Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
filbertway

Coronavirus Thread

1 hour ago, Fox92 said:

I just like posting good news in here.

Good, people are forced to wait a long time depending on capacity and whether drivers can be bothered to let them on.

Everyone wears masks, allow people to use a service they've paid for.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Babylon said:

Next they’ll be saying people without a passport can’t travel to another country, or without a driving license you can’t drive a car, or without a gun licence you can’t have a gun.

I need a licence for the guns?

Guest Harrydc
30 minutes ago, Babylon said:

Next they’ll be saying people without a passport can’t travel to another country, or without a driving license you can’t drive a car, or without a gun licence you can’t have a gun.

How you can compare these things to being able to freely breathe and show your face I'll never know. 

13 hours ago, FoxesDeb said:

Seems unlikely to you? It actually happened! I know 2 young people who did actually die as a confirmed, direct result of the vaccine, so with all due respect, please keep your thoughts that it 'seems unlikely to you' to yourself. 

I'm very sorry to hear this. Were they in Spain or in the uK?

Out of interest the latest figures from the Government website are

Table 5: Number of UK suspected thrombo-embolic events with concurrent thrombocytopenia ADR reports received for the COVID-19 Vaccine AstraZeneca by patient age up to and including 5 May 2021.

Age range (years) Number of reports Number of fatal reports
18-29 25 7
30-39 33 9
40-49 46 7
50-59 70 15
60-69 41 8
70-79 26 4
80-89 5 1
90-99 1 0
Unknown 15 0

Total

source

https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/coronavirus-covid-19-vaccine-adverse-reactions/coronavirus-vaccine-summary-of-yellow-card-reporting

9 hours ago, Otis said:

No plans to delay it.

Asked if local lockdowns were possible, Mr Johnson said: "There are a range of things we could do, we want to make sure we grip it.

"Obviously there's surge testing, there's surge tracing.

"If we have to do other things, then of course the public would want us to rule nothing out."

But he added there was no evidence to suggest England's planned lockdown easing could not go ahead.

I suspect there is a fair chance that things are going to rapidly change unless they can get these outbreaks under control. Whilst the outbreak in Bolton in reasonably confined to a certain area that isn't the case around Bedford or in South Northamptonshire where cases are more widespread amongst the community.

Of course while numbers remain low any small increase looks bad in a percentage way but though the 17th May changes will almost certainly go ahead I think we should all be far less confident about the 21st June date. There is every chance that social distancing and mask wearing will need to remain in force for more months. The mood music and statements are changing a bit right now with even local targeted lockdowns not being ruled out as far as I can see.

10 minutes ago, reynard said:

I suspect there is a fair chance that things are going to rapidly change unless they can get these outbreaks under control. Whilst the outbreak in Bolton in reasonably confined to a certain area that isn't the case around Bedford or in South Northamptonshire where cases are more widespread amongst the community.

Of course while numbers remain low any small increase looks bad in a percentage way but though the 17th May changes will almost certainly go ahead I think we should all be far less confident about the 21st June date. There is every chance that social distancing and mask wearing will need to remain in force for more months. The mood music and statements are changing a bit right now with even local targeted lockdowns not being ruled out as far as I can see.

Asking as hospitalisations don't increase rapidly we will be ok.  The vaccination programme is the key.

49 minutes ago, reynard said:

Read something this morning saying the data suggests the mRNA vaccines can combat the Indian variant. Which would mean we've got what, about 12-15m people vaccinated with that type. And they said they are also "pretty confident" the astrazeneca will, but are just waiting for the data from India. 

What we could be seeing is the issue with low take up of vaccines in the asian community, meeting a more transmissible variant. Obviously whilst not nice for those involved, fingers crossed the wider general public won't be impacted as much. 

• Like 1

This thread never fails to amaze me. 

12 hours ago, Harrydc said:

So this new 'Indian varient' could 'delay' June 21st.

Are we going to put our lives on hold forever? 

I know I'm deemed a conspiracy nut on here, but can you blame me? 

Dangle the carrot in front of our faces again just to snatch it away. Happened too many times. 

How many times does it need to be said that this is a ****ing global crisis? What is so hard to understand?. Get some perspective, stop thinking solely about yourself and be grateful you aren't living here right now...

14-Mumbaishanties1-indiaink-blog480.jpg.e7ef8166fd7388d591a75f9c00a3a0fa.jpg

Navigating this country out of restrictions via roadmap is on course. A tory government is preoccupied with the health of the economy over that of people. They are desperate to get you back into pubs, football grounds, shopping malls, out on the high street spending your money. Lockdown was through clenched teeth  - but any administration would have done the same. I'm very confident that Boris's comment last year about allowing the bodies piling up in preference to the prospect of another lockdown is true. 

However, the caveat throughout the roadmap has always been a gradual phased return to normality with no absolute certainty of reaching the milestones. As I have consistently said - only just over half the nation has received a first jab. We also don't know what resistance the vaccination programme provides over variants and as infection rates increase and spread in the world. new stronger and more virulent variants may still emerge. 

Saying that. I am very confident that come June 21st many restrictions will have been lifted as planned. Beyond that? Who can say what nature has in store? The need for continued prudence, prevention and precautions places an element of this in our own (washed) hands. 

9 minutes ago, Mark 'expert' Lawrenson said:

How has the Indian variant been allowed to get into our country? I’m not up to speed on international travel but I thought the majority of travel abroad is illegal…..have we messed up again on our border controls? 

People coming from red list countries via non red list countries. 

I have a coffee in town every morning and the guy in the cafe had a sore foot yesterday  Today he can't walk and has shooting pains up to his head when he puts his foot down. His foot is also swollen up. He had AZ last week so he's off to A&E. It could be nothing to do with the jab but I think it's wise he goes. I've got to know him over the last few weeks and he's a really nice bloke. I hope I'm worrying over nothing 

17 minutes ago, Mark 'expert' Lawrenson said:

How has the Indian variant been allowed to get into our country? I’m not up to speed on international travel but I thought the majority of travel abroad is illegal…..have we messed up again on our border controls? 

6 minutes ago, Nuneatonfox in Manchester said:

Loads of people came in from India before it went onto the red list. And people sometimes have to travel fro family reasons. 

they should have quarantined at home but given the (stereotypical view of) multi generational households within the s Asian communities, it’s no surprise that it has slowly emerged and spread .....

as others have said, hospitalisations as a consequence is the key here and the authorities should address if this is skewed within a particular community and therefore not a big threat countrywide. 

31 minutes ago, Mark 'expert' Lawrenson said:

19 minutes ago, Nuneatonfox in Manchester said:

That and the floppy haired moron delaying putting them on the red list because he was going to go and visit there. 

• Like 1

I'm still not too concerned at the minute. The story about 15 vaccinated people catching the indian variant in a care home and only 4 people getting ill was a huge positive. Small sample size but very promising.

If I was running the show then I'd also be anxious, the whole country is buzzing for the 21st June. The media telling me that the PM is anxious isn't particularly news.

57 minutes ago, Line-X said:

This thread never fails to amaze me. 

How many times does it need to be said that this is a ****ing global crisis? What is so hard to understand?. Get some perspective, stop thinking solely about yourself and be grateful you aren't living here right now...

14-Mumbaishanties1-indiaink-blog480.jpg.e7ef8166fd7388d591a75f9c00a3a0fa.jpg

I always find this quite a weird point to make, I'm not sure how much merit it has. 

It's quite interesting to see something like this, then in the depression thread, you get tonnes of people posting in there feeling guilty because they don't think their problems or feelings are valid. Which is understandable when they're told that they aren't.

Do only the people born into the most extreme poverty have the right to feel hard done by, or is it okay to feel aggrieved if something is difficult relative to what you're used to?

In a less extreme example, it's similar to people not being allowed to be upset if Leicester throw away a good position because we used to have no money and were crap.