Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Adster

"Project Big Picture"

The whole thing stinks. The bail out for the lower league clubs could easily be done without the power grab. The bit I find really worrying is the power of veto against any takeovers. Basically they are saying that it is ok for us have oligarchs, oil countries and other billionaire owners, but woe betide anyone with a few bob trying to buy a football club and pump their cash in to genuinely make a potential challenge. If they had that power ten years ago do you think they would have let our current owners in? No chance. Football clubs are businesses, we all get that, but pretty sure some of their proposals would be illegal under competition law. I would love the “other fourteen” as some media are calling the rest of the PL to take out a test case against them. Cartels are illegal and punishable by huge fines and directors of companies engaging in such activity, if found guilty, can be banned.

if only the FA had the balls to kick them out for brining the league into disrepute.

• Like 2

Effectively what they are proposing is to blackmail the FA and premier league into accepting these proposals by bribing all the teams in the efl at a time of hardship  by using the cash from future parachute payments and if it doesn’t work out due to the other 14 prem teams voting against the idea, they then have a reason to quit the league whilst leaving behind a shitstorm that will be the fault of the remaining premier league clubs. The FA need to stand firm or we’ll all be in the shit.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Corky said:

I've no problem with the EFL clubs wanting this deal (although the Championship clubs who get promoted would be hindered long-term), they need the money.

But you cannot propose this and expect the rest of the PL to vote to weaken themselves in pretty much every aspect.

The Government have done nowhere near enough to support the EFL, either, and shouldn't get away from criticism because this ridiculous proposal has dominated the news.

They’re not going to get a deal because the big 6 know the rest of the prem will vote against it. 

The only power anyone has, if this moves ahead, is to walk away. Don't give them or anything they're connected with a pence.

Let them play in front of empty stadiums and see where this goes. Even on TV watching the empty stadiums is getting boring and unwatchable. The lack of energy from the supporters is killing the game (professionally) weather its greed or the coronavirus.

3 hours ago, foxile5 said:

I've been saying for YEARS we've been steadily Americanising sport. Through language initially. 

I was scoffed at but it's happening, bit by bit. And for the worse. 

I'll be the first to admit that its an illness. The total disrespect for other cultures. Americanization = Commodification = Crapification.

I can just about understand Man U being peeved with having to share wealth and voting rights with a newly promoted club. Whatever is said, they’ve contributed a significant amount to the global appeal of the league. I can even just about understand arsenal, Liverpool and Chelsea having those feelings. 

but Tottenham - come off it. And I’m not even saying it because it’s Spurs. Very few people are waking up to watch Tottenham ****ing Hotspurs. I’m sorry but they’ve jumped on the bandwagon here and believe their own hype. They have no prestige, no real history and continually get mocked by others in the league. United have Cantona, Liverpool Fowler and spurs ? CHRIS ****ING ARMSTRONG! This is what Henry and the Glaziers are missing - the top 6 changes over time. Villa, Forest, Everton, Leeds and even us have been up at sometime. You can’t restructure a whole league on 5 years of football.

5 hours ago, Always Next Year said:

Of course it will be popular with the lower leagues, all they see is large sums of money and nothing else, Waite until they get fcuked over two or three years down the line when the big six are fed up of paying to keep them afloat.

This when they have the voting power they will just take the money away or when they eventually break away from the league there will be no one to pay their money.

Im done with the top 6. **** off and die you scummy bastards.

The EFL teams are like crack addicts right now being offered free crack for a few years. Of course they will say yes! No offense to any crack addicts on this thread or anyone 

dealing with substance abuse issues.

Edited by Jattdogg
  • Like 4

3 hours ago, Corky said:

I've no problem with the EFL clubs wanting this deal (although the Championship clubs who get promoted would be hindered long-term), they need the money.

But you cannot propose this and expect the rest of the PL to vote to weaken themselves in pretty much every aspect.

The Government have done nowhere near enough to support the EFL, either, and shouldn't get away from criticism because this ridiculous proposal has dominated the news.

While the pandemic has had an awful affect on these clubs, can the actual clubs be void of criticism too ? The EFL has been on its knees since before ITV Digital collapsed. The clubs continue to run up unrealistic losses and fail to manage expectations of its playing staff.

It’s all good and well them jumping on the bandwagon but one of the voices of support is Peter ****ing Ridsdale. The man who nearly ran Cardiff and Leeds out of business but who is continually allowed to work in the EFL in a senior exec position. The other is Forest, a club who struggle to go a season without paying off a manager and use each transfer window to effectively buy a new a team. There’s a lot of poorly run clubs down there - we many years ago use to be one of them!

It’s like you say, you can’t expect Premier League clubs to weaken themselves to support a structure which for years has done nothing to give confidence that they’ll actually use the 25% yearly payments wisely. 

13 hours ago, jayfox26 said:

Liverpool really are a vile club and this stems from the owners. The attempt to furlough staff when they are multi billion pound business was sickening and now trying to take control of English football. If their fans agree with this then they are as vile as their owners. Any decnet football fan would be completely against this regardless of whether you support Man U, Liverpool, Leicester or Lincoln. This is no deal for the efl, its clubs or anyone. The fact they have the audacity to make it look like their are doing english football a favour is an insult to the intelligence of football fans across the country. I try not to get too annoyed about football these days but this has really made me sick! 

And then they got praised by the media for going back on their decision. Revolting club. Think they're somehow even worse than Manchester United. I know we all slag off Derby and Forest but they're absolutely nothing compared to scum like this two really.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, urban.spaceman said:

Club statement - Project Big Picture

Just now

Nottingham Forest can confirm that it has received an initial high level briefing on the current position in relation to Project Big Picture along with other EFL clubs.

The club’s preliminary view is that there are many aspects of the proposals which appear to be in the long-term interests of football and are worthy of further discussion and negotiation.

It is obviously vital that any long-term settlement secures the immediate future of the football pyramid but it must also look after the interests of fans, the women’s game and the role of football in our communities.

There are no doubt governance issues which will require debate but the club considers that these issues should be capable of resolution in the interests of the game and that this debate at the top of football should not obscure the potential benefits of the proposal which will impact on a much wider community.   

Spoke too soon didn't I? Fingers crossed they do a Bury.

7 hours ago, ealingfox said:

Sheds a new light on the desperation to stop us getting in the top 4 last season. Still think there was nothing dodgy about all those handball and penalty decisions?

100% corrupt. Absolutely laughable that people rule it out.

2 hours ago, Mickyblueeyes said:

While the pandemic has had an awful affect on these clubs, can the actual clubs be void of criticism too ? The EFL has been on its knees since before ITV Digital collapsed. The clubs continue to run up unrealistic losses and fail to manage expectations of its playing staff.

It’s all good and well them jumping on the bandwagon but one of the voices of support is Peter ****ing Ridsdale. The man who nearly ran Cardiff and Leeds out of business but who is continually allowed to work in the EFL in a senior exec position. The other is Forest, a club who struggle to go a season without paying off a manager and use each transfer window to effectively buy a new a team. There’s a lot of poorly run clubs down there - we many years ago use to be one of them!

It’s like you say, you can’t expect Premier League clubs to weaken themselves to support a structure which for years has done nothing to give confidence that they’ll actually use the 25% yearly payments wisely. 

Bit unfair on the football league here.Its the Prem which has skewed the financies of the game.It’s not like we weren’t warned back in 1992 either.

3 hours ago, Mickyblueeyes said:

I can just about understand Man U being peeved with having to share wealth and voting rights with a newly promoted club. Whatever is said, they’ve contributed a significant amount to the global appeal of the league. I can even just about understand arsenal, Liverpool and Chelsea having those feelings. 

but Tottenham - come off it. And I’m not even saying it because it’s Spurs. Very few people are waking up to watch Tottenham ****ing Hotspurs. I’m sorry but they’ve jumped on the bandwagon here and believe their own hype. They have no prestige, no real history and continually get mocked by others in the league. United have Cantona, Liverpool Fowler and spurs ? CHRIS ****ING ARMSTRONG! This is what Henry and the Glaziers are missing - the top 6 changes over time. Villa, Forest, Everton, Leeds and even us have been up at sometime. You can’t restructure a whole league on 5 years of football.

To say Tottenham have no real history is frankly laughable.Might not have won much recently but they are getting there.The infrastructure is ready to go.If there is to be a big six then they fit the criteria to be in it.They had a pretty dodgy 90/s and early 2000s,granted.Since then however they have got their act together.The world class stadium is there.The support is there.Even the NFL will eventually be there.They’ve even overtaken Arsenal now for the first time in decades.The timing as been near on perfect.It’s almost as if they could see this coming 🙆🏼‍♂️

2 hours ago, Heathrow fox said:

To say Tottenham have no real history is frankly laughable.Might not have won much recently but they are getting there.The infrastructure is ready to go.If there is to be a big six then they fit the criteria to be in it.They had a pretty dodgy 90/s and early 2000s,granted.Since then however they have got their act together.The world class stadium is there.The support is there.Even the NFL will eventually be there.They’ve even overtaken Arsenal now for the first time in decades.The timing as been near on perfect.It’s almost as if they could see this coming 🙆🏼‍♂️

Is their history on par with Man U or Liverpool or more so the other clubs I listed ? The point was, Spurs are not “elite” anymore so then say Villa. United and Liverpool are on a different level of global reach compared to Spurs. You can just about understand their need to control the league. Not so much Spurs - they are no where near the global reach of the other two and it’s silly to suggest they’re despite their pretty new stadium and NFL links. 

This is the problem of centring the decision making to “top” 6 clubs. In reality that has different meaning in each decade.  

Wow. Reading some of the self justifying posts on RAWK makes me a little sad. They wilfully mix loyalty with being partisan, and strive to legitimise every positive  viewpoint painted about their club. Even at its most base, defying their clubs part ownership of this proposal, seeking to blame and demonise the EFL clubs.

Fetid.

Something needs to help those that deserve help, not those that screw themselves into a financial shitstorm of their own making. This proposal grabs headlines, good ones at points, but too much uncertainty in the details.

This won't happen. Arsenal, man city, Chelsea & spurs won't vote for it, likely via fans/media driven pier pressure. The government will block any new attempt by clubs like man utd & liverpool to break away by legally blocking them. At the end of the day, anything that threatens the integrity and £££ worth of tax in all English leagues will not be allowed to be broken up, especially from the top 6. The government have a golden share in decisions in any PL & EFL proposals such as this and in a roundabout way have already said they won't accept it.

11 hours ago, The whole world smiles said:

They won't be thinking long term mate a lot will be happy to get through November in the current situation. I liked the idea of a transfer tax for all buying British teams that's distributed across the pyramid. Even if it was 2% for the next 4 window the could equate to nearly 100 million quid to fill the financial void. 

That would be a great idea. Especially if it could be paid for by a cap on agents fees.

• Like 2