Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
StanSP

Mendy

I often don’t go with the narrative that this or that player has “been badly treated” by the manager - or the club. Mendy, though, would have a big claim for this to be the case.

It wasn’t so long ago that he was left out of the squad completely. Yet he always seems to do ok when called upon. Yes, it’s true he’s often steady, rather than spectacular, but you know what you’ll get from him (and it’s usually a 6 or 7/10). 

…. or maybe we don’t know what we can get from him. His performance against Spurs suggested his ceiling might be higher than 1st thought 

• Like 2

35 minutes ago, Wolfox said:

He’s very likeable isn’t he?

Fully agree 

He speaks really well in interviews, and comes across as a good professional - others on his place, being left out of the PL squad last season, would have complained. He's always done well when asked to do so. His performances for Senegal were excellent too. Hugely underrated. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, TK95 said:

Not a single mention on MOTD of how brilliant he was

1 hour ago, Mark 'expert' Lawrenson said:

And yet MOTD analysts never even mentioned (or at least showed) the Mendy goal and yet it was such a pivotal part of the game and an amazing finish 

Surely you can't still be surprised by this. Its been poor for a long time. 

• Like 1

Really pleased for him yesterday. If he could have done that more consistently he'd have been the Kante replacement (not like for like, but still...) we all wanted.

For me it should be a fond farewell this season as after 7 years he needs to start playing every week and would still be one of the best players in the French league or the Championship, but if he's willing to sign one year rolling contracts to be perpetual backup here then I wouldn't be too mad. 

1 hour ago, Jobyfox said:

I often don’t go with the narrative that this or that player has “been badly treated” by the manager - or the club. Mendy, though, would have a big claim for this to be the case.

It wasn’t so long ago that he was left out of the squad completely. Yet he always seems to do ok when called upon. Yes, it’s true he’s often steady, rather than spectacular, but you know what you’ll get from him (and it’s usually a 6 or 7/10). 

…. or maybe we don’t know what we can get from him. His performance against Spurs suggested his ceiling might be higher than 1st thought 

He had a good spell playing alongside Tielemans as a 2, but he needs creative players round him. He's not strong/fast enough to be the 1 man screen and playing in a double pivot with Ndidi we have zero creativity and drive. I'm not surprised he looked good in a 3 with KDH providing energy and drive and Madison providing the guile and creativity. He's a tidy player and one I would be happy to keep in the squad but I'm hoping Soumare can become that defensive minded one in a 3 as he has the potential to be a great player but only if used correctly.

A player that helps contribute to the balance of the team allowing other central midfielders/Maddison to crack on further forward. Keeps it simple and gets us going, every team needs one! Rodri casimero fabhino partey all do similar for their clubs, only difference is Mendy lacks the height that makes them aerially better. 

6 minutes ago, Lesta2014 said:

A player that helps contribute to the balance of the team allowing other central midfielders/Maddison to crack on further forward. Keeps it simple and gets us going, every team needs one! Rodri casimero fabhino partey all do similar for their clubs, only difference is Mendy lacks the height that makes them aerially better. 

He had a very good game yesterday and I’m thrilled with Papy and for Papy. I still can’t get over his goal and a few of the tackles he made on the left flank. 

But he’s nothing like any of those players, unfortunately. 

Mendy vs. Casemiro and Partey, for example:

C41A2943-3B4E-4BD0-A23F-532E31C7C03B.jpeg

47D31D0C-BC13-4CFE-82B6-7B64005C7732.png

67AB18F5-FB27-47DA-BA39-A3F9B39AAF7B.jpeg

• Like 1