Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
filbertway

Coronavirus Thread

58 minutes ago, Mapperleyfox said:

Without a doubt, we're in agreement, it's just a bleak picture in terms of what's left come Easter or Summer.

And then there's the tens of thousands of unemployed to consider.

My village pub have told me they're living off fumes, and can't survive beyond March/April at best.

One of the four in my village had a chance (its a big village to be fair, 4 does seem like a lot!) as they were doing a great trade in pizza takeaway etc but the local authority have now had something to say about that, apparently.

1 of the 4 is done already; the last straw being when they restocked last time we were allowed to go to the pub again, then ended up having to close again and pouring away a fortune in beer. The other 2 are part of larger chains; well, more like pub groups. I would doubt if they can tough it out until summer.

You have to assume its similar across the country.

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, Alf Bentley said:

Only just heard that there were major anti-lockdown riots in the Netherlands over the weekend. 

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-health-coronavirus-netherlands-protes/dutch-pm-condemns-lockdown-riots-as-criminal-volence-idUSKBN29U0W3

"The police said hundreds of people had been detained after incidents that began on Saturday evening and lasted until the early hours of Monday, including some in which rioters threw rocks and in one case knives at police and burned down a COVID-19 testing station. [...] The police trade union NPB said there could be more protests ahead, as people grow increasingly frustrated with the country’s months-long lockdown. “We haven’t seen so much violence in 40 years,” union board member Koen Simmers said on television program Nieuwsuur". :blink:

Gonna happen when you have a bunch of hippies coming down from years of space cake.

• Haha 1

Just now, Nalis said:

Non wumming q - what would you define as lockdown then? Being quarantined with zero access to the outside world?

Pretty much.  A scenario where the general public are, you know, locked down.  When the roads are empty save for essential traffic, not like today where I received a supplies order a few hours late because the poor guy got stuck in traffic on the motorway on his way down.

Think more along the lines of S.K. early last year where they all stayed in for a couple of weeks to stop the virus getting a proper foothold and were sent care packages courtesy of their government.  

59 minutes ago, Alf Bentley said:

Only just heard that there were major anti-lockdown riots in the Netherlands over the weekend. 

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-health-coronavirus-netherlands-protes/dutch-pm-condemns-lockdown-riots-as-criminal-volence-idUSKBN29U0W3

"The police said hundreds of people had been detained after incidents that began on Saturday evening and lasted until the early hours of Monday, including some in which rioters threw rocks and in one case knives at police and burned down a COVID-19 testing station. [...] The police trade union NPB said there could be more protests ahead, as people grow increasingly frustrated with the country’s months-long lockdown. “We haven’t seen so much violence in 40 years,” union board member Koen Simmers said on television program Nieuwsuur". :blink:

50 minutes ago, Alf Bentley said:

https://news.sky.com/story/covid-19-pm-confirms-data-on-easing-restrictions-will-be-assessed-before-mid-february-12198323

"Data on when coronavirus lockdown restrictions can start to be eased will be assessed before mid-February, the prime minister has said.

Boris Johnson said the government will be "looking at the potential of relaxing some measures" before the middle of next month".

I really hope that any such easing as early as mid-Feb is science/data-led and done cautiously. I hope this isn't Johnson being over-optimistic and/or seeking to do what "the people" or the Tory libertarians want.

Mind you, given the pressure within his own ranks, I wouldn't blame him for dangling a carrot by alluding to a mid-Feb easing, then either making only minor adjustments in mid-Feb or saying that sadly it's not possible, if the numbers don't improve as we all hope. Certainly, some figures are going in the right direction (infection rates, vaccinations), but numbers in hospital are still at record levels and not falling yet and 30-40k new infections per day is still bloody high, even if it's much better than 60-70k or whatever it was.

Hopefully, if all numbers go in the right direction, then some easing might be possible in mid-Feb, but only limited I'm guessing.......start with the outdoor gym on Victoria Park, Bozza! :thumbup:

I'd imagine things like this go hand-in-hand. Brits are probably the most docile people you'll find, but surely there's a limit. As much as it sucks to play the ring around the lockdown, we need carrots. If it gets to the point where we need the stick, it's probably too late.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Innovindil said:

I'd imagine things like this go hand-in-hand. Brits are probably the most docile people you'll find, but surely there's a limit. As much as it sucks to play the ring around the lockdown, we need carrots. If it gets to the point where we need the stick, it's probably too late.

I find many of us need something to aim for, both in life and in the workplace, it gets us through the day, the week, the month and the year.

Now Boris shouldn't be saying this will be open by then, or giving out specific dates, but he should start to set out a roadmap, saying we will review it on this date and we've set out a plan of things and how they'll be reopening, so we know what to expect e.g. Schools first, followed by non essential retail, then restaurants, then pubs.

The data posted above regarding Israel is very promising, hopefully we'll start to see a drop by Sunday, as we had 2.4m first doses and 403k doses done by the 10th January (3 weeks ago on the coming Sunday).

36 minutes ago, Carl the Llama said:

Pretty much.  A scenario where the general public are, you know, locked down.  When the roads are empty save for essential traffic, not like today where I received a supplies order a few hours late because the poor guy got stuck in traffic on the motorway on his way down.

Think more along the lines of S.K. early last year where they all stayed in for a couple of weeks to stop the virus getting a proper foothold and were sent care packages courtesy of their government.  

I guess I see what you mean - for a start there shouldn't be enough cars on the roads to cause slow traffic.

2 minutes ago, Izzy said:

Went for my vaccination earlier and most impressed with the military precision of it all. Even though we're out in the sticks here, there must have been 25-30 staff/volunteers involved and a steady stream of people being jabbed. Nice to see my old retired GP there volunteering too :thumbup:

The only strange thing was the paperwork and card I ended up with said I had the Astra Zeneca one, but the nurse told me "it's the Oxford one today" (none of this foreign rubbish :D)

Feel a bit queasy/light headed now though :unsure:

Did you mean Pfizer?

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Izzy said:

Went for my vaccination earlier and most impressed with the military precision of it all. Even though we're out in the sticks here, there must have been 25-30 staff/volunteers involved and a steady stream of people being jabbed. Nice to see my old retired GP there volunteering too :thumbup:

The only strange thing was the paperwork and card I ended up with said I had the Astra Zeneca one, but the nurse told me "it's the Oxford one today" (none of this foreign rubbish :D)

To put your mind at ease, the AstraZeneca one is the Oxford one.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, Izzy said:

Queasy/light-headed - one of the possible side effects of vaccination is development of a slight fever, this could be an early sign.  As I'm not a doctor, probably not though. Hope you feel better soon.:)

• Thanks 1

24 minutes ago, Izzy said:

Don't worry that's just the microchip syncing with Microsoft HQ, you'll be reprogrammed not to feel it shortly.

• Haha 1

50 minutes ago, Innovindil said:

37 minutes ago, Leicester_Loyal said:

I find many of us need something to aim for, both in life and in the workplace, it gets us through the day, the week, the month and the year.

Now Boris shouldn't be saying this will be open by then, or giving out specific dates, but he should start to set out a roadmap, saying we will review it on this date and we've set out a plan of things and how they'll be reopening, so we know what to expect e.g. Schools first, followed by non essential retail, then restaurants, then pubs.

Yes, I'm all in favour of carrots so long as the nosebag isn't overfilled regardless of the performance of the horse! :D

I just hope that, when it comes to the assessment in Feb, the Govt listens more to the scientists and not too much to their libertarian right-wing backbenchers.

I completely agree that we need something to aim for - and it's tough for all, to varying degrees.

My (hopefully realistic) personal aim is: view Feb/March as close to a write-off but look forward to being able to visit friends & make trips away within the UK by about May - and abroad by Sept.

I'm a bit concerned that Johnson's inclination will be to follow the desires of "the people" so as to be popular and/or to pander to his Tory libertarians, relaxing too much too early.....thereby jeopardising ideas of a fuller unlocking by May or summer.

Hopefully he'll show uncharacteristic good sense when it's assessment time and is just making these comments to give the public hope and/or to keep restive backbenchers from causing trouble.

26 minutes ago, Crinklyfox said:

Queasy/light-headed - one of the possible side effects of vaccination is development of a slight fever, this could be an early sign.  As I'm not a doctor, probably not though. Hope you feel better soon.:)

Thanks mate. I know you've been shielding too, so I assume you've also had your first jab by now?

If so, did you suffer any side effects?

4 minutes ago, harpendenfox said:

A bit of positive news - the number of people testing positive is coming down rapidly at the moment (I follow this stuff far too closely, almost obsessively). So the numbers reported on each Monday in January are as follows:

4th:  58,784

11th: 46,169

18th: 37,535

25th: 22,195

Whilst the awful daily death numbers reported will remain high for a week or two more, they will then reduce, as will the pressure on hospitals (nationally that hit a peak last week and will now likely reduce steadily, although some hospitals will continue to experience significant problems.

Excellent stuff. 

Just goes to show that by and large the public are following the restrictions superbly. They always do when the rules are clear and straightforward.

36 minutes ago, harpendenfox said:

A bit of positive news - the number of people testing positive is coming down rapidly at the moment (I follow this stuff far too closely, almost obsessively). So the numbers reported on each Monday in January are as follows:

4th:  58,784

11th: 46,169

18th: 37,535

25th: 22,195

Whilst the awful daily death numbers reported will remain high for a week or two more, they will then reduce, as will the pressure on hospitals (nationally that hit a peak last week and will now likely reduce steadily, although some hospitals will continue to experience significant problems.)

Meanwhile the vaccination programme is gathering pace. We should hit the mid February target for priority groups one to four. There is initial encouraging data on protection from serious illness from Israel, which is far ahead of every other country in the vaccination stakes. I believe come March both AZ and Pfizer will be producing far more vaccine per week, and we will take our first delivery of Moderna. It would not surprise me if one million doses of vaccine are being administered per day by April.

There are still lots of ifs, buts and maybes, but I am quietly confident. I even think come May we might see small crowds allowed at the KP. Say 5000. I may well be wrong, but hope I am right.

Correct me if i'm wrong, but doesn't it finish in May.

35 minutes ago, Finnaldo said:

Excellent stuff. 

Just goes to show that by and large the public are following the restrictions superbly. They always do when the rules are clear and straightforward.

Hopefully good news but there have been a lot less tests the last two days so possibly not quite a big as drop as it seems

3 hours ago, Nod.E said:

What have you got if you don't have hope? 

Negative thinking breeds negative outcomes.

Being positive and having hope and optimism plays a big part of my coping mechanism.

I think it definitely makes my life better.

Yes, there are times when I'm down and upset, like everyone, but I try and focus on the good things around.

Mindset is key to so many things.

• Like 4