Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Chocolate Teapot

Congerton

6 hours ago, Arriba Los Zorros said:

Still can't help feeling our recent signings are due to our excellent scouting, analytics and recruitment team in spite of Congerton rather than due to him, and I'd much rather he wasn't at the club. Cue the sarcastic remarks, not bothered, I've not heard many positive things about him and it's my right to think that even if others don't agree 

Numerous of the signings have been known to be previous Celtic targets.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, The whole world smiles said:

1. How do you know the Silva thing was down to him? Seems to me the rule at the time was anything that went right with transfers was Steve walsh/marcia anything that went wrong was his fault. 

2. I do agree with release clauses but the general feeling is Kante wouldn't have signed without one so for me the only thing worse than loosing kante at less than market value would have been never signing him at all! 

3. What slimani cock up? 

1) He’s in charge of singing players, if the player registration goes wrong, then it’s on him. 

2) That idea is just peddled by people on here with zero evidence of that actually being the case. They are very very rare in this country and we nearly lost two players because of them. Kante wasn’t some household name, we got him for £5m and probably grave him 5x the wages he was on. If you can’t get a player like that without a release clause you are in the wrong job.

3) We let his release clause lapse a month before we signed him for £10m+ more than he would have cost.

Edited by Babylon
  • Like 2

Unless there facts, it’s either a witch hunt or deification. As @SO1 rightly said, recruitment is.a team effort. Sure the buck has to stop somewhere, and that’s at Congerton’s door currently, but right at this moment it really is a case of nothing to see here. Surely is is sensible to base our (snap) judgements on contemporary information and not historic,

If you judge something solely on the past, then let’s must cancel the league and give it to Liverpool or Man Utd :rolleyes:

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Nod.E said:

I could debunk this post with any one of the following words:

Slimani

Musa

Silva

Ghezzal

Gray

Good recruitment is just good recruitment. Good players are good and bad players aren't.

Granted, environment helps, but in the same sense that no amount of back patting was going to make Ghezzal a success, Fofana always was going to be, because he's an exceptional bloody talent.

I'm not saying our recruitment has been bad and those players you listed came to us in 16/17 or 17/18 when there was probably an issue with unrest amongst the players with the likes of Mahrez, Drinkwater all wanting to leave, which has to have unsettled the dressing room. 

Whilst we have obviously signed some very good players, my point is the environment we provide and the dressing room we have allows them to flourish further than at any other club in the world at this level. We therefore don't only recruit well, we allow players to achieve their max potential and be at a club where the environment is good.

Look at Maguire at Man Utd, he looks a shadow of the player he was for us and I think the environment has a lot to do with that. 

1 hour ago, Babylon said:

1) He’s in charge of singing players, if the player registration goes wrong, then it’s on him. 

2) That idea is just peddled by people on here with zero evidence of that actually being the case. They are very very rare in this country and we nearly lost two players because of them. Kante wasn’t some household name, we got him for £5m and probably grave him 5x the wages he was on. If you can’t get a player like that without a release clause you are in the wrong job.

3) We let his release clause lapse a month before we signed him for £10m+ more than he would have cost.

Love it how you talk about zero evidence when something goes against the opinion youve formed!

With respect if evidence is now so important to you, I would love to see a shread of evidence that the Silva deal was Rudkins fault?

Its highly likely that the blame lies at Bruno De Carvalho's door Sportings maverick former president. And yes I do have some evidence/basis for this:

'According to reports in Portuguese publication Correio da Manhã, it was the stubbornness of de Carvalho that caused Silva's transfer to Leicester to be delayed.' 

Here's a link to the article https://www.90min.com/posts/5509745-report-blames-sporting-cp-president-bruno-de-carvalho-for-debacle-over-adrien-silva-s-leicester-move

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, The whole world smiles said:

Love it how you talk about zero evidence when something goes against the opinion youve formed!

With respect if evidence is now so important to you, I would love to see a shread of evidence that the Silva deal was Rudkins fault?

My opinion is formed on a number of facts we know, the rarity of those contracts in this country. Kante's market value, the huge wages we were offering. You don't have to bend the knee to players like that, and his subsequent decision to never allow them again (See John Percy), tells you he knows he messed up.  The opinion that we couldn't have signed him without it is formed off the back of absolutely nothing at all. 

Its highly likely that the blame lies at Bruno De Carvalho's door Sportings maverick former president. And yes I do have some evidence/basis for this:

'According to reports in Portuguese publication Correio da Manhã, it was the stubbornness of de Carvalho that caused Silva's transfer to Leicester to be delayed.' 

Here's a link to the article https://www.90min.com/posts/5509745-report-blames-sporting-cp-president-bruno-de-carvalho-for-debacle-over-adrien-silva-s-leicester-move

If we put the documentation in late, then it's our fault. What more evidence do you need? We're the ones registering him, so it was our choice to submit it at the death. If they are causing problems then don't take the risk, don't sell your player before you have the replacement. Also, there are quotes out there from there end stating it was because we wanted the paperwork on our letterhead. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Babylon said:

My opinion is formed on a number of facts we know, the rarity of those contracts in this country. Kante's market value, the huge wages we were offering. You don't have to bend the knee to players like that, and his subsequent decision to never allow them again (See John Percy), tells you he knows he messed up.  The opinion that we couldn't have signed him without it is formed off the back of absolutely nothing at all. 

If we put the documentation in late, then it's our fault. What more evidence do you need? We're the ones registering him, so it was our choice to submit it at the death. If they are causing problems then don't take the risk, don't sell your player before you have the replacement. Also, there are quotes out there from there end stating it was because we wanted the paperwork on our letterhead. 

“An interview that I hope is mistranslated, because hearing that Adrien is disappointed with me I don’t know whether to laugh or to cry, depending on the state of mind,” he said in his post. 

“So his new club was that the one that delayed for 14 seconds, because they didn’t want to sign our version of the contract, as they wanted to write everything the same but in the paper of their club.

“Then, without having any responsibility, I gave orders to my legal department to help Leicester to try to solve the case with FIFA.

“Then he came to Lisbon to be honoured at the stadium where he had been living with me and my family. Not to mention a game that he left on a stretcher and where there was a serious injury on the area of the spine, and I was by his side and in contact all night with his family to calm them and to make them the point of the situation.

“Anyway, I hope that the translation is all wrong, because if it is correct I already say that Sporting CP failed very much in the work of making him a man.

“And I hope I do not have to talk about it anymore, and that Adrien has the honest and manly gesture of coming to men d all this message that has gone out and that in no way corresponds to the truth.”

Also widely reported during Silva’s eventual move away from us that he had several agents that were all proving to be difficult to deal with and a few deals fell through and it took a while to get his move away finalised.  

4 hours ago, Babylon said:

Player registration is most likely dealt with by Andrew Neville or administrative staff, not Rudkin, as football operations director. Rudkin's job was to negotiate the deal, not to rubber stamp paperwork that is already done in principle. The 14 seconds was hardly a massive mistake and if FIFA had followed their own precedent (Guidetti?) then every party would have won, instead they f***ed a player and a club up the arse for 4 months for no reason.

And as for Kante, we know he wanted to go to Marseille instead of us. And release clauses are not 'very, very rare', it's just that many of them are high enough that nobody would think to activate them (see Tarkowski £50m). Nobody thought a player plucked from the French mid-table (aged 24) or non-league (aged 25) would command fees of £22m or £32m. 2015 was the same summer in which Arturo Vidal went to Bayern for £26m in his prime.

I don't know how anyone can use the phrase 'if you can't do X without Y you are in the wrong job' when you know f*** all about the facts.

Every DoF, board, manager has made mistakes and got things wrong, but you can only say that with hindsight. Rudkin, Whelan and each of our last three heads of recruitment have done a quite remarkable job on balance and I certainly believe Rudkin and others have grown into their role. You have to remember we thrust Rudkin into a position of huge power from decades of academy coaching, one month before a January window where we needed investment to survive, and 6 months before we had to sack a manager. He's learned on the job and I think we would be much worse off without him.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, jeffschlupp said:

Every DoF, board, manager has made mistakes and got things wrong, but you can only say that with hindsight. Rudkin, Whelan and each of our last three heads of recruitment have done a quite remarkable job on balance and I certainly believe Rudkin and others have grown into their role. You have to remember we thrust Rudkin into a position of huge power from decades of academy coaching, one month before a January window where we needed investment to survive, and 6 months before we had to sack a manager. He's learned on the job and I think we would be much worse off without him.

Rudkin is director of football, he's going to be there when those decisions are being made and it will be ultimately his decision. Just because Barbara the secretary is the one sending the email, or someone else doesn't absolve the man at the top. 

A subsequent decision to not allow them again is admission of a mistake by the man himself, is it not?

11 minutes ago, jeffschlupp said:

Do not take anything I'm saying as an attack on him now, I've done nothing but give him praise for quite a long time now. And even when he got criticised, a said it's about learning and growing into the role. Because he's been promoted and isn't use to the role. He's learnt, he's still learning and we've now got one of the best backroom teams around it seems. That doesn't mean he didn't make mistakes during the learning process.

37 minutes ago, Babylon said:

“An interview that I hope is mistranslated, because hearing that Adrien is disappointed with me I don’t know whether to laugh or to cry, depending on the state of mind,” he said in his post. 

“So his new club was that the one that delayed for 14 seconds, because they didn’t want to sign our version of the contract, as they wanted to write everything the same but in the paper of their club.

“Then, without having any responsibility, I gave orders to my legal department to help Leicester to try to solve the case with FIFA.

“Then he came to Lisbon to be honoured at the stadium where he had been living with me and my family. Not to mention a game that he left on a stretcher and where there was a serious injury on the area of the spine, and I was by his side and in contact all night with his family to calm them and to make them the point of the situation.

“Anyway, I hope that the translation is all wrong, because if it is correct I already say that Sporting CP failed very much in the work of making him a man.

“And I hope I do not have to talk about it anymore, and that Adrien has the honest and manly gesture of coming to men d all this message that has gone out and that in no way corresponds to the truth.”

You do realise bruno de carvalho was arrested last year for amongst other things terrorism, kidnapping and carrying a prohibited. So not sure you can take much of what he says as verbatim! Also not sure how any of this proves it was Rudkins fault? 

Also he does acknowledge that the player thinks its his fault. So at the very least you have to acknowledge that there is definitely a chance it had nothing to do with Rudkin. 

15 minutes ago, Jack1993 said:

Wrong thread mate, US politics is in general chat 

smug-man-drinking-coffee_1600.jpg

Shxt. I knew something didn't feel right. A he said she said at 5:58 in the morning. I have to get a life. Foxestalk and my cat are warping my brain.

7 hours ago, Babylon said:

Kante didn't want to sign for us, we was trying to sign him way before ranieri!! sometimes release clauses are asked for by the players agents and player

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Babylon said:

A choir - or more like a boy band? :ph34r:

1 hour ago, tylesta said:

Kante didn't want to sign for us, we was trying to sign him way before ranieri!! sometimes release clauses are asked for by the players agents and player

Not way before really it was a few weeks or a month before and from the mans own mouth, he didn't want to sign for a club that at the time didn't have a manager, which is perfectly understandable. 

"Kante didn't want to sign for us" If he didn't want to sign for us he wouldn't have. 

"People can think what they want. Having heard what the manager Claudio Ranieri had to say, I felt as if there was something that I could do there. I visited the facilities, I saw that it was of the highest level. Today everything is going very well. I am happy. Last summer, I was in contact with Marseille. I spoke to the representatives. Today I tell myself that I made the right decision.”

Some of the comments I’ve seen about Congerton from city fans over the past year or however long are just ****ing embarrassing. 

To speak so negatively about a bloke you know nothing about, probably didn’t know existed til he joined and most likely know nothing about what he does at the club is just weird. Just copying tinpot comments from Sunderland fans and let’s face it that club has been rotten for some time.

This isn’t even a pro Congerton post it’s just a pro stop talking shite post. 

• Like 4

1 minute ago, TJB-fox said:

Some of the comments I’ve seen about Congerton from city fans over the past year or however long are just ****ing embarrassing. 

To speak so negatively about a bloke you know nothing about, probably didn’t know existed til he joined and most likely know nothing about what he does at the club is just weird. Just copying tinpot comments from Sunderland fans and let’s face it that club has been rotten for some time.

This isn’t even a pro Congerton post it’s just a pro stop talking shite post. 

You deffo need to search for some of mine lol  I think there's another Congerton thread somewhere too.

2 hours ago, Babylon said:

Not way before really it was a few weeks or a month before and from the mans own mouth, he didn't want to sign for a club that at the time didn't have a manager, which is perfectly understandable. 

"Kante didn't want to sign for us" If he didn't want to sign for us he wouldn't have. 

"People can think what they want. Having heard what the manager Claudio Ranieri had to say, I felt as if there was something that I could do there. I visited the facilities, I saw that it was of the highest level. Today everything is going very well. I am happy. Last summer, I was in contact with Marseille. I spoke to the representatives. Today I tell myself that I made the right decision.”

Raineau recalled: "Kante did not want to go to Leicester.  He wanted to move to Marseille.

"But they did not offer Caen as much money for him as Leicester, so the club said no to them.