Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
UniFox21

2020/21 Under 23's, U19's, Development ... thread

17 minutes ago, Ric Flair said:

Mystifying how an England youth International in Will Alves who seems to be the jewel in the academy crown fromnthe younger age groups isn't getting a gig for the U18's much. No doubt his tricks and skill are frowned upon in games.

He has just turned 16 and from some of the footage I’ve seen in matches he’s played in he is going to be a massively exciting talent. No pressure Will!

• Thanks 1

Full Time: Leicester City 5-1 Aston Villa

Will Russ - 22'

Zach Booth - 43'

Own Goal - 46'

Brandon Cover - 69', 89'

Just our 3rd win of the season, but we can no longer finish bottom! We could finish the season in 11th if Southampton beat Reading in their final game and we win both of our last 2 games.

Our 2 games left this season are both at home - West Ham (10th) on Saturday 8th May, and Spurs (4th) on Saturday 15th May

image.png.96e656de92bda93a19a779760b945ea9.png

Edited by moore_94

31 minutes ago, Ric Flair said:

Mystifying how an England youth International in Will Alves who seems to be the jewel in the academy crown fromnthe younger age groups isn't getting a gig for the U18's much. No doubt his tricks and skill are frowned upon in games.

Same problem as with Sidney potentially 

• Sad 3

19 hours ago, UniFox21 said:

Rudkin was absolutely slated for years by fans, he's earnt respect by being a pretty damn good DoF. Hence, much of the blame falls onto Beaglehole, even though many assume Rudkin being in his position has allowed beaglehole to remain in charge.

Edit: one point comes to mind when during a lap of appreciation, Rudkin was booed by fans, to now where he is lauded for his role in what our recruitment has become. 

You are right about the change in appreciation for Rudkin.....but there is no doubt that Rudkin has protected Beaglehole in his position for years and even now continues to protect him.....how else would Beaglehole have remained in charge for so long in view of the quality of football he teaches our U23s to play?

My view of Rudkin has changed 180 degrees in the past few years and he is now delivering results i thought were way beyond him.......but his protection of Beaglehole (& Peake) for too long has been to his detrement and the detrement of some talented footballers whose talents were stifled by Beagleball.

• Like 2

Just now, Foxy-Lady said:

You are right about the change in appreciation for Rudkin.....but there is no doubt that Rudkin has protected Beaglehole in his position for years and even now continues to protect him.....how else would Beaglehole have remained in charge for so long in view of the quality of football he teaches our U23s to play?

My view of Rudkin has changed 180 degrees in the past few years and he is now delivering results i thought were way beyond him.......but his protection of Beaglehole (& Peake) for too long has been to his detrement and the detrement of some talented footballers whose talents were stifled by Beagleball.

Fully agree with you, his position of power has allowed coaches who may have been moved on or had their role reduced, to stay where they are. I really hope this summer see's a set of fresh experienced eyes come in to manage our youth set up. In the next few years we need to be getting exceptional coaches in. Look at Chelsea, their former youth team coach is our manager. We need to be aiming to have lower league clubs knocking on our door to take our coaches as their manager due to how good they are.

20 hours ago, Incognito said:

A lot of blame being put Beaglehole's way by the family member, rightly or wrongly...

Conversely, speaks very warmly of Rudkin.

Beaglehole & Dempsey was a clash of egos that was never going to work. 

Difficult to know where the blame lies on that one.......but players dont get released without Rudkins approval as they are seen as potential assets first and foremost

Our current head of the academy since 2016 is Ian Cawley - who was formerly the head of academy education at the club. 

Now maybe I have the wrong end of the stick and he’s brilliant at his job - but a premier league club with European ambitions and a £100m+ state of the art training ground should perhaps have an academy manager with a stronger track record.

It’d almost be like having a very talented England squad and putting somebody under qualified in charge...

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Stadt said:

Our current head of the academy since 2016 is Ian Cawley - who was formerly the head of academy education at the club. 

Now maybe I have the wrong end of the stick and he’s brilliant at his job - but a premier league club with European ambitions and a £100m+ state of the art training ground should perhaps have an academy manager with a stronger track record.

It’d almost be like having a very talented England squad and putting somebody under qualified in charge...

You are absolutely right!

He has an exceptional background in education and admin which is why he was brought in as Head of Education to support our schooling programme when we achieved PL Cat 1 status as that is a pre-requisite.....but he knows nothing about football by his own admission.

It was astonishing for many when he was promoted to the football side of things.....but he is a Rudkin devotee and very loyal to JR so the assumption is it was a way of Rudkin retaining his control of the Academy "indirectly" by putting "one of his own" in charge.

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, Stadt said:

Depends what his role is. If it's managing the Academy re organisation, administration, education, player welfare, community interaction etc then he doesn't necessarily need to be a football coach just to have and understanding and affinity to the coaching job.

Then he needs to be first and foremost a good communicator and  manager. As long as there are great coaches his role could be down to being a facilitator so that the coaches can concentrate on coaching and not distracted by all those other things I've mentioned..

• Like 2

The way the academy is ran is likely to be the thing that Rodgers clashes with the club over. Removing people from their position where the waters can be muddied over how you measure and quantify success is why the likes of Beaglehole remain and why many of the academy players are disillusioned. 

I'll be watching with interest if Rodgers is still here in a year or two and there hasn't been much change....

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Stadt said:

Ay, perhaps we can pinch the best kids from other academies by offering them and their siblings private top class tuition. We'll have doctors and scientists turning out for our team in no time, I spot a niche in the market here.

• Haha 1

13 minutes ago, davieG said:

Depends what his role is. If it's managing the Academy re organisation, administration, education, player welfare, community interaction etc then he doesn't necessarily need to be a football coach just to have and understanding and affinity to the coaching job.

Then he needs to be first and foremost a good communicator and  manager. As long as there are great coaches his role could be down to being a facilitator so that the coaches can concentrate on coaching and not distracted by all those other things I've mentioned..

I agree if that’s his remit, but the senior most academy position should in all likelihood be more football orientated than that. Why promote Cawley only for him to do the same or a very similar role.

Admittedly, I know next to nothing about him but I very much doubt this sort of thing would have occurred at most clubs, especially not at one with our level of ambition.

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, Stadt said:

I agree if that’s his remit, but the senior most academy position should in all likelihood be more football orientated than that. Why promote Cawley only for him to do the same or a very similar role.

Admittedly, I know next to nothing about him but I very much doubt this sort of thing would have occurred at most clubs, especially not at one with our level of ambition.

Well I've seen so many businesses promote their most skilled assets into management roles that are totally alien to them and they lose the benefit of their skills mostly just to give them a pay rise.

Coaches need to be 100% focussed on coaching if they're bogged down by administrative roles and solving related problems then their talents are wasted.

We obviously don't know this guys Job Description but I think it's wrong to assume he's not capable of doing whatever he's doing. If players are not being developed properly then we've either got crap coaches, they're being told to coach them the wrong way or they're not 100% on the role.

I'd imagine it's Rudkin who appoints the coaches and is responsible for laying down the blueprint of our coaching style..

4 minutes ago, davieG said:

Well I've seen so many businesses promote their most skilled assets into management roles that are totally alien to them and they lose the benefit of their skills mostly just to give them a pay rise.

Coaches need to be 100% focussed on coaching if they're bogged down by administrative roles and solving related problems then their talents are wasted.

We obviously don't know this guys Job Description but I think it's wrong to assume he's not capable of doing whatever he's doing. If players are not being developed properly then we've either got crap coaches, they're being told to coach them the wrong way or they're not 100% on the role.

I'd imagine it's Rudkin who appoints the coaches and is responsible for laying down the blueprint of our coaching style..

He doesnt.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, davieG said:

Fully agree with the fist point you make and i don't think its been suggested that from an education and admin perspective he is incapable or not doing a good job.

The point of this discussion is that there are NOT great coaches doing a great job at U23s level downwards and if you are the Academy Manager but don't have a background or great knowledge of football, how would you recognise where the fault lies and how would you identify what is required to fix that?

"If players are not being developed properly then we've either got crap coaches, they're being told to coach them the wrong way or they're not 100% on the role".

Who would you suggest is responsible for identifying and solving the issues you quote above if not the Academy Manager (ie Ian Crawley) as im pretty sure Beaglehole isnt going to fire himself?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Foxy-Lady said:

Fully agree with the fist point you make and i don't think its been suggested that from an education and admin perspective he is incapable or not doing a good job.

The point of this discussion is that there are NOT great coaches doing a great job at U23s level downwards and if you are the Academy Manager but don't have a background or great knowledge of football, how would you recognise where the fault lies and how would you identify what is required to fix that?

"If players are not being developed properly then we've either got crap coaches, they're being told to coach them the wrong way or they're not 100% on the role".

Who would you suggest is responsible for identifying and solving the issues you quote above if not the Academy Manager (ie Ian Crawley) as im pretty sure Beaglehole isnt going to fire himself?

Well again it depends if he's just 'Managing' the Academy as I described then I think it's down to Rudkin hopefully with input from Rodgers or whoever is the Manager to recruit the coaches, lay down the blue print and monitor the progress/success of the coaching.

All I can do is use myself as an example I managed a Product Development Team of Software, Electronic and Mechanical Engineers, my role was to manage and facilitate on behalf of those engineers who were way more qualified than me and earned way more than me because the business didn't want to lose any of their development skills and if I say so myself I was better than they were at managing, logistics, buying, managing all the admin, co-ordinating with other departments and facilitating on any problems they had.

The Director was responsible for recruiting the Engineers. I had no problem with them earning more as their skills were harder to recruit and were then not wasted. It worked very well.

PS. I'm not saying this is the case I'm just pointing out that dependent on responsibilities his position is not necessarily the reason for any perceived failing with the Academy.

Anyway if there are then for me the buck stops with Rudkin.

5 hours ago, Lambert09 said:

Is this you moving on from Tavares? The sheets aren’t even cold yet 

Hahahahahaaa I bring them through in to the limelight, they pay me a finders fee and then I move on to the next one. How else do you think I pay for all this Flair I bring?

• Haha 2

On 02/05/2021 at 13:56, The People's Hero said:

I don't think there is much doubt it needs a massive revamp; I just wonder when we'll see it. Hopefully this summer.

Sorry forgot I posted.

I'm not sure people can really grasp how bad it is tbh! 

I'm a life long lcfc fan and the club is a massive part of my life and I'm shocked at how poor it is. We travel around the country most weeks as they have the same programme as the first team and lcfc are put to shame by most other clubs! Wolves,Forest,Birmingham plus more in Midlands are so far ahead.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1