Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Wymsey

Pre-Match: Leeds United (Away) - 2nd November 2020

20 hours ago, SO1 said:

"Please no" as in I hope Rodgers doesn't let his Ego get involved. :)  Thanks for the Leeds/Bielsa overview. 

You've spiked my interest now as a writer Jed Davies who had written a book about Tiki Taka, that I had read a while ago, has also written a book about Bielsa. If you have the time watch this Gemstone.

As you know I am a tactics aficionado, so let me say a massive thank you for posting this!

I've always rated Bielsa and this is a rare opportunity to hear the inner workings of the great man's mind. Leeds are truly lucky to have him as coach, the guy is literally a footballing pioneer and it's no surprise so many great modern day coaches speak so highly of him. The gist of the video is that in his 50,000 (!) games that he has seen (and recorded!) there are only 10 tactical systems that teams use. There's a section where he explains what formation is the best one to use against a different type of formation and so on. Sadly he can't spend as much time on the subject as I wished, but wow it's really fascinating! Funnily enough none of those systems are a basic 442 which is still the preferred formation used in English football, if not in the Premier League and honestly with that sort of thinking it's no wonder that England have gone over 50 years without winning a world cup, we are just clueless about the game that we invented. 

One sidenote is that Bielsa recently suggested that because of the success of Guardiola's system and football that an 11th system has been created, which is the Wolves and now Leicester style 541 deep block / counter attack system we used against them. He called that system a travesty for football (lol) but admitted he had some respect for it because it was proven to work. 

I just can't understand why Bielsa ended up at Leeds! Not having a go at them, but when you see chancers like Solskjaer, Lampard and Arteta in charge of some of the biggest clubs in the country it's hard to understand why they wouldn't go for someone who is so experienced and so amazing at consistently turning around under performing teams and making them competitive. I imagine it's because he's not a yes-man and demands a lot of control at a club, but I think he's brilliant. I do really like Brendan Rodgers and have been thoroughly impressed by him, but I would honestly go as far as saying that Bielsa is the third best training ground coach in the Premier League after Klopp and Guardiola. Ancelotti and Mourinho are elite level managers, but Bielsa gets on the training ground and gets average players to excel.

• Like 2

Very hard to predict a team as you never know who is going to be injured these days. The way things are going wouldn't be surprised if Brendan says that Tielemans leg dropped off in training so out for the forseeable. 

Assuming no more bad news, I think Evans wont be risked but maybe play in the European tie. I think Justin and Tielemans have earned a rest.

I would look to hit on the counter with pace looking at Leeds attacking nature.

Kasper 

Fofana    Morgan  Fuchs 

Albrighton                       Thomas 

Mendy

Under       Praet  Barnes

Vardy

Subs: Ward, Justin, Choudhury, Tielemans, Maddison, Slimani, Iheanacho 

14 minutes ago, StriderHiryu said:

As you know I am a tactics aficionado, so let me say a massive thank you for posting this!

I've always rated Bielsa and this is a rare opportunity to hear the inner workings of the great man's mind. Leeds are truly lucky to have him as coach, the guy is literally a footballing pioneer and it's no surprise so many great modern day coaches speak so highly of him. The gist of the video is that in his 50,000 (!) games that he has seen (and recorded!) there are only 10 tactical systems that teams use. There's a section where he explains what formation is the best one to use against a different type of formation and so on. Sadly he can't spend as much time on the subject as I wished, but wow it's really fascinating! Funnily enough none of those systems are a basic 442 which is still the preferred formation used in English football, if not in the Premier League and honestly with that sort of thinking it's no wonder that England have gone over 50 years without winning a world cup, we are just clueless about the game that we invented. 

One sidenote is that Bielsa recently suggested that because of the success of Guardiola's system and football that an 11th system has been created, which is the Wolves and now Leicester style 541 deep block / counter attack system we used against them. He called that system a travesty for football (lol) but admitted he had some respect for it because it was proven to work. 

I just can't understand why Bielsa ended up at Leeds! Not having a go at them, but when you see chancers like Solskjaer, Lampard and Arteta in charge of some of the biggest clubs in the country it's hard to understand why they wouldn't go for someone who is so experienced and so amazing at consistently turning around under performing teams and making them competitive. I imagine it's because he's not a yes-man and demands a lot of control at a club, but I think he's brilliant. I do really like Brendan Rodgers and have been thoroughly impressed by him, but I would honestly go as far as saying that Bielsa is the third best training ground coach in the Premier League after Klopp and Guardiola. Ancelotti and Mourinho are elite level managers, but Bielsa gets on the training ground and gets average players to excel.

Bielsa didn't end up at Leeds by accident.  He was prised away from his family and put in a flat above a sweet shop in Whetheby.  He wasn't even paid that much for the privilege.  It's probably not for me to say why so why do you think it is?

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Pub breath said:

Bielsa didn't end up at Leeds by accident.  He was prised away from his family and put in a flat above a sweet shop in Whetheby.  He wasn't even paid that much for the privilege.  It's probably not for me to say why so why do you think it is?

I know that Bielsa is a football purist and especially likes clubs that are deeply ingrained into the surrounding locale, hence why he’s worked at clubs like Marseille, Bilbao, Lazio and now Leeds. He probably also knew how much it would mean to Leeds fans to get them promoted again and no doubt saw it as a challenge too. I also know your chairman was willing to change the way the club was run to meet his demands and that’s proved to be a great decision.

But my point is that he’s so good it’s mystifying to me that other clubs didn’t go for him. And that was before he went to Leeds. For me promotion was an inevitability as soon as he was appointed even if it took an additional season to do it. Despite the “El Loco” tag, most people in the football world know how good he is. 

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, StriderHiryu said:

I know that Bielsa is a football purist and especially likes clubs that are deeply ingrained into the surrounding locale, hence why he’s worked at clubs like Marseille, Bilbao, Lazio and now Leeds. He probably also knew how much it would mean to Leeds fans to get them promoted again and no doubt saw it as a challenge too. I also know your chairman was willing to change the way the club was run to meet his demands and that’s proved to be a great decision.

But my point is that he’s so good it’s mystifying to me that other clubs didn’t go for him. And that was before he went to Leeds. For me promotion was an inevitability as soon as he was appointed even if it took an additional season to do it. Despite the “El Loco” tag, most people in the football world know how good he is. 

The first 5mins of the presentation told me all I need to know. Bielsa is an artist. Creating things his way on his time beholden to no one.  He's on a visionquest. A person living their dream. I glaze over when he talks tactics but when he talks emotion I can feel the passion and commitment to the dream. There's no way he's cut out for the BS corporate pressure of the Premier League for long. The vanilla interviews to the press to twist to their BS agendas and all the other garbage a manager deals with at this level. If somebody screws with his vision he'll be on the plane tomorrow. I knew he was different but had no idea. Its all about the work. Only the work. Him and Alberto Giacometti would make great friends. Takes one to know one.:)

11 hours ago, In Peace said:

Danny, Leeds fan here in peace. I often read opposition fans posts before we play them, but rarely comment. I have to say that this is brilliant, love it :) Personally, I think if Rodgers neglects to look at Bielsa's primary school 3rd grade art class project he will miss the actual game plan that he produced  for this very game some 50 odd year's ago! :) May the best team on the day win!

Cheers!! really appreciate this.

It's been clear, so far, that Leeds have done a great job, not just from their current league position, but the way you've re-branded as a club.

Huge buzz at the moment in the media and everybody wants to play Leeds now.

Also, virtually every game you've played has been top billing in the sports pages, it's interesting to watch and see how it's winding up jealous football fans across the country :D, classic Leeds. 

In this age of footballers managing their own personalities to the state of clay, all we're left with, as actual characters in the game, are the managers, and Bielsa is something else, so easy to mock, yet to give equal respect as a football genius.

It's been fascinating watching the Leeds story over the last few years, I hope it stays that way. 

Yeah, let's hope it's not 0-0. 

• Like 2

40 minutes ago, Pub breath said:

I think you're close to nailing it.  He would never go to a Real Madrid or Bayern, sterile corporations where he will lack control and is unlikely to connect.  The only challenge in front of him there would be to keep spending and keep winning stuff.  Not the right motivation for him at all.

He's basically reached God like status in Leeds now, I've never seen such reverence in such a short space of time for a manager.  The connection he has with the fans could not be improved and he can do no wrong.  We don't expect trophies, titles, Europe or even top ten.  We are just delighted he's here and giving us a quality of football we'll never enjoy again.  The relationship is perfect for him.

Never mind that flannel. When are you lot going to apologise for stealing Max Gradel away from us?

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Jonezy said:

I just want the trident of Barnes-Vardy-Ûnder up and running and then hit them with fast and direct passing like the Leicester of the title season.

We need to hit them hard, and hit them fast, with a major, and I mean major, leafleting campaign...

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Pub breath said:

I think you're close to nailing it.  He would never go to a Real Madrid or Bayern, sterile corporations where he will lack control and is unlikely to connect.  The only challenge in front of him there would be to keep spending and keep winning stuff.  Not the right motivation for him at all.

He's basically reached God like status in Leeds now, I've never seen such reverence in such a short space of time for a manager.  The connection he has with the fans could not be improved and he can do no wrong.  We don't expect trophies, titles, Europe or even top ten.  We are just delighted he's here and giving us a quality of football we'll never enjoy again.  The relationship is perfect for him.

I do have to say that there was a great clip of Bielsa getting out of his car to hug a disabled fan after getting promoted which could only make me smile. Despite being a private man that shuns the spotlight, that was a class touch and the fans reaction was priceless. 

• Like 2

On 30/10/2020 at 07:09, hejammy said:

So they think they are already a better team than us and that we are the "Park the bus" merchants. This is why a lot of neutral fans don't particularly like Leeds fans. They are like the Manure fans, Self entitled. A few good games in their first year back and they're talking about winning the league. :facepalm:I hope they get a beating and come crashing back down the earth. 

Screenshot_20201030-070412__01.jpg

Hi all

I joined this forum to apologise to you Hejammy & all the Foxes fans for my flippant remarks, I was out of order. Maybe our sensational displays has gone to my head, believe me I'm seriously concerned about the outcome of the result on Monday night, it could go either way tbh!

Vardy who I rate as the best striker in England could make a real difference with his pace, movement & eye for goal, you have a decent squad who are quite capable of challenging for the PL especially if you hit top form in this crazy season so far.

I was right behind Leicester when they defied the odds to win the PL/Division One for the first time in your history, what an amazing feat :appl:hopefully the Foxes or the unrecognised top six can cause another upset this season.

Really looking forward to the game, shame I can't be at ER. Always enjoyed our visits to the King Power Stadium & Filbert Street even though we've struggled more often than not. I was last there in 2017 when you battered us in the cup

Hope it's a cracking match 

Edited by 1964w
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, SouthStandUpperTier said:

Never mind that flannel. When are you lot going to apologise for stealing Max Gradel away from us?

When you apologise for nicking Kasper off us :D  Loads of love for little Max.  Craking player and a really nice lad.

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, StriderHiryu said:

I do have to say that there was a great clip of Bielsa getting out of his car to hug a disabled fan after getting promoted which could only make me smile. Despite being a private man that shuns the spotlight, that was a class touch and the fans reaction was priceless. 

That's the kind man he is, a very touching moment indeed.

55 minutes ago, 1964w said:

Hi all

I joined this forum to apologise to you Hejammy & all the Foxes fans for my flippant remarks, I was out of order. Maybe our sensational displays has gone to my head, believe me I'm seriously concerned about the outcome of the result on Monday night, it could go either way tbh!

Vardy who I rate as the best striker in England could make a real difference with his pace, movement & eye for goal, you have a decent squad who are quite capable of challenging for the PL especially if you hit top form in this crazy season so far.

I was right behind Leicester when they defied the odds to win the PL/Division One for the first time in your history, what an amazing feat :appl:hopefully the Foxes or the unrecognised top six can cause another upset this season.

Really looking forward to the game, shame I can't be at ER. Always enjoyed our visits to the King Power Stadium & Filbert Street even though we've struggled more often than not. I was last there in 2017 when you battered us in the cup

Hope it's a cracking match 

Thank you for the post, we have our fair share of fans making statements like you made also so it happens! Welcome to the forum and yes I think most people will agree that you've had a fantastic start and play some great football, however things quickly change, just ask anyone on this forum what happened post lockdown to us. Will be a good game on Monday and it may get down to who has the best tactics on the night. :appl:

14 minutes ago, 1964w said:

That's the kind man he is, a very touching moment indeed.

Hard not to root for Leeds when they're not playing us (even if I didn't have cousins from there).  Bielsa is a footballer's footballer, and he's done this the right way.  His relationship with the fans is obviously very special.

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, Pub breath said:

When you apologise for nicking Kasper off us :D  Loads of love for little Max.  Craking player and a really nice lad.

There wasn't loads of love from us when Ridsdale was publically pleading via the media for Mad Martin to walkout on City for Leeds. 

2A6945F500000578-3156168-image-a-27_1436531273912.jpg

9 minutes ago, Deeg67 said:

Hard not to root for Leeds when they're not playing us (even if I didn't have cousins from there).  Bielsa is a footballer's footballer, and he's done this the right way.  His relationship with the fans is obviously very special.

Very special Deeg

He has united the whole club, players & fans 

I think there is an element of the Emperor' New Clothes about Bielsa. He's a decent coach but not to the extent that the football media are drooling over him. Most of the difficulty of playing  against Leeds this season is their supreme fitness. Bielsa should be applauded however for Leeds' positive approach to matches.