Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
SpacedX

Things that you have done that most people probably haven't

35 minutes ago, UpTheLeagueFox said:

You *think* I was there too? It was down to me all this happened you cheeky get! lol

(In the mid 80s my dad got chatting to the guy who looked after away touring teams - it was the same bloke every year, regardless who the tourists were - and he sorted me out each summer with 'graphs and stuff and meeting players in return for carrying some kit here and there. Lovely fella, exchanged xmas cards for many years after.)

I remember the guy who always used to drive the touring teams coach or bus before any clever answers, he reminded me of  Rod Hull 😝 

3 minutes ago, Mark 'expert' Lawrenson said:

I remember the guy who always used to drive the touring teams coach or bus before any clever answers, he reminded me of  Rod Hull 😝 

I think we're talking about the same bloke, Tony Smith.

Was called 'liaison officer' or something, was in charge of baggage/driving as well.

Quickly realised if I gave him a hand with bags I'd get to meet players etc

And then @Izzy rode on my coat tails lol

• Haha 1

Just now, UpTheLeagueFox said:

I think we're talking about the same bloke, Tony Smith.

Was called 'liaison officer' or something, was in charge of baggage/driving as well.

Quickly realised if I gave him a hand with bags I'd get to meet players etc

And then @Izzy rode on my coat tails lol

I think so too, drove the bus all through the late 80’s maybe earlier and beyond.

Nice guy.

2 minutes ago, Mark 'expert' Lawrenson said:

I think so too, drove the bus all through the late 80’s maybe earlier and beyond.

Nice guy.

I've found this on t'internet about an auction of cricket stuff: "Tony Smith was employed as Liaison Officer and Baggage Master for International Test teams touring England between 1972 and 2004. Over the years he was given various items as a 'thank you' for help and services rendered during the various teams stay in England." 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, FoxesDeb said:

Spent time in the changing rooms while Kasper was wearing nothing but his underpants, and taken the piss out of Jamie Vardy for asking me a silly question. Not both at the same time, mind :)

Did you stare at his “area”?

5 hours ago, Alf Bentley said:

Was held up at gunpoint in Panama and robbed of $7, but the robber missed a couple of hundred in traveller's cheques in my bag

A few days later, was an illegal immigrant in Colombia for 3 days (arrived into Guajira desert on a smugglers' boat)

Got arrested, then started a new job later the same day - and it was April Fool's Day

Picked 7 different fruit/veg for a living in 3 different countries

Met my adopted half-brother for the first time at age 52 (he was 59)

[All a long time ago, except the last one]

All this and yet, you've never driven a car!

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Alf Bentley said:

Any revelations?

A family member in Kent knows Topper.

A thoroughly nice, caring bloke, apparently.

No gossip, managed to get backstage after a gig in the 80's at DMH, i was about 18 or 19

• Thanks 2

Was approached in a pub and offered £5 by the London Met to participate in an identity parade, then subsequently got picked out. 

Watched Leicester v Chelsea from the away end at Filbert Street (Pen 1)

Got barred from a local pub and repeatedly and unsuccessfully attempted to gain entry over the following six months in disguise. Secured a temporary job at Greene King as a drayman to finance university and turned up driving a truck with their beer delivery. They had no choice but to let me in. 

Spent an evening drinking whiskey with Lemmy at a bar in London and I picked up the tab.

Spent an evening drinking whiskey with Lemmy at a bar in LA and he picked up the tab.

Played live at the London Hippodrome, The Astoria and the Marquee in the same night.

Gave a jacket to a smack addicted destitute sheltering from a blizzard in a doorway on a freezing London night - only to have him chase me down the street to hand it back on account of the fact that it was cramping his style. 

Seized two motorcycle engines in the space of a day.

Been twatted by Andy Feeley and escaped with only mild concussion. 

Was pursued by a furious David Soul through Covent Garden.

Fended off a pack of wild dogs in Romania with a walking pole...

...oh hang on.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1