Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Adster

"Project Big Picture"

15 minutes ago, Fox92 said:

They've got a lot of income, big wow. Tell me again what they've won in those 11 seasons?

The history books say 11 top 6 finishes, move to a new ground, CL final and ........ , most importantly, no trophies.

For me, a big club are definined by what they are winning now and what they have previously won. So I'm not glossing over anything because finances aren't a measure of how big a club are.

Sure, there is a single metric that you could use to deny them 'big club' status - 'recent trophy wins'. It's fine to use that to help assess their standing, but at the same time you completely ignore every other metric.

BTW - if you want to know what the 'history books' say;

On trophies won, they're sixth https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_football_clubs_in_England_by_competitive_honours_won

On all time league rankings, they're seventh https://www.worldfootball.net/alltime_table/eng-premier-league/

Edited by turtmcfly

Just now, Foxy_Bear said:

To be fair, size of stadium means absolutely heehaw in relation to size of club, does it? 

If you're talking about a stadium like Hillborough, built 120 years ago then clearly there's a lot of time for the stadium size to get 'detached' from the size of the club itself. 

Tottenham's ground was opened just over a year ago. Far from being unrelated to their 'size', it was built as a direct result of it

I think the discussion over whether Spurs are an elite club, or not, only serves to demonstrate the point. This power grab is only about money.

If we’re talking about history, success, recent trophy wins etc. - then there are others who have a decent claim to be as big or bigger. But this hasn’t got anything to do with any of those things it’s purely about money.

Spurs are a big six club as they currently have the resources (money) to be defined as one. The point of the whole thing is to protect that wealth and stop others from ever challenging (what Man City and Chelsea have done in the past). Giving themselves protected status should ensure that they always challenge for trophies.

it’s purely about money and has nothing to do with any other subjective measures about the impact any club has had in its history. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Tuna said:

How about a new project to expel Man United and Liverpool from the Premier League lets see if that gets a two thirds majority.

Make them play in their own little mini league. Just them two. Each week. See how bored their fans get and swap to other clubs as they see fit. 

Edited by StanSP
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, Jobyfox said:

I think the discussion over whether Spurs are an elite club, or not, only serves to demonstrate the point. This power grab is only about money.

If we’re talking about history, success, recent trophy wins etc. - then there are others who have a decent claim to be as big or bigger. But this hasn’t got anything to do with any of those things it’s purely about money.

Spurs are a big six club as they currently have the resources (money) to be defined as one. The point of the whole thing is to protect that wealth and stop others from ever challenging (what Man City and Chelsea have done in the past). Giving themselves protected status should ensure that they always challenge for trophies.

it’s purely about money and has nothing to do with any other subjective measures about the impact any club has had in its history. 

Hmmm... how I would describe the overlap between this 'historic top six' and the current (apparently transitory) 'financial big six'?

Combined Totals of English Men's Clubs
  FIFA and UEFA FA, EFL and PL (top-qualifying) Total
Club Cups Super Cups Total League Cups Super Cups Total League Cups Super Cups Total
Manchester United 6 2 8 20 17 21 58 20 23 23 66
Liverpool 10 4 14 19 16[a] 16 51 19 26 20 65
Arsenal 2 2 13 17 16 46 13 19 16 48
Chelsea 5 1 6 6 15 4 25 6 20 5 31
Manchester City 1 1 6 13 6 25 6 14 6 26
Tottenham Hotspur 3 3 2 12 9[b] 23 2 15 9 26
Edited by turtmcfly

Just seen here as well that it was on its 18th draft before being leaked out, how bad was the other 17 if that is what they had got to

https://www.skysports.com/football/news/11095/12102984/project-big-picture-what-are-the-papers-saying

Since details of the plan, already on its 18th draft, were revealed, the rest of the clubs in the league have pored over the details of how revenue would be divided at the proposed PBP start point - the 2022/23 season.

8 minutes ago, StanSP said:

Make them play in their own little mini league. Just them two. Each week. See how bored their fans get and swap to other clubs as they see fit. 

Or just chuck em in the most appropriate local league, West Cheshire League for Liverpool and the Surrey Combination for United.

Just now, Danizen said:

Let's see how enthusiastic they are about being the saviour of the poor EFL clubs now there's nothing in it for them. I bet all the bribes good ideas get quickly brushed under the carpet.

Let's not forget that it was only a week ago that B teams were suggested to take up places in the EFL.

15 minutes ago, turtmcfly said:

If you're talking about a stadium like Hillborough, built 120 years ago then clearly there's a lot of time for the stadium size to get 'detached' from the size of the club itself. 

Tottenham's ground was opened just over a year ago. Far from being unrelated to their 'size', it was built as a direct result of it

The club I had in mind was Queens Park who play at Hampden but there are also Korean 2nd division teams who play In 70,000 seater stadiums that were built for the world cup and stuff like that. 

11 minutes ago, peterborofox said:

Says all 20 voted against....so they voted against their own plan?! lol

Someone was saying the other day that there is an unwritten rule amongst them that once they discuss it and have an idea on how a vote would go, the all vote unanimously in that favour to appear united. 

1 minute ago, Corky said:

Let's not forget that it was only a week ago that B teams were suggested to take up places in the EFL.

I think that's Soriano's opinion of something that would help Manchester City bring through younger players as he's used to that structure; I suspect any Spanish exec would have the same opinion. It was also deliberately and disingenuously linked to other things by the snake Simon Stone at the BBC, when it was part of a Q&A big sport conference, but then the BBC social media arm hired someone from MU, and Stone is a fully paid up stooge.

Context aside, I don't think it should happen here though, as it would increase the hoarding that occurs with loan armies. The academy EPPP stitch-up was quite bad enough from the ever benevolent PL.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, turtmcfly said:

Hmmm... how I would describe the overlap between this 'historic top six' and the current (apparently transitory) 'financial big six'?

Combined Totals of English Men's Clubs
  FIFA and UEFA FA, EFL and PL (top-qualifying) Total
Club Cups Super Cups Total League Cups Super Cups Total League Cups Super Cups Total
Manchester United 6 2 8 20 17 21 58 20 23 23 66
Liverpool 10 4 14 19 16[a] 16 51 19 26 20 65
Arsenal 2 2 13 17 16 46 13 19 16 48
Chelsea 5 1 6 6 15 4 25 6 20 5 31
Manchester City 1 1 6 13 6 25 6 14 6 26
Tottenham Hotspur 3 3 2 12 9[b] 23 2 15 9 26

Well a few things - show me that table 50 years ago, 25 years ago and 10 years ago. Then you might be able to define ‘historic’ top six. 

These tables  also assume trophies carry equal weighting - personally I don’t. I’d put European Cups and League Titles in a bracket above the FA Cup and an FA Cup above a league cup.

But all of the above is really my point about subjective measures versus the only one that matters in terms of the motivation behind this - money! 

Edited by Jobyfox