Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Wymsey

US Presidential Election 2020

7 minutes ago, WigstonWanderer said:

So how did it go? I hid behind the sofa.

Biden struggled to speak coherently, because he has a stutter. Some will see it as a sign of dementia.

Trump basically lied and interrupted so often, the Fox News moderator had to shout over him to try and regain control.

All in all, it's the worst debate I have ever watched. Can't wait to do it again next week lol

• Thanks 2
  • Haha 2

15 minutes ago, Detroit Blues said:

Biden struggled to speak coherently, because he has a stutter. Some will see it as a sign of dementia.

Trump basically lied and interrupted so often, the Fox News moderator had to shout over him to try and regain control.

All in all, it's the worst debate I have ever watched. Can't wait to do it again next week lol

The bits I saw were as you say. Just watching the Aussie analysis, and they seem to be saying there was little damage to Biden, so I’ll take that. Trump is fundamentally a bully, so this sort of debate plays to his strengths. Biden probably needs to rise above it somehow and try to put forward more inclusive future.

Edit: Yes I get what you’re saying about Biden having to control a stutter. I keep forgetting about that.

Edited by WigstonWanderer

5 hours ago, HoustonFox said:

He’s not weak, he’s just a nice guy who is trying not to descend to the lowest common denominator. He’s getting on some good licks now and starting to fight back. Part of the tactic is to let trump just eff it up by talking.. and talking and taking... 

That's incredibly generous.  He did liven up eventually and there were times where seemed to deliberately let Trump dig, but for most of the session he was just way too slow at coming up with good comebacks if he even did at all, and he kept dithering over his words allowing himself to be easily disrupted by his opponent's childish antics (normally you're right that would be an own goal on his opponent's behalf but not so with this cult).  For instance he let Trump assert unchallenged that there were no negative outcomes from people attending his rallies in the middle of a pandemic, all he had to do was bring up Herman Cain for the easiest of slam dunks.

Edited by Carl the Llama

6 hours ago, leicsmac said:

What an unbelievable mess.

But there was nothing in there that hurt Biden enough to shift poll figures drastically, so it's as you were.

Pretty much.

The two camps are too deeply entrenched for these debates to meaningfully change anything.

What a shit-show though. 

Edited by That_Dude

8 hours ago, leicsmac said:

What an unbelievable mess.

But there was nothing in there that hurt Biden enough to shift poll figures drastically, so it's as you were.

Poll figures don’t need to shift drastically. You need a percent or two of undecideds to go Trump, a percent or so of Biden’s vote to switch to a third party and a percent or two to decide they can’t be arsed to go out and vote for him. You just need that in the battlegrounds and we have four more years of Trump ‘leading’ the western world. It’s disturbingly plausible.

21 minutes ago, Mark_w said:

Poll figures don’t need to shift drastically. You need a percent or two of undecideds to go Trump, a percent or so of Biden’s vote to switch to a third party and a percent or two to decide they can’t be arsed to go out and vote for him. You just need that in the battlegrounds and we have four more years of Trump ‘leading’ the western world. It’s disturbingly plausible.

True enough. However, you need that 3-4% shift (sometimes as much as 6% if we're factoring in people staying home/voting third party rather than switching Biden for Trump) and you need that across five separate battleground states simultaneously.

I mean, it's certainly plausible and it is disturbing. However, I honestlydon't think the debate is going to stoke that much fire.

5 hours ago, Carl the Llama said:

That's incredibly generous.  He did liven up eventually and there were times where seemed to deliberately let Trump dig, but for most of the session he was just way too slow at coming up with good comebacks if he even did at all, and he kept dithering over his words allowing himself to be easily disrupted by his opponent's childish antics (normally you're right that would be an own goal on his opponent's behalf but not so with this cult).  For instance he let Trump assert unchallenged that there were no negative outcomes from people attending his rallies in the middle of a pandemic, all he had to do was bring up Herman Cain for the easiest of slam dunks.

What was he supposed to do? Roundhouse kick trump in the face or tell him to shut the **** up? He was trying to prove that he wouldn’t descend to trump’s level and he did that and I wouldn’t say he came across as spineless at all. He also proved he was able to fight back as needed - he called him a clown, a liar and worst president ever... to his face. Also as others have pointed out, he has a stutter that he needs to overcome. 

trump dug his own hole last night and slithered into it. He didn’t denounce racist groups and in fact told them to “standby”. Joe pointed out it specifically referred to proud boys and called it out. trump also dishonoured and disrespected Joe’s son who did while in the military. Don’t think that didn’t go unnoticed. 

While I’m sure you wanted him to “slam dunk” that’s not what undecided voters want to see, or what the debates are about. Despite my wife and I screaming at the tv for Joe to talk back, we definitely saw him improve. 

Some analysis I watched and saw after was that the large group of undecideds and that unfortunately swung it trump’s way last time are women and middle states. They don’t want Biden to go toe to toe, they want him to act presidentially. I don’t think he’s the best choice but he’s the choice we have against trump.

Wallace as a moderator was awful too. Despite him being one of the Fox more legitimate journalists he clearly couldn’t or wouldn’t control trump and his antics. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, HoustonFox said:

What was he supposed to do? Roundhouse kick trump in the face or tell him to shut the **** up? He was trying to prove that he wouldn’t descend to trump’s level and he did that and I wouldn’t say he came across as spineless at all. He also proved he was able to fight back as needed - he called him a clown, a liar and worst president ever... to his face. Also as others have pointed out, he has a stutter that he needs to overcome. 

trump dug his own hole last night and slithered into it. He didn’t denounce racist groups and in fact told them to “standby”. Joe pointed out it specifically referred to proud boys and called it out. trump also dishonoured and disrespected Joe’s son who did while in the military. Don’t think that didn’t go unnoticed. 

While I’m sure you wanted him to “slam dunk” that’s not what undecided voters want to see, or what the debates are about. Despite my wife and I screaming at the tv for Joe to talk back, we definitely saw him improve. 

Some analysis I watched and saw after was that the large group of undecideds and that unfortunately swung it trump’s way last time are women and middle states. They don’t want Biden to go toe to toe, they want him to act presidentially. I don’t think he’s the best choice but he’s the choice we have against trump.

Wallace as a moderator was awful too. Despite him being one of the Fox more legitimate journalists he clearly couldn’t or wouldn’t control trump and his antics. 

I didn't realise he has a stutter, that explains some of it for sure.  But I still came out of that thinking he benefited more from his opponent's boneheadedness than his own ability to present himself presidentially.  The moments where he talked to the camera felt awkward more than anything to me.  Definitely improved after I posted that initial comment though, that I won't disagree with.

• Like 3

I watched it last night. Really does make you concerned for humanity when this is apparently what the top country in the world has to offer it's people at the peak of their system. A shady businessman trying to bully some bloke who keeps tangling his words up and generally not being able to stay coherent for more than 5 sentences. Both of them basically just slagging eachother off, vague promises of 'change' and very brief mentions of international policies but nothing intelligently put across to the viewer, just awful really.

It's all just a show really isn't it, might aswell get Vince McMahon to host the next debate.

excellent BBC coverage last night

the host self-flagilating about being a 'white man', aswell as reminding us that its 'two white men' was really insightful stuff

trans, queer and purple hair #2024

Edited by iniesta
add

4 minutes ago, iniesta said:

excellent BBC coverage last night

the host self-flagilating about being a 'white man', aswell as reminding us that its 'two white men' was really insightful stuff

trans, queer and purple hair #2024

What a delightful contribution to this thread, which is actually quite nuanced for Foxestalk and divisive politics.

Can you take your threatened masculinity somewhere else so we can carry on reading adults having a proper conversation? Thanks.

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Footballwipe said:

What a delightful contribution to this thread, which is actually quite nuanced for Foxestalk and divisive politics.

Can you take your threatened masculinity somewhere else so we can carry on reading adults having a proper conversation? Thanks.

how dare you assume my gender, bigot 

13 hours ago, HoustonFox said:

I think that’s being too generous to him. He’s a buffoon who doesn’t know what he’s saying and can’t keep track of the BS he spouts and just makes up s*** as he goes. At least Kante knows what he’s doing. 

He’s not weak, he’s just a nice guy who is trying not to descend to the lowest common denominator. He’s getting on some good licks now and starting to fight back. Part of the tactic is to let trump just eff it up by talking.. and talking and taking... 

That's just it, I think he definitely knows what he's doing. It's been his most effective tactic - if he can't keep track of what he's saying then nobody else can - and when people do pull him up on one thing he's just a belligerent cvnt and calls THEM the liar. The sad thing is, he's brilliant at it and it works for him. The base don't care or worse, love him for it. 

Any single one of his scandals would have been the death knell for any other politician. But the media can't handle him and tragically, his opponents don't know how to either.