Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
filbertway

Coronavirus Thread

12 hours ago, Harrydc said:

That's one way to create a 2 tier society. 

TBF the yanks (well the ones that run the CDC at least) are being a lot more sensible on this than we are.

This whole it’s not safe until Uncle Boris says mentality  that exists among many in this country is stupid.

Edited by MattFox
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, Harrydc said:

How you can compare these things to being able to freely breathe and show your face I'll never know. 

Having been wearing a facemask in public places for the last year or so, my conclusion is that it is entrirely possibly to freely breathe whilst wearing one.

1 hour ago, filbertway said:

I always find this quite a weird point to make, I'm not sure how much merit it has. 

It's quite interesting to see something like this, then in the depression thread, you get tonnes of people posting in there feeling guilty because they don't think their problems or feelings are valid. Which is understandable when they're told that they aren't.

Do only the people born into the most extreme poverty have the right to feel hard done by, or is it okay to feel aggrieved if something is difficult relative to what you're used to?

In a less extreme example, it's similar to people not being allowed to be upset if Leicester throw away a good position because we used to have no money and were crap.

Very weird. Repetitive and condescending as well.

52 minutes ago, MattFox said:

TBF the yanks (well the ones that run the CDC at least) are being a lot more sensible on this than we are.

This whole it’s not safe until Uncle Boris says mentality  that exists among many in this country is stupid.

Said it in this thread before, not trying to do a ‘them and us’, but the mask mandates and protocols in place from March last year in my state have been much more sensible than what I’ve seen out of Boris and his crew (I.e multiple lockdowns).

Had a couple of friends over last night, we’re all vaccinated and they walked in without masks on. It was quite surreal and felt like a turning point.

The only thing left now for us to be considered ‘back to normal’ is opening up a travel corridor with the U.K. Quite why there is a ban on the U.K. currently when both countries are doing well with vaccinations and now you don’t have to wear a mask is beyond me. It’s been 18 months since I’ve seen my family. Time to open those borders up Joe :D 

45 minutes ago, Nuneatonfox in Manchester said:

I generally like @Line-X's posts to be honest, although sometimes I will admit, I sometimes get a paragraph or two in to a long post and then start wondering if I'm ready for such a big commitment haha.

I just always take exception to the "you can't be annoyed or upset, things could be worse" argument.

• Like 1

Two increase of rates which I know about have come from school outbreaks.

Long Eatons origins were from an outbreak at a sixth form college.

Harboroughs increase is also from a school outbreak in 16 year olds.

So, when you drill down to it, outbreaks in unvaccinated people from indoor settings, well, doesn’t that make sense? Like, this would’ve surely happened Indian variant or no Indian variant...

I don’t doubt that there is reason to be concerned over the Indian variant, however, it does need more study as at the moment, there’s correlations definitely, but I wouldn’t say there’s a reason to panic, so long as we know the vaccine works (which early data suggests it does).

51 minutes ago, Nuneatonfox in Manchester said:

3 minutes ago, filbertway said:

I generally like @Line-X's posts to be honest, although sometimes I will admit, I sometimes get a paragraph or two in to a long post and then start wondering if I'm ready for such a big commitment haha.

I just always take exception to the "you can't be annoyed or upset, things could be worse" argument.

The posts are certainly long, but they're repetitive because other people keep rehashing the same points and I honestly can't see where they're condescending.

Some clarification on that might be nice.

1 minute ago, leicsmac said:

The posts are certainly long, but they're repetitive because other people keep rehashing the same points and I honestly can't see where they're condescending.

Some clarification on that might be nice.

Absolutely, this is why I'm terrible at debating/arguing, I'm too lazy :D 

Unless it's about my passionate dislike for pragmatic defensive football, I can argue about that all day.

11 minutes ago, filbertway said:

Absolutely, this is why I'm terrible at debating/arguing, I'm too lazy :D 

Unless it's about my passionate dislike for pragmatic defensive football, I can argue about that all day.

I get that. :D

Science and science communication in particular is my wheelhouse, so I do enjoy trying to make sure it is scientific fact rather than misinformation that prevails on here and I appreciate @Line-X
doing the same, usually more accurately.

2 minutes ago, Nuneatonfox in Manchester said:

I’m not suprised. It seems to me that most of your own posts absolutely reek of it.

Fair enough, I would hope such things were judged on content rather than tone but fair enough, of course you're free to judge as you like.

Still wouldn't mind a clarification as to why

exactly Line-X is being condescending in your opinion, though (beyond us sharing viewpoints on science often, that is).

23 minutes ago, leicsmac said:

Fair enough, I would hope such things were judged on content rather than tone but fair enough, of course you're free to judge as you like.

Still wouldn't mind a clarification as to why

exactly Line-X is being condescending in your opinion, though (beyond us sharing viewpoints on science often, that is).

We are not children, we understand that suffering is relative. We are allowed to be frustrated with the disruption to our lives for over a year, and having an Indian slum shoved in our faces to show us how lucky we are imo has an air of moral superiority, which is unnecessary.

Sorry Line-X I just really want to go to the pub 😊

Edited by Nuneatonfox in Manchester

2 minutes ago, Nuneatonfox in Manchester said:

We are not children, we understand that suffering is relative. We are allowed to be frustrated with the disruption to our lives for over a year, and having an Indian slum shoved in our faces to show us how lucky we are imo has an air of moral superiority, which is unnecessary.

Thank you.

32 minutes ago, Nuneatonfox in Manchester said:

Sure, add alcohol to the mix.

What could possibly go wrong?

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Nuneatonfox in Manchester said:

lol I get that. Trust me, so do I.

But I'm also aware that there are some that really want to get to a healthcare provider. 

No you are not "children" yet some of the viewpoints and beliefs expressed on here by a small minority are at times childish and self-centered to the extreme. This is a global crisis. You may not wish to regard it that way but although suffering is as you correctly say is relative we also need perspective upon the plight of others. We are in a strong position and are very likely on course to lift restrictions and remaining limitations on social contact by June 21st. However, the caveat has always been that variants are out there and will continue to emerge. This is a war with nature and nature is completely indifferent and not duty bound to a government drafted roadmap. Those that fail to appreciate that we live in a chaotic world, that are unable to comprehend the vagaries of nature are invariably the ones that seek order, meaning, explanation and often comfort through conspiracy theory and very often superstition. 

5 hours ago, filbertway said:

It's quite interesting to see something like this, then in the depression thread, you get tonnes of people posting in there feeling guilty because they don't think their problems or feelings are valid. Which is understandable when they're told that they aren't.

Of course people's feelings are valid - and they are very real and particular to them.

I respond when emotionally charged opinion is arrogantly asserted and forced on others as fact. If you would like some recent examples of this I would be more than happy to oblige. 

5 hours ago, filbertway said:

Do only the people born into the most extreme poverty have the right to feel hard done by, or is it okay to feel aggrieved if something is difficult relative to what you're used to?

As @Nuneatonfox in Manchester commented, suffering is of course relative. The ramifications of lockdown in respect of the mental health and well being of the nation and the UK economy have been devastating. The last 15 months have severely impacted upon my life and those close to me. That I elect not to air that on this thread is my choice - although I absolutely respect those that do. I have little tolerance however for those that continually negatively moan and complain about restrictions like a stuck record - evidently completely oblivious to the wider context of the plight of others less fortunate than themselves. We all have fought our battles and are confronted with our personal demons. Lockdown has intensified this. However, life has taught me to take stock/into account and never take for granted what I do have as opposed to that which I feel I have been denied and to be thankful irrespective of whatever wrongdoing or injustice I feel that I have been dealt. I am grateful to have running water, electricity, education, a roof over my head, access to state healthcare, freedom of speech and the liberty that the western democracy I was born into affords whilst again appreciating that this is not absolute and opportunity and social welfare is inequitable.

A degree of perspective at this time is not however I feel unwarranted. If you take exception to, or are affronted by that photo of a Mumbai slum or with it the suggestion that we are in a better position than some other parts of the word - then perhaps like others, your main concern throughout this is that "you just really want to get to the pub". 

Edited by Line-X
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, Line-X said:

I respond when emotionally charged opinion is arrogantly asserted and forced on others as fact. If you would like some recent examples of this I would be more than happy to oblige. 

3 minutes ago, Line-X said:

As @Nuneatonfox in Manchester commented, suffering is of course relative. The ramifications of lockdown in respect of the mental health and well being of the nation and the UK economy have been devastating. The last 15 months have severely impacted upon my life and those close to me. That I elect not to air that on this thread is my choice - although I absolutely respect those that do. I have little tolerance however for those that continually negatively moan and complain about restrictions like a stuck record - evidently completely oblivious to the wider context of the plight of others less fortunate than themselves. We all have fought our battles and are confronted with our personal demons. Lockdown has intensified this. However, life has taught me to take stock/into account and never take for granted what I do have as opposed to that which I feel I have been denied and to be thankful irrespective of whatever wrongdoing or injustice I feel that I have been dealt. I am grateful to have running water, electricity, education, a roof over my head, access to state healthcare, freedom of speech and the liberty that the western democracy I was born into affords. A degree of perspective at this time is not I feel unwarranted. If you take exception to, or are affronted by that photo or the suggestion that we are in a better position than some other parts of the word - then perhaps like others, your main concern throughout this is that you just really want to get to the pub. 

There's absolutely nothing I can argue with there haha, all very fair points and I think to some degree that it's absolutely right to point out that people may need a little perspective at times, it's easy to lose it when you're feeling crap. 

You're damn right I want to get back to work, to the pub, to the football, to gigs, going away for weekends. I'm craving structure and to do the things that make my life enjoyable. All i'm doing at the moment is getting fatter and giving less of a shit every day lol I've also been behind the restrictions and vaccines and efforts made to stop the spread of the virus. 

My main grievance was being annoyed by people telling me and other people that I can't be disappointed or annoyed because "x has it much worse". Everything else you say, I'm in total agreement with :) I wasn't jumping in to defend anyone because I disagreed with you, it's just a bit of pet hate of mine haha.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Tuna said:

And this is why a lot of people aren't arsed, if it was that bad they'd have stopped the travel. We've put our lives on hold for over 14 months now and the Government just continues to make stupid mistakes.

In other news they reckon the presser at 5pm is just about urging caution, nothing to do with the roadmap. In other words, we shall be able to drink indoors from Monday. I'm gonna get absolutely Paul Gascoigned next weekend!

1 minute ago, filbertway said:

You're damn right I want to get back to work, to the pub, to the football, to gigs, going away for weekends. I'm craving structure and to do the things that make my life enjoyable. 

So do I - and trust me, we will.

2 minutes ago, filbertway said:

main grievance was being annoyed by people telling me and other people that I can't be disappointed or annoyed because "x has it much worse". Everything else you say, I'm in total agreement with :) I wasn't jumping in to defend anyone because I disagreed with you, it's just a bit of pet hate of mine haha.

I get that. A few months ago I had a similar conversation with @Paninistickers who justifiably felt the same. However in this case, the response I feel is justified. Like I said, if someone takes umbrage to it, by all means continue to look away.

Thanks for your constructive reply, genuinely appreciated. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Line-X said:

So do I - and trust me, we will.

I get that. A few months ago I had a similar conversation with @Paninistickers who justifiably felt the same. However in this case, the response I feel is justified. Like I said, if someone takes umbrage to it, by all means continue to look away.

Thanks for your constructive reply, genuinely appreciated. 

I realise it was probably out of frustration more than anything, I'll admit I was a bit stressed when I first replied earlier otherwise I'd have just left it alone haha

You too. Here's hoping that we lift the cup tomorrow and can forget about this pandemic completely for a day :D

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Leicester_Loyal said:

And this is why a lot of people aren't arsed, if it was that bad they'd have stopped the travel. We've put our lives on hold for over 14 months now and the Government just continues to make stupid mistakes.

In other news they reckon the presser at 5pm is just about urging caution, nothing to do with the roadmap. In other words, we shall be able to drink indoors from Monday. I'm gonna get absolutely Paul Gascoigned next weekend!

What I don't get is that people can fly to a non red-list country and then don't have to quarantine. Surely they should be quarantining based on if you've been in a red-list country in the past 14-21 days.

21 minutes ago, filbertway said:

What I don't get is that people can fly to a non red-list country and then don't have to quarantine. Surely they should be quarantining based on if you've been in a red-list country in the past 14-21 days.

It seems to me that the government are only willing to set the rules for people leaving this country and are expecting other nations to do the same.

Guest Harrydc

Call me ignorant, call me selfish, call me what you like - but what's happening is disgraceful.  

It's amazing how we can have our lives completely turned upside down and fvucked up for well over a year, yet when we complain about it we're told to get 'some perspective' and that we're 'selfish'. 

If you want some 'perspective' only 0.03% of the worlds population have died within 28 days of a positive test for any reason, yet we're all being fvucked over.  

2 minutes ago, Harrydc said:

Call me ignorant, call me selfish, call me what you like - but what's happening is disgraceful.  

It's amazing how we can have our lives completely turned upside down and fvucked up for well over a year, yet when we complain about it we're told to get 'some perspective' and that we're 'selfish'. 

If you want some 'perspective' only 0.03% of the worlds population have died within 28 days of a positive test for any reason, yet we're all being fvucked over.  

That’s the thing though, despite everything being upside down for a year and all the changes that have happened in our lives, a lot of people have died. And they will continue too. 

It’s a really rubbish way everyone has had to live their lives recently, but in doing so millions of people have been saved. Not only have the lockdowns stopped people from catching it and then dying, it’s also (by the skin of our teeth here) allowed the treatment of many people who would not have survived without medical intervention. The current situation in India is a sobering reminder of what happens when you run out of healthcare capacity… How many of those people would have survived if they were in a hospital, rather than dying on the street outside it?

It’s been a tough year, but without the lockdowns it could have been so much worse. We’re through the worst of it now here, but it still needs to be handled very carefully to keep cases low. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1