Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
filbertway

Coronavirus Thread

31 minutes ago, Line-X said:

Throughout this crisis we are reminded of the fragility and vulnerability of mankind to nature which is entirely indifferent to our plight. Despite the breakthroughs, Science and Technology can only go so far at one time; nature is frequently one step ahead while social inequities always remain. Ironically, it is the exponential pace of technological change and our consumer lifestyles that accompany this that are threatening our continued existence on the planet. As opposed to Mathusian prophecies of doom, I am more inclined towards Ester Boserup's belief that 'necessity is the Mother of invention', but nature always has something in its locker and currently there are several very conspicuous civilisation threatening scenarios that we simply cannot currently engineer our way out of should they come to pass.

Fear the 575 page thread about antibiotic resistance - but bizarrely we should already have thousands of pages dedicated to climate change. A sudden catastrophe such as the eruption of a supervolcano or at the very least, a Carrington Event - and no such thread exists.  

This is all spot on.

The problem is, as far as I can think, that as long as humans are wedded to short-term self-interest with empathy barely extending beyond our line of sight as we are inclined to be, that "necessity" will continue to be the mother of invention...and as you infer, that is a pathway that allows nature to spin the roulette wheel for us every day. This outbreak was just a taste of that.

Maybe as a species we might be able to change our thinking a little before the ball lands on "0" again.

• Thanks 1

Guest Harrydc
3 hours ago, Benguin said:

Presumably because people can’t look them in the eyes.

I’ve been feeling we need scaremongering and propaganda for ages because at the moment peoples attitude is that the government are doing dreadfully and because of that and things like Dominic Cummings braking rules I’m justified to do that too. 

I think it was a shameful piece of propaganda. 

3 minutes ago, Harrydc said:

I think it was a shameful piece of propaganda. 

People are not following rules, that’s plain to see, what do you think needs to be done to get people to follow rules, out of curiosity? I can only see drastic actions, such as this propaganda achieving anything. 

Seeing a lot of clamour for zero covid.

I feel like we're too far along, Boris has said we'll be living with it in some form basically forever, and with the vaccine roll out ramped up to required levels come April/May, it won't be needed anyway. 

Wish people would just sit tight til that point and then relax. Zero Covid would've been the right strategy in March, but not now.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Leicester_Loyal said:

April or May until the schools reopen, Jesus :nono:

WHAT!!??

Where does it say this?

No way my kids will survive until then.
I’ll have strangled them long before April/May time. 

1 hour ago, Leicester_Loyal said:

April or May until the schools reopen, Jesus :nono:

They'll open after the Easter holiday, if not a bit before if we can get case numbers down as quickly as we have been doing. No way will schools be shut into May unless there's a sudden uptick in infections. 

1 hour ago, Nod.E said:

Seeing a lot of clamour for zero covid.

I feel like we're too far along, Boris has said we'll be living with it in some form basically forever, and with the vaccine roll out ramped up to required levels come April/May, it won't be needed anyway. 

Wish people would just sit tight til that point and then relax. Zero Covid would've been the right strategy in March, but not now.

I've been reading a lot of Devi Sridhar's stuff recently, I think she's delusional and would question her motives. Zero covid is idealistic, theoretical and has no long term end goal. 

Would the British public really lockdown for 6+ months to get levels to zero and would they be prepared to go into a national lockdown everytime a new cluster of cases breaks out, even with a vaccine?? We'd also need to quarantine every truck driver entering the country for 10/14 days?? That's not going to happen, or else the country would grind to a halt. 

• Sad 1

2 hours ago, Col city fan said:

Guys and gals just be careful at the mo

I personally know a few people at present with the virus (Leicester) and it’s making most of them feel like shite

Use your heads...

You don’t have to tell me Col ..  the neighbours on the left all have it (6 of them)  ...   and our neighbours on the right all have it (4 of them) ...  

We’re surrounded !!! ...   :surrender:

1 hour ago, Izzy said:

WHAT!!??

Where does it say this?

No way my kids will survive until then.
I’ll have strangled them long before April/May time. 

Gareth Williamson was talking about it this morning. 

Spoons are quietly making purchases of pubs around the country for knockdown prices, the rich get richer as they say!

2 hours ago, Countryfox said:

You don’t have to tell me Col ..  the neighbours on the left all have it (6 of them)  ...   and our neighbours on the right all have it (4 of them) ...  

We’re surrounded !!! ...   :surrender:

Aye, I forgot to mention all of them are in their 30’s too!

Don’t be popping next door for ‘a cup of sugar’ at the moment bud

👍

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Leicester_Loyal said:

493,013 vaccinations announced today.

491,970 first doses.

1043 second doses.

https://coronavirus.data.gov.uk/details/vaccinations

Cracking stuff. That's 6.35m now with their first vaccine done, plus an additional 470k having had both doses.

I expect today's figures will be lower due to it being a Sunday, plus snow disruption etc.

Still though, if these figures continue on this trajectory or even hover around the 500k a day mark, the mid-Feb target should be achieved fairly comfortably. 

I'm still hopefully of restrictions easing around Easter time. By the summer we should be virtually unlocked (albeit with distancing still in place, plus I'd expect restrictions to return winter 2021 as cases inevitably rise again).

Guest Harrydc

14 minutes ago, DennisNedry said:

Cracking stuff. That's 6.35m now with their first vaccine done, plus an additional 470k having had both doses.

I expect today's figures will be lower due to it being a Sunday, plus snow disruption etc.

Still though, if these figures continue on this trajectory or even hover around the 500k a day mark, the mid-Feb target should be achieved fairly comfortably. 

I'm still hopefully of restrictions easing around Easter time. By the summer we should be virtually unlocked (albeit with distancing still in place, plus I'd expect restrictions to return winter 2021 as cases inevitably rise again).

I don't understand why we would require restrictions next winter if everyone (or the majority) has been vaccinated.. Is this life now??? 

Just now, Harrydc said:

I don't understand why we would require restrictions next winter if everyone (or the majority) has been vaccinated.. Is this life now??? 

I suppose because although vaccines are probably the best way out of this, it's still not 100% sure that they are a way out of it. We don't know what things are going to look like yet and I'd prefer it if we avoid saying with certainty when we can go back to normal considering the Christmas debacle. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Harrydc said:

Nor do I, it’s hit us hard  this winter because no one had been vaccinated. The whole point is to protect us for next winter, not the summer, we saw cases dropping to hardly anything last summer.

Guest Harrydc

Matt Hancock also saying today that we're a 'long long way off' easing restrictions. You'd imagine with this 'world beating' vaccine we'd be closer than ever to not just easing restrictions, but completely ending them. 

Just now, yorkie1999 said:

Nor do I, it’s hit us hard  this winter because no one had been vaccinated. The whole point is to protect us for next winter, not the summer, we saw cases dropping to hardly anything last summer.

S. Africa and Brazil have been badly hit during their summers. We don't know for sure that new variants will disappear during the summer.

It's like Leicester matches. I'm confident, but I'm trying to stay psychologically prepared for things not to go as I'd like. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Interesting figures which highlights the disparity of vaccinations between European countries. Hopefully there will be significant improvement as it is based upon current rollout. Can certainly see why Italy are kicking off. 

I suppose it highlights the challenge of rolling out vaccinations across the world and I assume delays increase the chances of new variants popping up.

• Like 1