Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
filbertway

Coronavirus Thread

1 hour ago, yorkie1999 said:

Wouldn’t it be wise for someone to just tell them.

It would be yeah, but "unfortunate logistical oversight leads to a fraction of people who wasn't given NHS numbers at birth and who hasn't bothered to register with a GP being unable to register to receive their vaccine" wouldn't make for a good tweet. 

1 hour ago, Ian Nacho said:

It may be just the select few people I know, but I know a few healthcare professionals and the majority of them don’t follow the rules. Strange. 

I know a female who works at the NHS, she's some form of nurse or something, not sure, on a ward in a hospital. For weeks during the lockdown she was calling people selfish, posting 'we can't stay at home, we're key workers', 'we don't stay at home but you can', and regularly lapping up all the attention. Not long after she's posting stories at parties drinking with about 20 people, organising kids parties for her little ones and even went on an illegal hen dolol

If you wanna break the rules then fine, whatever, just don't ****ing bang on about others that aren't doing it like you're some form of hero then become a hypocrite yourself.

Rant over:D

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, brucey said:

It would be yeah, but "unfortunate logistical oversight leads to a fraction of people who wasn't given NHS numbers at birth and who hasn't bothered to register with a GP being unable to register to receive their vaccine" wouldn't make for a good tweet. 

I meant tell the hospitals. I thought the problem was that some thought the ni number has to be filled out to receive the vaccine.

Someone in the family needed an ambulance last night (not covid, but was told by 111 they should go to A&E, and an ambulance would be sent out). After finishing the call with 111, they were immediately called by the ambulance service to say there's a 4 hour wait for an ambulance, and could a family member drive them in. Failing that, they were going to book a taxi on our behalf.

Isn’t it a year this weekend that the first solid reports of a new virus were coming out of Wuhan?Just watched a bit about China.3 positive cases showed up in one area.2 million instantly ordered to go and get tested.The reporter was saying it’s impossible to get in anywhere without a Covid clear result shown on you’re smartphone.Man gets caught in another province during lockdown.Gets pelters and tied to a tree.

6 hours ago, Harrydc said:

The media are the absolute worst for fear mongering. 

Because online conspiracy theory, 'alt-news' and social media would never prey upon ignorance fear and prejudice and has your best interests at heart.

Ok. 

2 hours ago, Leicester_Loyal said:

This didn’t go down too well on Twitter :unsure:

The dept deserve the negative comments as it insinuates no one is playing by the rules when in reality most of us are.

Edited by Nalis
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, BKLFox said:

This trend isn’t isolated to the UK, I’ll use Germany as an example.
On 30th Dec they recorded their highest daily death toll this being 1112 people, compared to an average 500 during their peak, this new figure took their total to around 32k deaths, BUT this morning it quietly went unnoticed that they have just passed 50k deaths, that’s 18k or more than double the previous yearly death toll condensed into the 23 days of January and that’s with the UKs break-through of identifying COVID fighting drugs and a world wide better understanding of CV19 itself.
To further put context on that figure between March and May their total death rates was 1 of the lowest of all European countries at 7,869.

Now I’m no rocket scientist but I don’t need someone from the government to stand up in front of me and show me a slide to work out that this probably is a more lethal mutation of CV19 and if anyone doesn’t take heed they are not part of the solution, they’re part of the problem.

How owuld it be if a government scientist stood up in front of you and showed you a slide that suggested that Germany had done so well at suppressing the first wave, that many of their most vulnerable people survived; which means that a large cohort of very vulnerable people are now dying in Germany whose equivalent cohort in the UK died last Spring?  Just a suggestion, but a logical one.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Harrydc said:

Is there any wonder why? 

Presumably because people can’t look them in the eyes.

I’ve been feeling we need scaremongering and propaganda for ages because at the moment peoples attitude is that the government are doing dreadfully and because of that and things like Dominic Cummings braking rules I’m justified to do that too. 

• Haha 1

8 hours ago, Super_horns said:

Telegraph reporting that the Government coul give councils the power to shut pubs , restaurants etc till July .

Guess that is a worse case situation ?

Well there is starting to be a lot of media/scientist talk/rumour that restrictions need to be extended into the summer so I wouldn't be surprised at this at all.

3 minutes ago, reynard said:

Well there is starting to be a lot of media/scientist talk/rumour that restrictions need to be extended into the summer so I wouldn't be surprised at this at all.

It wouldn’t surprise me either but I don’t get why restaurants especially need to be closed for that long. The ones I went in were really well regulated.

34 minutes ago, st albans fox said:

Is this worth thinking about ?  If no one is really catching the flu this winter cos of the restrictions, how will that virus mutate in order to survive?  Are we going to see a terrible flu season next winter as a consequence?

I think a few have mentioned it. Same with colds as well being more serious as there's been less exposure to it for the body to prepare against it. 

1 minute ago, Lcfc82 said:

It wouldn’t surprise me either but I don’t get why restaurants especially need to be closed for that long. The ones I went in were really well regulated.

Because Pubs and restaurants and shops and musuems and galleries are an easy target. Easier to close than offices and politically easier to close than schools.

Personally can't see why Museums and galleries with strict ticketing access are closed as much as pubs.

• Like 3

41 minutes ago, st albans fox said:

Is this worth thinking about ?  If no one is really catching the flu this winter cos of the restrictions, how will that virus mutate in order to survive?  Are we going to see a terrible flu season next winter as a consequence?

I wouldn’t worry too much,  a virus has no concept of the big picture.  

If a virus is prevalent in the population and (because there is a lot of copying going on) a mistake arises that spreads better then that more successfully variant will spread faster.

With flu there is currently much less of it about, less copying and so less chance of a new strain arising,

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Stivo said:

I wouldn’t worry too much,  a virus has no concept of the big picture.  

If a virus is prevalent in the population and (because there is a lot of copying going on) a mistake arises that spreads better then that more successfully variant will spread faster.

With flu there is currently much less of it about, less copying and so less chance of a new strain arising,

I thought that virus’ will mutate in order to survive ..... they are can only survive by infecting a host and spreading ... if we stop that spread then what will they do to survive ?  That’s my question really ...  I’m not sure that they just go away......

43 minutes ago, st albans fox said:

I thought that virus’ will mutate in order to survive ..... they are can only survive by infecting a host and spreading ... if we stop that spread then what will they do to survive ?  That’s my question really ...  I’m not sure that they just go away......

That’s it though, it doesn’t mutate to survive, it has no concept of surviving, and mutations are just accidents.

Mistakes in copying arise, and if they are better fitted to surviving then they become more prevalent.  

Each individual flu virus doesn’t know that we are behaving differently this year and it cannot devise a purposeful plan to adapt.

By socially distancing we are applying a selective pressure.  If a mutation or more likely a set of mutations accidentally arose that made flu more transmissible in a socially distanced world then yes it would have an advantage.

But, against that, we currently have much less flu about and so less opportunity for such mutations to occur.  We have lived with flu for a long time and thus presumably there is no single mutation that gives a big advantage or it would have previously been selected for.

Now if you wait long enough and socially distance into the future it is possible that a super flu may evolve, but your question was about next year.

• Like 1