Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
filbertway

Coronavirus Thread

1 hour ago, Lionator said:

It’s got very little to do with vaccine refusers. As I mentioned above, the majority of these cases are in young people and fingers crossed hospitalisations will not increase. If anything this will prove that vaccines work. 

There was always going to be an increase in cases when we reopened because this is an infectious disease with little immunity, variants or not. It’s important that we don’t panic at the sign of this happening and vaccinate young people even quicker than we are doing now.

Yes I realise that.
But when it finds it’s way to older people who aren’t vaccinated it will translate into higher hospital admissions and death. SAGE will flap and the government will panic.

26 minutes ago, Chocolate Teapot said:

They just need to crack on with getting younger people. We got off to a flyer on the vaccines but there's been a big slowdown. Initially I was due to be done by the start of May but haven't had the chance as of yet.

The demand for second doses ( ie from people who received their first dose 10-12 weeks earlier) will  drop sharply in mid June and so 1st doses will speed up again.

10 hours ago, Kasey Keller said:

Had mine today at oadby racecourse, very busy but very well organised.

had Pfizer ....😎

Went to peepul centre today for a second attempt to find pfizer. No luck. AZ only.

So drove over to racecourse on back of this post to see if i could blag my way in. Dead as a dodo. All.closed up! 

No pfizer..No Jab for me.

12 minutes ago, Paninistickers said:

Went to peepul centre today for a second attempt to find pfizer. No luck. AZ only.

So drove over to racecourse on back of this post to see if i could blag my way in. Dead as a dodo. All.closed up! 

No pfizer..No Jab for me.

I was hesitant about not having Astra and wanted the Pfizer, they are doing both at oadby, but as iam just under 40 I was put in the queue for that one which was a relief 😅 

1 hour ago, filbertway said:

When will Vaccine pace be picking up again? 100k a day it's gonna take another half a year to get everyone done.

Maths provides the answer: At the moment they are doing around 600,000 per day, of which 500,000 are second doses, and the requirement for those second doses really ramped up at the end of March. Within 6 weeks, all those second doses will be done, and, assuming the supply continues at the same rate, we will be able to do 500,000 first doses again, with only 100,000 second doses required per day (although it will probably end up being more even that that, with lots of the April/May recipients called for their second jab early). 

So, short answer, early/mid June we will go back up to half a million first doses per day, and should complete all first jabs by mid July.  

I imagine the slight complexity is that we have more AZ than Pfizer/Moderna, when the U30s are advised to take the latter, although those jabs are now coming on stream pretty solidly too, it appears. 

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, MonkeyTennis? said:

Maths provides the answer: At the moment they are doing around 600,000 per day, of which 500,000 are second doses, and the requirement for those second doses really ramped up at the end of March. Within 6 weeks, all those second doses will be done, and, assuming the supply continues at the same rate, we will be able to do 500,000 first doses again, with only 100,000 second doses required per day (although it will probably end up being more even that that, with lots of the April/May recipients called for their second jab early). 

So, short answer, early/mid June we will go back up to half a million first doses per day, and should complete all first jabs by mid July.  

I imagine the slight complexity is that we have more AZ than Pfizer/Moderna, when the U30s are advised to take the latter, although those jabs are now coming on stream pretty solidly too, it appears. 

Ahh, so it's down to us being limited to being able to give out 600,000 a day.

33 minutes ago, filbertway said:

Ahh, so it's down to us being limited to being able to give out 600,000 a day.

I mean, I think so. I don't have any inside information, but if we have topped out at 600K per day, I think we will be almost all done by summer. (But that's assuming we have all the appropriate jabs for the right age groups.)

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, MonkeyTennis? said:

I mean, I think so. I don't have any inside information, but if we have topped out at 600K per day, I think we will be almost all done by summer. (But that's assuming we have all the appropriate jabs for the right age groups.)

Makes sense, I was confused because I remember hearing that we had a moderna expected in around april/may. So was wondering why I hadn't heard anything about a drive to get more first jabs done. Capacity limitations makes sense though

11 hours ago, dsr-burnley said:

So what they are saying is that the evidence suggests that people who have been vaccinated are safe, and there is no evidence that people who haven't been vaccinated will even know they have it, and so WE NEED TO PANIC NOW!  PANIC PANIC PANIC!!!

i would be interested to see how many of these 1,700 cases were serious enough to go to hospital with; and how many even had symptoms at all.  Chances are they were mostly asymptomatic.

There have been more worries about long COVID in the young in recent weeks I think but yes hopefully only a very small minority of incidents.

22 minutes ago, Chocolate Teapot said:

I reckon we'll be back in lockdown soon. Clearly ****ed up the border control, which is novel for a government obsessed with protecting our borders.

I honestly can't see how we could be. We're averaging 10 deaths a day, with more and more people being vaccinated everyday. People aren't going to follow the rules when there's a handful of people dying everyday, we'd need it to be in the hundreds again or people just aren't going to take notice, like they haven't been doing for the previous 3 months.

Be nice when they start on the under 30s, can't be more than 6 weeks or so away surely?

• Like 2

Is there any sensible data on the Indian variant available? Can’t be arsed to trawl through media wanks over ‘interfering with roadmap because it spreads fast’. What do we know about hospital cases, deaths etc.? 

• Like 1

I got a text on Monday, that was from my drs, that asked me to book a jab. I followed the link and I didn't have to put my name in or anything, I'm booked in Saturday morning. I've had another text from NHS vaccine today asking me to book and it's through the NHS website. Do stick with appointment 1, or do I book again with the NHS site?

Just now, Finnaldo said:

Is there any sensible data on the Indian variant available? Can’t be arsed to trawl through media wanks over ‘interfering with roadmap because it spreads fast’. What do we know about hospital cases, deaths etc.? 

Vaguely remember reading there'd been an outbreak in a vaccinated care home with 0 deaths and just a couple of non-serious hospital admissions. 

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, bovril said:

Vaguely remember reading there'd been an outbreak in a vaccinated care home with 0 deaths and just a couple of non-serious hospital admissions. 

Yeah I remembered that but wasn’t 100% sure if it was the Indian variant. Seems it was! 

I just read a Reuters article that said the Kent variant is actually driving cases up in areas like New Delhi, and we’ve managed that one pretty well after the third wave.

It seems the majority of these ‘bad’ variants get hold in countries that generally hold massive slum areas, with lots of poorer people in close proximity with limited healthcare (Brazil, South Africa, now India) and when it runs rampant there it’s somewhat conflated. I don’t want to tempt fate but when these variants hit a country with massively lower poverty levels and much better healthcare accessibility they don’t fare as well. So hopefully that’s the case here. 

Edited by Finnaldo

Just now, Finnaldo said:

It seems the majority of these ‘bad’ variants get hold in countries that generally hold massive slum areas, with lots of poorer people in close proximity with limited healthcare (Brazil, South Africa, now India)

and Kent

• Haha 2

33 minutes ago, Facecloth said:

I got a text on Monday, that was from my drs, that asked me to book a jab. I followed the link and I didn't have to put my name in or anything, I'm booked in Saturday morning. I've had another text from NHS vaccine today asking me to book and it's through the NHS website. Do stick with appointment 1, or do I book again with the NHS site?

Stick with the one from your doctors. It will probably be more local than the mass vaccination centre.

I got the official NHS message, went to book and the mass vaccination centre was miles away. I waited 2-3 days, then got a message from the local GP, and got booked in locally.

1 minute ago, foxile5 said:

Not started on the under forties in my Area yet! 

I believe anyone aged 38 or 39 can now book to get the jab at one of the mass centres - just book online. Your local GP surgery may be a little behind this.

1 minute ago, foxile5 said:

Not started on the under forties in my Area yet! 

Thought everywhere was doing 38 & 39 year olds now?

https://www.nhs.uk/conditions/coronavirus-covid-19/coronavirus-vaccination/book-coronavirus-vaccination/

Can certainly book anyway, although maybe you'll have to travel slightly.

In Wales they've done loads of people who are under 20!

3 minutes ago, Big Dave said:

Stick with the one from your doctors. It will probably be more local than the mass vaccination centre.

I got the official NHS message, went to book and the mass vaccination centre was miles away. I waited 2-3 days, then got a message from the local GP, and got booked in locally.

I had a look and you're right, they are miles away. The local one is 10 minutes walk.

Just found it weird I didn't have to enter my name on the drs one. Unless it's an exclusive link, so they already know its me.