Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
StanSP

Mendy

2 minutes ago, hejammy said:

I and everyone around me we're genuinely shocked when he subbed him today. We all called the wingers coming on but I do believe taking Mendy off cost us the chance of getting anything from the game. Soumare is a joke of player. But looking back on it now, I don't know why we were all surprised. BR has done it time and time again 

Spot-on 👍 

Just dreadful again 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Fox92 said:

He has had good games since Spurs and then either doesn’t play or gets taken off. Was doing okay again today. Stupid subs yet again.

It's no surprise though is it?  We can all predict most of Rodgers' subs. Both when and who will get hooked.  All part of his cretinous stewardship.

Mendy was one of the best players on the pitch. Wanted the ball, got stuck in, kept the ball moving. Replaced by a lump that wasn’t doing any of those things. 

He has been a shining light this season, his attitude is spot on, even though he’s been treated so poorly.

• Like 4

Any chance of getting back into the match went when he took Mendy off. He was playing really well. You could hear the collective groan around the ground when everyone realised he was being replaced.

• 4 weeks later...
1 minute ago, moore_94 said:

Wilf cost us the goal in the end but Mendy really annoys me when he messes around with it on the edge of our own box and loses it

There was nothing on. Just a hood back to their player. I thought him and Ndidi in midfield battled well. 

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 15/05/2023 at 00:52, South Shire Fox said:

Wonder if the reason he hasnt been playing or in the squad has anything to do with Shakespeares influence? Shakespeare clearly didnt rate him when he was here last time and sent him out on loan

Could have a lot to do with it. And Ndidi has been picked.

Sadler and Stowell also not a fan obviously - they started Ndidi during the two games they were in charge of and lost.

Mendy is the sort of player you can appreciate his quality more if you are playing full pitch 11-11. Not sure how often they do that and if they do how seriously.  Unfortunately, because he was not in the team just before Deano came in, unless Deano goes back to watch tapes of games Mendy played in (or didn’t played in more often than not), it is hard for him to pick out Mendy.

A bit different to Nacho, who was also not appreciated by Sadler and Stowell, he must have been able to at least show his goal scoring and assist instincts in training - he is much easier to appreciate (though doesn’t explain why Brendan didn’t use him).

I think the reason is his size and profile, by bringing in Mendy, whilst he is steady and solid you do lose a significant physical presence when it comes to set piece defending and given our weaknesses this season, I think this is clouding some of the decision making.

He's going to leave this summer and it will be a great shame. He's the kind of player we'll need Championship and probably could have been persuaded to stay had we not chronically underused him during his time with us. Frustrating.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Tom12345 said:

Mendy is the sort of player you can appreciate his quality more if you are playing full pitch 11-11. Not sure how often they do that and if they do how seriously.  Unfortunately, because he was not in the team just before Deano came in, unless Deano goes back to watch tapes of games Mendy played in (or didn’t played in more often than not), it is hard for him to pick out Mendy.

...I  just think it comes down to his height!!!

Our myopic coaching team seems to believe that we need the height in the middle of the park and at set pieces. Never mind any defensive quality he may bring or reading of the game. 

Persisting with Wilf going forward and supporting our attack is foolhardy. He is out of his depth in those situations and one misplaced pass while we have pushed so far forward, leaves us wide open.

For the CB who like to go forward (Faes or Soyuncu) let them transition the ball and Wilf drops into the back line. That way, better ball players are further forward and we are not compromised at the back.