_rice said:

Didn't take long for the vaccines to become a political football.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-55805903

The EU has warned it will tighten exports of Covid vaccines produced in the bloc, amid a row with AstraZeneca over a cut in planned supplies.

Last week, AstraZeneca told the EU it was falling behind on its supply target because of production problems.

Pfizer-BioNTech has also said supplies of its vaccine will be lower, slowing down the EU's vaccination drive.

Vaccine supply has become a critical issue as nations seek to stem high infection rates.

The AstraZeneca row could affect supplies to the UK of the Pfizer-BioNTech vaccine, which has been developed by the US and Germany. Pfizer's Belgian plant supplies the UK.

Responding to the EU's comments, the UK's Minister for Covid Vaccine Deployment Nadhim Zahawi said on Tuesday that supplies were "tight" but added: "I'm confident that [AstraZeneca and Pfizer-BioNTech] will both deliver for us the quantities that we need to meet our mid-February target and of course beyond."

EU Health Commissioner Stella Kyriakides had earlier said the 27-member EU bloc would "take any action required to protect its citizens".

Companies making Covid vaccines in the EU would have to "provide early notification whenever they want to export vaccines to third countries", she said. The UK has now left the EU.

Wouldn't it be in everyone's interests just to set up vaccine production plants all over the world 

I have to say that I’m at such a low ebb, I tell myself to stop looking at this thread and especially to stop looking at the corona virus news and yet I always look, hoping for some good news, and some light at the end of the tunnel.

Whether it’s my state of mind at the moment but I can see no light at the end of the tunnel, we’re so far away from any resemblance of normality, instead we’re entangled in restrictions and rules  with the continual worry of the restrictions being tightened further.

I read about quarantine hotels, travel bans, the vaccine not being effective, mass unemployment and the knock on effect that has on people’s lives.

Continually hearing/reading that you can’t go there, you can’t do that, you can’t see them is mentally exhausting.

I wish I could see an end to the current state of affairs but I can’t. 

• Sad 1

17 hours ago, Izzy said:

Thanks mate. I know you've been shielding too, so I assume you've also had your first jab by now?

If so, did you suffer any side effects?

I haven't been offered the vaccine yet.  My eldest works in a care home so he's Group 1 for the vaccine and he got his nine days ago, no side effects.  Clinically extremely vulnerable people are in Group 4 so I'm expecting to get a call sometime early next month.  Looks like your area is ahead of some others.

51 minutes ago, Mark 'expert' Lawrenson said:

I have to say that I’m at such a low ebb, I tell myself to stop looking at this thread and especially to stop looking at the corona virus news and yet I always look, hoping for some good news, and some light at the end of the tunnel.

Whether it’s my state of mind at the moment but I can see no light at the end of the tunnel, we’re so far away from any resemblance of normality, instead we’re entangled in restrictions and rules  with the continual worry of the restrictions being tightened further.

I read about quarantine hotels, travel bans, the vaccine not being effective, mass unemployment and the knock on effect that has on people’s lives.

Continually hearing/reading that you can’t go there, you can’t do that, you can’t see them is mentally exhausting.

I'm sure most people are at a low ebb at least some of the time. I know that I am.

It's easy to focus on the severe short-term negatives of lockdown and the potential long-term risks of other things going wrong, like unemployment and problems with the vaccine.

But there is light at the end of the tunnel - in the shape of the vaccine. Unless there are major problems with that, things will look a lot better within a couple of months. We should be able to do more, travel more, see more people, have more fun etc.

I'm pretty much writing off February and March, but focusing on the current probability that a semi-normality will return after that - and there might even be some improvement by March.

I don't think that I'm looking through rose-tinted specs. I know that Covid won't be completely gone for a long time, if ever, so there will be a persistent low risk or occasional flare-up.

Some things will take longer to open up fully (pubs, football?). The economy will be a mess for some time and that will affect some people badly.

I'd hope that life April/May will be a lot better than Jan/Feb - and summer better still. I'm trying to view it as like serving 2-3 months house arrest, with an approximate release date to look forward to....

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Lionator said:

Good news, whoever got that wrong and printed the story deserves to be sued.

Jesus fvcking Christ. I will never not be underwhelmed by the intelligence of folk.

On the flip side I am genuinely in awe of those that have worked to bring the vaccine to production and roll out so quickly.

I simultaneously can't get my head around the stupidity of like 50% of the population and the genius of 5%.

5 minutes ago, Alf Bentley said:

I'm sure most people are at a low ebb at least some of the time. I know that I am.

It's easy to focus on the severe short-term negatives of lockdown and the potential long-term risks of other things going wrong, like unemployment and problems with the vaccine.

But there is light at the end of the tunnel - in the shape of the vaccine. Unless there are major problems with that, things will look a lot better within a couple of months. We should be able to do more, travel more, see more people, have more fun etc.

I'm pretty much writing off February and March, but focusing on the current probability that a semi-normality will return after that - and there might even be some improvement by March.

I don't think that I'm looking through rose-tinted specs. I know that Covid won't be completely gone for a long time, if ever, so there will be a persistent low risk or occasional flare-up.

Some things will take longer to open up fully (pubs, football?). The economy will be a mess for some time and that will affect some people badly.

I'd hope that life April/May will be a lot better than Jan/Feb - and summer better still. I'm trying to view it as like serving 2-3 months house arrest, with an approximate release date to look forward to....

Exactly the way I'm looking at it, too.

And we've pretty much kicked January into touch already! Don't know about anyone else but I'm pleasantly surprised at how quickly it went. 

4 minutes ago, Buce said:

This govt minister says the UK is suffering so many deaths becuse of an ageing and obese population:

therese-coffey-head-of-dwp.jpg

The words 'pot' and 'kettle' spring to mind.

Jesus lol

It's a good point though. We'll lock down an entire country to reduce deaths and strain on the NHS, all while McDonald's hovers around the top 10 for ad spend in the UK year after year.

As a population we are actively encouraged to eat rubbish, which causes excess deaths and puts strain on the NHS. It won't get the same attention as any small increase in Covid cases over the next 12-24 months, though.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Mark 'expert' Lawrenson said:

To add to the posts above.

we remain on track to vaccinate everyone in the priority groups by mid feb.

we vaccinated almost 1/2 million people last Saturday.

Most people offered the jab are turning up to get it.

hopefully in a couple of weeks the data will show a drop in hospitalisations in the elderly ( that’s future good news to look out for)

the German report that the vaccine doesn’t work seems to have been a mistake

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Nod.E said:

Jesus lol

It's a good point though. We'll lock down an entire country to reduce deaths and strain on the NHS, all while McDonald's hovers around the top 10 for ad spend in the UK year after year.

As a population we are actively encouraged to eat rubbish, which causes excess deaths and puts strain on the NHS. It won't get the same attention as any small increase in Covid cases over the next 12-24 months, though.

Sure.

Right message, wrong messenger.

1 minute ago, Nod.E said:

Jesus lol

Eating rubbish doesn't cause excess deaths, really.  The rate remains at one per person.  People who eat healthily and take exercise still die, they just die of something else - and whatever it is we die of, it's usually something that needs expensive treatment first.  The idea that we can all live healthy lifestyles with no cost to the NHS until we die in bed aged 102 - not realistic.

• Thanks 1