Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Chocolate Teapot

Congerton

1 minute ago, Arriba Los Zorros said:

Have to say, the recent signings have been good. Some of the players we have been linked with have been worrying - mcNeil, Vestergaard and co - bit who is to say what of that is legit and maybe he is just adept at using smoke screens to push through the real signings.

McNeil would have be OK, not great, but I agree the Vestergaard link was a worry.

7 minutes ago, Abrasive fox said:

What are people's views now?

Seems to be doing alright to me.

I think as Ealing is alluding to, it's impossible to tell right now. 

James - OK to Average

Perez - Poor to Average

Praet - Average to Good

Castagne - Looks very good but only 4 games in

Bennet (Loan) - Naff

Under - God knows

Fofana - God knows

• Like 2

Coincidentally this just popped up on NewsNow  - https://www.celticquicknews.co.uk/bye-bye-benyu/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+co%2FIRuC+(Celtic+Quick+News)

But then all managers sign a lemon every now and then.

BY CQN MAGAZINE ON 5TH OCTOBER 2020

CELTIC’S forgotten man Kundai Benyu, once so highly rated by Brendan Rodgers, is heading for the Hoops exit.

The 22-year-old midfielder, who was signed by the ex-boss from Ipswich Town in 2017,  is poised to join National League side Wealdstone.

Benyu was acclaimed as a top prospect when he arrived at Parkhead after rejecting a contract extension by Portman Road manager Mick McCarthy. He had caught the eye of Rodgers’ scouts during a loan spell at Aldershot.

Now three years and four Celtic appearances later, the Zimbabwean international is on his way, despite still having a year still to run on his contract.

The London-born playmaker has also had loan stints at Oldham and Swedish outfit Helsingborgs as he failed to make an impact in Glasgow.

Now Benyu will relaunch his faltering career in North London.

West London Sport reported Wealdstone had agreed a deal with the player and were now awaiting international clearance.The switch will be rubber-stamped before this evening’s 11pm signing deadline.

I would say that our recruitment team did a pretty decent job all things considered. Obviously we do not have vast pools of cash swilling around and need to keep within our budget and model of sustainable growth (not the right time to go cap in hand to KP for handouts). We have strengthened in those areas where most recognised that we needed to upgrade or add depth and obviously had a plan for this. I think it was common knowledge that Chilwell would most likely be the one to go to fund our business. He was being courted by Chelsea for a while, wanted the move and, compared to say a quality playmaker such as Maddison or YT, most likely the easiest to replace within our means, and there was no way we were going to let a CB go when that was already an area where we were light on numbers.

I suspect that our main targets were identified early doors and then it was a case of getting the business done.

Once again, it appears that we have bought quality (time will tell on all of them but Castagne looks to be a brilliant bit of business), with youth on their side and a view to replacing likely future departures.

For now Rudkin and his team, including Congerton deserve a pat on the back for a job well done.

The jury is still out for me. The Fofana fee is excessive not only for a 19 year old with potential but also that centre back is not a position that generates massive sell on fees (apart from the great Harry Mykonos rip off). 

Under is a good deal as we get to try before we buy (or not) for a smallish fee. 

Agree that Timmy looks the real deal (so far) and will be a masterstroke if he can hold down the left back slot when Ricky comes back. 

A net spend of £10m (according to reports) isnt too uncomfortable. 

3rd window in a row and no forward to cover or provide competition for our soon to be 34 year old only striker - Ollie Watkins was available.

Under is too early to tell but looks like Knockeart mk2

Timothy looks a bargain though and i hope new Wes does well.

2 minutes ago, Spudulike said:

The jury is still out for me. The Fofana fee is excessive not only for a 19 year old with potential but also that centre back is not a position that generates massive sell on fees (apart from the great Harry Mykonos rip off). 

Under is a good deal as we get to try before we buy (or not) for a smallish fee. 

Agree that Timmy looks the real deal (so far) and will be a masterstroke if he can hold down the left back slot when Ricky comes back. 

A net spend of £10m (according to reports) isnt too uncomfortable. 

Congerton has nothing to do with the fees we pay for players, that is down to Rudkin and the board. Only impact would be recruitment department and management putting pressure on in regards to how much they want that said player.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, davieG said:

Coincidentally this just popped up on NewsNow  - https://www.celticquicknews.co.uk/bye-bye-benyu/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+co%2FIRuC+(Celtic+Quick+News)

But then all managers sign a lemon every now and then.

BY CQN MAGAZINE ON 5TH OCTOBER 2020

CELTIC’S forgotten man Kundai Benyu, once so highly rated by Brendan Rodgers, is heading for the Hoops exit.

The 22-year-old midfielder, who was signed by the ex-boss from Ipswich Town in 2017,  is poised to join National League side Wealdstone.

Benyu was acclaimed as a top prospect when he arrived at Parkhead after rejecting a contract extension by Portman Road manager Mick McCarthy. He had caught the eye of Rodgers’ scouts during a loan spell at Aldershot.

Now three years and four Celtic appearances later, the Zimbabwean international is on his way, despite still having a year still to run on his contract.

The London-born playmaker has also had loan stints at Oldham and Swedish outfit Helsingborgs as he failed to make an impact in Glasgow.

Now Benyu will relaunch his faltering career in North London.

West London Sport reported Wealdstone had agreed a deal with the player and were now awaiting international clearance.The switch will be rubber-stamped before this evening’s 11pm signing deadline.

Not much to see here in all fairness. He was a young lad brought in for free with the intention to develop, he wasn't even a first team signing but a development squad one. If for these type of punt signings 1 in 10 works then your doing well. You'll sure have more Benyu's than Frimpong's but if you find the latter every few years then you've won a watch.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, m4DD0gg said:

3rd window in a row and no forward to cover or provide competition for our soon to be 34 year old only striker - Ollie Watkins was available.

Under is too early to tell but looks like Knockeart mk2

Timothy looks a bargain though and i hope new Wes does well.

Ünder is a Knockaert Mark II, please can you expand on that. I have now read he has similarities to Ghezzal and Knockaert but neither had pace which is what Ünder has in abundance. 

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, Ric Flair said:

Congerton has nothing to do with the fees we pay for players, that is down to Rudkin and the board. Only impact would be recruitment department and management putting pressure on in regards to how much they want that said player.

Whilst that is true, Congerton would've given expert advice into whether he considered him value for money and been required to offer alternatives for similar outlay. 

1 minute ago, Ric Flair said:

It's obviously still too early to assess Congerton but on paper the signings we have made since he has been here fit a similar mould to the types of player we have been so successful with in the past bar Perez who goes against our usual model but I think he was a signing that made sense at the time.

So I'm willing to hold my hands up and say that the hysteria of the appointment of Congerton has to date been a bit silly as he has come in and not meddled too much like his reputation suggests he might, so perhaps he isn't as bad as people have accused him of. We have a system in place and if he works within that then he deserves credit as well if it goes well.

Good assessment!

Bennet was also awful, but think that was a case of having to shop in poundland for a defender in that window, and we got what we paid for.

• Like 2

37 minutes ago, Babylon said:

I think as Ealing is alluding to, it's impossible to tell right now. 

James - OK to Average

Perez - Poor to Average

Praet - Average to Good

Castagne - Looks very good but only 4 games in

Bennet (Loan) - Naff

Under - God knows

Fofana - God knows

Could you explain what you mean by average, it's a term that gets thrown around quite often, do you mean an average Premier league player in their position?  

5 minutes ago, Ric Flair said:

It's obviously still too early to assess Congerton but on paper the signings we have made since he has been here fit a similar mould to the types of player we have been so successful with in the past bar Perez who goes against our usual model but I think he was a signing that made sense at the time.

So I'm willing to hold my hands up and say that the hysteria of the appointment of Congerton has to date been a bit silly as he has come in and not meddled too much like his reputation suggests he might, so perhaps he isn't as bad as people have accused him of. We have a system in place and if he works within that then he deserves credit as well if it goes well.

Agree with every word of this. I too was worried but the doom merchants who were forecasting the decline of our football club seem to be wrong.

When it comes to recruitment it goes way deeper than one bloke. The systems we have are top notch - we spend as much as anyone on scouting and thats encouraging for me.

Fofana is risk, I agree however, they've watched him in person over 10 times, everyone I've spoken to say he's going to be excellent. Also important to note the fee is up to 30m, not 30m+.

• Like 2