Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
UniFox21

2020/21 Under 23's, U19's, Development ... thread

39 minutes ago, Angus Scott said:

Time for Brendan to eat some humble pie & get Gray back in the match day squad. He has as much & more to offer than Barnes, Under or Albrighton

I am not sure it is up to Brendan, I think Vardy refuses to play alongside Gray. Barnes gets his head up and involves Vardy where Gray doesn't 

1 minute ago, FoxinNotts said:

Yeah he looked ok. Didn’t really stand out (unlike Gray, who bossed it tbh), but a steady hour. 

Would you think he’d need a couple more apps at this level before getting on the bench for the first team, or might he be up to 10-15 mins on Thursday?

Edited by Steve Earle
Typo

9 minutes ago, Genesis1 said:

Fair play to Gray for still giving it his all though.

...looked very poor within the game and is easily taken out of the game by a single pass!!

He needs to press and chase back more and you get the feeling all he is waiting for is situation like tonight where he can show his finishing. Does not look like he understands the game and should have been more involved in play and take on more responsibility as a senior. Still looks like and 18 year old and his on field gestures are much the same.

26 minutes ago, Steve Earle said:

Would you think he’d need a couple more apps at this level before getting on the bench for the first team, or might he be up to 10-15 mins on Thursday?

Personally? Yes

Would like to see him play at least one or two more 'reserve' games (possibly 90 mins, but not necessarily).

Edited by NaijaFox
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, Oldblueyes said:

I am not sure it is up to Brendan, I think Vardy refuses to play alongside Gray. Barnes gets his head up and involves Vardy where Gray doesn't 

Eh off the top of my head i can only think of one time barnes has played vardy in so far this season and that's the one leading to the pen against man city, which all in all is pretty poor, cengiz under on the other hand...

3 minutes ago, Steve Earle said:

...just looking at him tonight, it seems more mental as he constantly avoided going to ground or being in a tackle that he could not control!!!

Obviously his touch was off, could not get up to too much speed and struggled in that respect. He needs time in the U23s to get more in his legs and for him to get over the mental aspect of his injury and this may take sometime before he will believe he can be himself without the "what if" thought being foremost in his mind.

Tonight was a big night for him!!!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Steve Earle said:

I think Thursday might be too soon for him. Some more match time in the ressies required, I reckon. Let’s hope he comes through that initial hour, without any adverse reaction

Edited by FoxinNotts
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Oldblueyes said:

Ahh so you are the One who started the rumour...over discontempment between Vardy & Slimani.

This means Its Vardy who is the problem....

It seems we are gearing up to be seeing Gray + Slimani has our Major strike-force.....EOS.Headlines.....Slimani runs Away with FA-cup, not wanting to Share

With teammates....:frantics:

1 hour ago, SecretPro said:

Came in here to find that Gray is the second coming. Just to remind everyone, he's shit. 

To be honest when I see people suggesting he has a role in the squad as much as Albrighton, Under and Barnes I really do despair. Do these people actually watch Leicester?

A decent outing in the U23s compared to 5 years as a nearly man?

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Angus Scott said:

Thank you all for your sarcastic replies, I would expect nothing less. What I am saying is that he is no worse than the 3 people I mentioned.

Albrighton's best days are long gone, he's done us good service but has very limited ability.

Barnes has plenty of ability but goes missing for long periods in a game & although he has been in the team for 2 years still seems as if he is overawed by it all. His finishing is woeful. A very frustrating player.

Not seen enough of Under to really form an opinion yet, but it must be significant that he is only playing a bit part of the subs bench & not starting (remind you of anybody)

Ok it was only the Under 23's tonight but I doubt any of those 3 would have scored those 2 goals Gray did ( perhaps Under, see above)

Chat shit, get banged? :thumbup:

• Haha 1

If gray was as direct as he was for both goals more often he’d get more appearances! Simply doesn’t show his good side consistently to be in the squad. As others have said his understanding of the game appears to hold him back. A shame for the lad but he needs a fresh start somewhere 

I don't mind Gray, he can make an impact from time to time but to consider him better than Barnes or Ünder is pretty laughable. Ünder already has 3 assists from cameos and 2 starts in Europe and Barnes will get 15+ in goals and assists each season. Gray has never really managed anywhere near that as a starter and is more useful in small bursts in certain games but the issue is he wants to leave and we can't even find a place in the squad for Perez who also has scored and assisted more than Gray over the years in the PL, so why waste our time on Gray again?

• Like 3

48 minutes ago, Ric Flair said:

I don't mind Gray, he can make an impact from time to time but to consider him better than Barnes or Ünder is pretty laughable. Ünder already has 3 assists from cameos and 2 starts in Europe and Barnes will get 15+ in goals and assists each season. Gray has never really managed anywhere near that as a starter and is more useful in small bursts in certain games but the issue is he wants to leave and we can't even find a place in the squad for Perez who also has scored and assisted more than Gray over the years in the PL, so why waste our time on Gray again?

Agree largely with this, however, I am surprised he was dropped from the Europa league squad. I feel it was a harsh step too far. now that we have basically secured group qualification, it’s would be an ideal time to play players such as Gray and Perez (through the middle), thus being able to protect the likes of Vardy, Barnes and Under, for the Congested premier league schedule.

Edited by FoxinNotts

2 minutes ago, FoxinNotts said:

Agree largely with this, however, I am surprised he was dropped from the Europa league squad. I feel it was a harsh step too far. now that we have basically secured group qualification, it’s would be an ideal time to play players such as Gray and Perez (through the middle), thus being able to protect the likes of Vardy, Barnes and Under, for the Congested premier league schedule.

Unfortunately for Gray, we can only name a maximum of 21 non-club trained players, 3 of these are goalkeepers.

He is not currently in our best 18 outfield players, therefore could not be named in the squad.

9 hours ago, FoxinNotts said:

I think Thursday might be too soon for him. Some more match time in the ressies required, I reckon. Let’s hope he comes through that initial hour, without any adverse reaction

I think Ricci could well be on the plane to Portugal. With such a large Subs bench allowed for the Europa, I think it's quite likely that Brendan will want him there, if only to give a confidence boost. A trip home will also help him and his knowledge of Braga could be very useful. I doubt he'd come on though, except in very extenuating circumstances. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, FoxinNotts said:

But our EL squad was even stricter in terms of numbers of outfield over 21 players than the PL squad, who would you have left out for Gray? There's an argument Ndidi's inclusion was pretty pointless but very little room to work with.

15 hours ago, TamworthFoxes said:

Very good of him to perform against West Ham kids while picking up 50k a week!

We really are indebted to the lad.

I think it's 55k! But I get your point, my point however was we've seen it time and time again in the football world where footballers act in a certain way, refusing to play in the u21s, skipping training to either force a move or get back into the team. Terrible for sure but I say fair play considering he didn't make the Europa league numbers at all and even Slimani made the bench and team over him.