Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Stinkenzo

A list of positives

1 minute ago, ultrafox said:

Even if Man U win tonight, 4th place is still in our hands.

I'll leave it there.

Does in our hands make the rub anymore? 

We can't beat Brighton or Bournemouth how are we going to beat 3 teams in the top 7?

We have more chance of Kasper kicking 100% and scoring a goal in each game.

Reflecting more on it, there really are some quite remarkable parallels to 2012-13.

Manager's first full season after his first summer window.

Strangely enough, 2nd with 17 games to play in both seasons - we'd won 5 on the bounce under Pearson, while obviously a few games earlier than that we'd won 8 on the spin under Rodgers.

Young, naive CB that cost us big time (Keane/Soyuncu). Harsh comparison for Soyuncu this given he's been excellent for 34 games but he's lost his head at the key moment due to inexperience.

Unreliable squad depth - virtually nothing from Kane, Vardy, Lingard, Waghorn etc. when we needed them

Lots of young players - Knockaert (21), Schlupp (20), Marshall (22), James (21), Drinkwater (23), King (24), Keane (20), Moore (20), Schmeichel (25), Waghorn (23) and so on.

Manager who never got too high with the highs, or low with the lows, particularly in the media.

Ultimately, neither side was good enough nor experienced enough to last the course to get promoted/finish in the top four, and both suffered complete and utter disasters towards the end (Watford/Bournemouth).

The difference this time is that the players don't have three months to hurt over the result. They also don't have the experience of Taylor-Fletcher, Hammond, Wasilewski and Phillips coming in to the dressing room when they need it most.

What will be telling is whether they react the same

12 minutes ago, Number 6 said:

In 2016, West Ham at home, a similar capitulation could have happened and cost us the title, but it didn't. :claudio:

That wasn’t a capitulation though. We got cheated by the refs from a ridiculous penalty on Reid by Morgan and then Cresswell put 1 in the top bin. We didn’t give away the 2 goals like we did yesterday.

We also showed fight with 10 men to equalise. It’s chalk and cheese compared with yesterday.

Just now, deanolegend1989 said:

That wasn’t a capitulation though. We got cheated by the refs from a ridiculous penalty on Reid by Morgan and then Cresswell put 1 in the top bin. We didn’t give away the 2 goals like we did yesterday.

We also showed fight with 10 men to equalise. It’s chalk and cheese compared with yesterday.

Not saying they are a direct comparison, that side was incredibly strong mentally. I'm saying there are points in 2015/16 when we could have lost our heads, but didn't. 

Just now, Number 6 said:

Not saying they are a direct comparison, that side was incredibly strong mentally. I'm saying there are points in 2015/16 when we could have lost our heads, but didn't. 

Agreed. We never knew when we were beat. Even away at arsenal, it took 12 men vs 10 men to beat us. It’s sad thinking about it really how good we were 😢

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Winchesterfox said:

We are still 2/1 to finish top 4.  Not impossible odds.  

Suspect this will lengthen slightly when Utd win tonight.

Chelsea have Norwich next which should be a gimmie. Means we need Chelsea to lose to both Man U and Wolves imo, which I think is unlikely. Means some of our rivals will drop points over both the last weeks though. So we'd need to hold off Wolves, which is doable, but could easily see Chelsea getting 4 from the last two which would make it moot.

Maybe, maybe (and yes I may well be clutching at the weakest of straws here) the fact that nobody can be in any doubt what is needed to get over the line will focus minds and resolves, and doubts can be cast aside in the final throes of the season. One can only hope.

On 13/07/2020 at 14:18, ALC Fox said:

It's still in our hands. We beat Sheff Utd and Spurs then it possibly comes down to the final day. We beat Man Utd and we're in the Champions League.

It ain't over till it's over.

A draw might be enough against Manchester Utd if the first part is achieved. Subject to goal difference of course.

• Like 1

Mike Whitlow is U21s manager at Mansfield Town.

This is a positive as I was concerned his jackhammer of a left foot may have been lost to the game.

Keep an eye on Mansfield's current crop for the forthcoming antithesis to these modern day footballing full backs with fancy hair.

• Like 1

On 13/07/2020 at 11:10, FIF said:

Does in our hands make the rub anymore? 

We can't beat Brighton or Bournemouth how are we going to beat 3 teams in the top 7?

We have more chance of Kasper kicking 100% and scoring a goal in each game.

Oh FIF...too much French negatives creeped into your mind..

.Rien,Jamais, backed up with ne and alot of pas....If seems you are inviting Madam Guillotine,to our EOS....

you Need a Bit of the Spirit of Marianne....

And no wasting that life's force,in finding Commiserations in 'french letters'. :P

Edited by fuchsntf

27 minutes ago, fuchsntf said:

Oh FIF...too much French negatives creeped into your mind..

.Rien,Jamais, backed up with ne and alot of pas....If seems you are inviting Madam Guillotine,to our EOS....

you Need a Bit of the Spirit of Marianne....

And no wasting that life's force,in finding Commiserations in 'french letters'. :P

I've never understood a single one of your posts....however, I fully agree. 

• Haha 3

3 minutes ago, gerrytaggart said:

I've never understood a single one of your posts....however, I fully agree. 

Ahh many have to wonder searching  through the desert wastes of hidden knowledge,before

the sands presents them with the first grains  and Oasis of wisdom...:yesyes: