Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
StanSP

FA Cup 2020/2021

Personally in a time of such financial turmoil in football I am afraid to say that I can only see the scrapping of replays benefitting bigger clubs. It's a disgrace removing the revenue opportunity replays provide smaller clubs at a time like this. Definitely am not surprised though.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, peach0000 said:

Personally in a time of such financial turmoil in football I am afraid to say that I can only see the scrapping of replays benefitting bigger clubs. It's a disgrace removing the revenue opportunity replays provide smaller clubs at a time like this. Definitely am not surprised though.

That'll be that then. The precedent is set. Sad day for the competition.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, peach0000 said:

5 hours ago, Voll Blau said:

That'll be that then. The precedent is set. Sad day for the competition.

Surely it's a logistical thing for this season only?

As in I hope it's for this season only. If it's a permanent fix then yeah that is shit.

34 minutes ago, StanSP said:

Surely it's a logistical thing for this season only?

As in I hope it's for this season only. If it's a permanent fix then yeah that is shit.

Hopefully but even so there are so many teams in league 1 and 2 who a replay against a premier league or championship side might genuinely be the difference between continuing to exist and going bust. That is way more important than clubs in the premier league getting a few days more rest. It would be a nice gesture if the championship and premier league teams were to hand a small payment to lower league teams as compensation. I'm sure most premier league teams would have been willing to hand over a few hundred thousand each to get replays taken away for a season. I doubt any of this will happed though and all that will happen is lower division clubs getting absolutely shafted like normal. 

1 minute ago, peach0000 said:

Hopefully but even so there are so many teams in league 1 and 2 who a replay against a premier league or championship side might genuinely be the difference between continuing to exist and going bust. That is way more important than clubs in the premier league getting a few days more rest. It would be a nice gesture if the championship and premier league teams were to hand a small payment to lower league teams as compensation. I'm sure most premier league teams would have been willing to hand over a few hundred thousand each to get replays taken away for a season. I doubt any of this will happed though and all that will happen is lower division clubs getting absolutely shafted like normal. 

I understand that but it's not just the PL clubs that will need the rest. Football League schedules will probably be worse as they have to squeeze 8 more league games in somewhere?

3 minutes ago, StanSP said:

I understand that but it's not just the PL clubs that will need the rest. Football League schedules will probably be worse as they have to squeeze 8 more league games in somewhere?

Yeah I understand the need for rest but the financial needs of smaller clubs are more important at the moment in my opinion and anything that takes money away from them I don't think should happen at the moment. Replays only really significantly benefits lower league teams which is why I think they should stay. I will say though none of these decisions are easy or straight forwards in this climate. 

Might be one for the unpopular opinions thread but I think they should scrap replays permanently.

Also gives the smaller clubs a better chance of causing an upset rather than letting bigger clubs get their sh it together in the replay. 

If they're scrapping replays, they should do what they do in France for their domestic cup competitions.

If you're drawn at home to a side that's 2 or more divisions below you, the lower-league team gets the home tie by default. 

All ties completed on the day/night. No replays. Ties in with @Nalis's post if they plan to get rid of replays permanently. Lower-league sides still get the cashflow of potentially hosting a bigger club (when fans are back). More likely they get the 'glamour' ties to host as well.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 14/08/2020 at 05:54, StanSP said:

If they're scrapping replays, they should do what they do in France for their domestic cup competitions.

If you're drawn at home to a side that's 2 or more divisions below you, the lower-league team gets the home tie by default. 

All ties completed on the day/night. No replays. Ties in with @Nalis's post if they plan to get rid of replays permanently. Lower-league sides still get the cashflow of potentially hosting a bigger club (when fans are back). More likely they get the 'glamour' ties to host as well.

Isn’t there a bigger cashflow by playing away?

If your a League Two club playing in front of a big crowd at home is one thing, but getting 50% of the gate fees from Old Trafford, St James Park or White Heart Lane would be a much bigger prize for the future of the club.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/54646507

Notts County pull out of FA Cup after more positive Covid-19 tests

Notts County have been forced to withdraw from the FA Cup after two more players tested positive for Covid-19 ahead of the fourth qualifying round.

County now have six players who have tested positive for the virus and are self-isolating as a result.

It means Saturday's opponents King's Lynn Town will get a bye and play in the first round for the first time.

County's upcoming National League games against Aldershot Town and Halifax have also been postponed.

It comes as Barnet say they are "confident" of playing their tie with Leiston despite having manager Peter Beadle and nine players out following positive coronavirus tests.

"Naturally, we are incredibly disappointed to withdraw from the FA Cup - a competition, as past winners, we have a wonderful association with - but with only 14 available players and several positions we're now unable to cover, on top of the clear risk of more infections coming to light in the coming days, it is only right that we take decisive action to cease training and playing for the time being," Notts County chief executive Jason Turner told the club website.

"I am hugely proud of the way the club has conducted itself throughout the pandemic and would once again like to pay tribute to our owners, Chris and Alex Reedtz, for continuing to fund regular testing despite this not being mandatory, thus ensuring we are doing all we can to protect our players, staff and the wider public."

County, who won the FA Cup in 1894, have never failed to reach the first round of the FA Cup in their history.

"While I'm devastated that I won't have the opportunity to put together a cup run for the club this season, the safety of my players, staff, the opposition and their families have to be the priority at this terrible time," manager Neal Ardley added.

"As we're all aware, it's taken some people many months to recover from this illness and we therefore need to tread very carefully when it comes to rehabilitating our affected players.

"This is a new situation for everyone and I'm in close dialogue with our medical department to ensure we have careful and considered procedures in place."

6 minutes ago, moore_94 said:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/54646507

Notts County pull out of FA Cup after more positive Covid-19 tests

"Naturally, we are incredibly disappointed to withdraw from the FA Cup - a competition, as past winners.

Certainly disappointing news, but that part of the statement made even me chuckle lol

I guess you could say we're due for another Cup win 😉 

• Haha 1

11 hours ago, isaidno said:

Cray Valley Paper Mills made it to the 1st round proper for the first time in their history, came back from 2 nil down away to Maidenhead to beat them 3-2.

Hope they get a home tie.

Great to see Skelmersdale United reach the first round, must be one of the lowest ranked teams left in. Think Wigan Athletic is their most local Football League side, at home  to Wigan would be a great draw.

1 hour ago, Tuna said:

Great to see Skelmersdale United reach the first round, must be one of the lowest ranked teams left in. Think Wigan Athletic is their most local Football League side, at home  to Wigan would be a great draw.

Cant play at home. 

Council venue, changing rooms are closed off. 

It’s sad really that only 8 clubs can possibly play to fans. Surely common sense says they have to permit 600 as per they can at Level 3 of the non league pyramid.