Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
lcfcfoz

How to sleep

• 3 months later...
53 minutes ago, Bellend Sebastian said:

Current spell of insomnia is getting out of hand. Even the tried and tested method of watching BBC4 documentaries isn't doing it for me at the moment.

Time to flag down a passing CBT therapist

May frown on this ... but since I started having seizures at 30 I had the worst insomnia... occasionally 30 mins sleep and that’s it at times. I now use cannabis and get it from a trusted friend. It’s better than zopiclone. 

1 hour ago, casablancas said:

May frown on this ... but since I started having seizures at 30 I had the worst insomnia... occasionally 30 mins sleep and that’s it at times. I now use cannabis and get it from a trusted friend. It’s better than zopiclone. 

No judgement from me, pal. Not done it for years, but could be tempted.

Just realised this thread isn't in general chat, ha. What happened to the old insomnia thread that used to be there?

Perhaps it was keeping people awake

3 hours ago, Bellend Sebastian said:

Current spell of insomnia is getting out of hand. Even the tried and tested method of watching BBC4 documentaries isn't doing it for me at the moment.

Time to flag down a passing CBT therapist

Listen to podcasts, always helps me, watching anything is too stimulating even bbc 4 documentaries. Shutting your eyes and listening so much better than having a tv on.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, danny. said:

I always find Mr Sealey quit helpful 

4 minutes ago, Captain... said:

Listen to podcasts, always helps me, watching anything is too stimulating even bbc 4 documentaries. Shutting your eyes and listening so much better than having a tv on.

I did try a different sleep podcast last night, and they are fine when I go to bed, but I don't really have trouble going to sleep then anyway - usually can fall asleep in literally 10 seconds.

The problem is, usually 4-5 hours later waking with a million things going round my head and basically not being remotely relaxed. It's a completely different feeling to how I am when actually going to bed. The telly usually works as it's about the right level of stimulus to distract me, but last night the thoughts kept coming back as I was starting to drop off, so it didn't help. The podcast certainly got me to relax a bit, but ultimately my mind kept wandering away again. I think the thing to try next is a podcast I'm actually interested in

1 hour ago, Bellend Sebastian said:

No judgement from me, pal. Not done it for years, but could be tempted.

Just realised this thread isn't in general chat, ha. What happened to the old insomnia thread that used to be there?

Perhaps it was keeping people awake

Haha. Yeah I used to peruse that. Funny thing is before my epilepsy I was dead against cannabis. Now I use nightly gets a good 5-7 unbroken hours now. 

3 minutes ago, Bellend Sebastian said:

I did try a different sleep podcast last night, and they are fine when I go to bed, but I don't really have trouble going to sleep then anyway - usually can fall asleep in literally 10 seconds.

The problem is, usually 4-5 hours later waking with a million things going round my head and basically not being remotely relaxed. It's a completely different feeling to how I am when actually going to bed. The telly usually works as it's about the right level of stimulus to distract me, but last night the thoughts kept coming back as I was starting to drop off, so it didn't help. The podcast certainly got me to relax a bit, but ultimately my mind kept wandering away again. I think the thing to try next is a podcast I'm actually interested in

I have been listening to podcasts in bed for years, although I'm not a light sleeper or struggle really I just find it relaxing and a good opportunity to learn. I'm quite into podcasts/documentaries about mysteries, science, space etc 

5 hours ago, casablancas said:

Have you tried CBD oil?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Bellend Sebastian said:

I didn't mean a specific sleep podcast, any will do, I normally listen to the guardian football weekly. It's enough to keep my mind wandering without really fully engaging my brain.

3 hours ago, Captain... said:

I didn't mean a specific sleep podcast, any will do, I normally listen to the guardian football weekly. It's enough to keep my mind wandering without really fully engaging my brain.

Yep, my sleep used to be horrendous until I started to listening to podcasts a few years ago. Now I fall asleep listening to one every night, no problem.

Edited by Rain King

1 hour ago, Captain... said:

I'm sure you're right, be it telly or podcast it's got to be the right balance of holding your attention whilst not getting you too excited.

Telly does work for me generally; I'm sure there's been research that says it helps sleep better than reading does. That's why I'm always delighted to find a documentary on the development of the jet engine or 19th century medicine or whatever