Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
UniFox21

2020/21 Under 23's, U19's, Development ... thread

On 05/05/2021 at 10:46, Stadt said:

Our current head of the academy since 2016 is Ian Cawley - who was formerly the head of academy education at the club. 

Now maybe I have the wrong end of the stick and he’s brilliant at his job - but a premier league club with European ambitions and a £100m+ state of the art training ground should perhaps have an academy manager with a stronger track record.

It’d almost be like having a very talented England squad and putting somebody under qualified in charge...

He's shocking!

• Haha 1

16 hours ago, happy85 said:

Who this chap training with 1st team ?

EC0F42D0-CD1E-4CCC-8908-C405628FD2B4.png

There was a few under 18s missing from the match squad on Tuesday who look like they may be training with the first team as Sammy Braybrooke is also in the gallery photos

The other 2 missing were Marcel-Madivadua and Maswanhise so could be them

Edited by moore_94
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Thefoxman said:

Hi, sorry for delay.

First there's coaches there that have been there so long that they don't give a toss. There not interested in actually developing players or coaching them to improve.

They play constant matches in training nothing else with silent coaching, unless you are the top couple of boys and then you get the preferential treatment.

If you make a compliant nothing is done ect. There's so much wrong it would take a week to write but we feel it was a mistake to sign at lcfc and would have been better at Forest,Wolves,Brum,Derby

Thanks for your reply, doesn't sound like things are great there at the moment.

I've seen very little of Tavares in matches but watched the fairly lengthy highlights of last night and I was highly impressed by him - the way he carried the ball so swiftly and positively out of defence, and the accuracy of his passing (often hit on the run with seemingly little deliberation).  I hope he does sign a renewed contract at the end of the season.

10 hours ago, deep blue said:

I've seen very little of Tavares in matches but watched the fairly lengthy highlights of last night and I was highly impressed by him - the way he carried the ball so swiftly and positively out of defence, and the accuracy of his passing (often hit on the run with seemingly little deliberation).  I hope he does sign a renewed contract at the end of the season.

He's got a lot of ability, I just hope he has the mental determination needed to fulfill that. I'm confident he'll stay and Rodgers will get him there.

22 hours ago, Thefoxman said:

Hi, sorry for delay.

First there's coaches there that have been there so long that they don't give a toss. There not interested in actually developing players or coaching them to improve.

They play constant matches in training nothing else with silent coaching, unless you are the top couple of boys and then you get the preferential treatment.

If you make a compliant nothing is done ect. There's so much wrong it would take a week to write but we feel it was a mistake to sign at lcfc and would have been better at Forest,Wolves,Brum,Derby

I am not surprised to read of your experience but i would add a couple of comments...

Absolutely right about the coaches....they are in a very privileged position at one of Europe's leading clubs but their "job for life" mindset is to the detrement of the club and the potential of young players

It will always be the case that the exceptional 2/3 players in each group will receive preferential treatment, and I don't think this is specific to LCFC as im sure this happens at almost every club.

There are some "big time" parents at football academies who fail to understand this until it is too late and while it is wrong, it is sadly the way it is. The important thing is to recognise this from the outset and enjoy the experience and privilege it brings as the vast majority who convince themselves that their son is on the way to fame and fortune are in a for a very hard and painful fall... 

However, you are definitely right about complaints being disregarded....unless you are one of the preferential players.  The mindset of Academies is that those who complain are troublemakers (unless you are a preferential player!) and their kids future opportunities will suffer as a result..... yet if you don't highlight issues, their kids will continue to suffer unfairly.

Its a bit of a no-win situation but that is the reality of Academy football where coaches treat other peoples kids in a way they would feel unacceptable if it were their own kids being treated in the same way.

Im not entirely convinced your experience would be any different at Forest, Wolves or Derby as i think its an endemic way of working that seems to be acceptable in football but would definitely NOT be acceptable in any other walk of life.  Its absolutely wrong....but sadly that's just the way it is and i doubt its ever going to change because of the closed mindsets of people who work in Academy football.

(ps Ironically, it is the coaches who have left after becoming disillusioned that always offer the best insight.....and they nearly always paint the same picture!)

• Like 2

52 minutes ago, Foxy-Lady said:

I am not surprised to read of your experience but i would add a couple of comments...

Absolutely right about the coaches....they are in a very privileged position at one of Europe's leading clubs but their "job for life" mindset is to the detrement of the club and the potential of young players

It will always be the case that the exceptional 2/3 players in each group will receive preferential treatment, and I don't think this is specific to LCFC as im sure this happens at almost every club.

There are some "big time" parents at football academies who fail to understand this until it is too late and while it is wrong, it is sadly the way it is. The important thing is to recognise this from the outset and enjoy the experience and privilege it brings as the vast majority who convince themselves that their son is on the way to fame and fortune are in a for a very hard and painful fall... 

However, you are definitely right about complaints being disregarded....unless you are one of the preferential players.  The mindset of Academies is that those who complain are troublemakers (unless you are a preferential player!) and their kids future opportunities will suffer as a result..... yet if you don't highlight issues, their kids will continue to suffer unfairly.

Its a bit of a no-win situation but that is the reality of Academy football where coaches treat other peoples kids in a way they would feel unacceptable if it were their own kids being treated in the same way.

Im not entirely convinced your experience would be any different at Forest, Wolves or Derby as i think its an endemic way of working that seems to be acceptable in football but would definitely NOT be acceptable in any other walk of life.  Its absolutely wrong....but sadly that's just the way it is and i doubt its ever going to change because of the closed mindsets of people who work in Academy football.

(ps Ironically, it is the coaches who have left after becoming disillusioned that always offer the best insight.....and they nearly always paint the same picture!)

Some lovely stuff in here! :worship::appl:

I am not suggesting that the decision makers at LCFC have an easy job however! 

Its an elite environment! However does employment law take this into consideration? So now we are talking payoffs to incompetent staff...

Also how can you attribute blame when apparent failure occurs?  There are literally endless possibilities as to why a wonderkid talent at 9 might not be the player they could be at 21.

This doesn't excuse incompetence, or even worse apathy towards the job of development, but if you can not attribute blame to recruiters, coaches, or heaven forbid the "suits" and their systems they have signed off... how do you make it elite? 

Also whilst I'm going on... If you have a good position, and you hire a dud staff member who apparently ticks all the boxes, you cant get rid because then questions will be asked of you! & what staff member wants that, in an environment where you cant quantify ability, other than some historic goodwill, a badge or they have worked at this big club and have contacts, so must be good right? Wrong! Sadly that is people, and protecting their own positions, that is understandable, but its a problem that you introduce with the wrong people in the jobs. 

Under 18s have just kicked off at home against West Ham

1. Doherty, 2. Kutshienza, 3. Dawkins, 4. Cover, 5. Godsmark-Ford, 6. Cook, 7. Cartwright, 8. Ewing(c), 9. Russ, 10. T. Pennant, 11. K. Pennant

Bench: 13. Chibueze (GK), 12. Popov, 14. Fitzhugh, 15. Butterfill, 16. Lewis

Few players missing from the squad after the 5-1 win against Aston Villa; Odunze, Booth, and Solomon

22 minutes ago, moore_94 said:

Under 18s have just kicked off at home against West Ham

1. Doherty, 2. Kutshienza, 3. Dawkins, 4. Cover, 5. Godsmark-Ford, 6. Cook, 7. Cartwright, 8. Ewing(c), 9. Russ, 10. T. Pennant, 11. K. Pennant

Bench: 13. Chibueze (GK), 12. Popov, 14. Fitzhugh, 15. Butterfill, 16. Lewis

Few players missing from the squad after the 5-1 win against Aston Villa; Odunze, Booth, and Solomon

Popov is a winger, unbelievable scenes

4 minutes ago, Ric Flair said:

Brandon Cover was a striker/winger until he has come in to the U18's and now they play him in defence at times hahahahaa

Not quite sure where he is playing! Premier League site suggests he is playing in midfield today

But like against Aston Villa, Zach Booth a centre mid was seemingly playing at left back!

https://www.premierleague.com/match/61916/u18-premier-league/2020-21/leicester-v-west-ham

Edited by moore_94
  • Like 1

Full Time: Leicester City U18s 1-1 West Ham U18s

Will Russ - 7'

Freddie Cook Red Card - 40'

With us being unable to get a win today, it means we will finish the season in 12th.

Final game of the season on Friday 14th May at home against Spurs, kick off at 1pm

image.png.c39fd467e34c02457e34106a6540f578.png

As if there wasn’t enough to worry about this week. Our U23’s are getting relegated tonight... so that’ll be fun to watch... oh wait no, we’re not allowed to watch anymore because we’re too critical... 

19 minutes ago, AjcW said:

As if there wasn’t enough to worry about this week. Our U23’s are getting relegated tonight... so that’ll be fun to watch... oh wait no, we’re not allowed to watch anymore because we’re too critical... 

....is that really the reason for no longer showing the games!!!

So it is our fault that they are going down, it just goes to prove we were right....the lack of technical ability compared to 18 year olds from other academies is a chasm. There was a period where we attempted to change the way we played, with the ball on the ground and trying to pass around and develop our game. It didn't last too long, so I suspect Rodgers wishes did not carry the necessary weight, and it has led to this.

This is now the moment where we completely overhaul the whole setup, as a team, unable to compete in this category, is the end result of our developments approach. 

• Thanks 1