Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Wymsey

Pre-Match: Leeds United (Away) - 2nd November 2020

On 29/10/2020 at 21:39, Wymsey said:

Same team as against Athens?

Personally would start with Barnes, Mendy and Praet.

All this 'personally' stuff is flawed since most selections are being made currently to manage 'condition' so without knowing how players mindest/condition/form in training is, its impossible really to comment.

I would like to see us simply not risk players who really need a rest, and that's it.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Buce said:

I'm a lot more confident than I would be if crowds were allowed - ER is a cauldron of noise when it's full.

Very often it can work against us as much as against opposition teams. Has happened on countless occasions.

It's heart breaking for all supporters but I think having empty stadiums is starting to benefit the sides that are coached better because that variable has been removed. 

Take Man Utd as an example, coached by a PE teacher who is demanding nothing from his players and will keep picking Pogba et al no matter what, now they've lost the advantage of a full O/T, the cracks are really showing.

Whereas the league's better managers (Hassenhutl, Rogers, Bielsa, Mourinho, Ancelotti to name a few) continue to be relatively successful.  

Edited by StrachansVolley
  • Like 3

51 minutes ago, Pub breath said:

We certainly can.  A truly wonderful human being :wub::wub:

Sorry ;)

Was wondering how highly regarded he was with you as it would be easy for him to be under appreciated given your rich history and him being part of the lowest ebb in the modern era.

There are very few players from the 2000's that hold much fondness with us during our dog muck years and I suppose Beckford would be like Matty Fryatt was for us, yet he barely gets a mention here but does seem you lot absolutely love Beckford still.

PS he was pretty mediocre for us, we all hoped he'd do the business but typified the Sven era and was never going to be a long term Nigel Pearson player. Moments of brilliance though.

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, SexyGammonFox said:

Tielemans the key player tonight for me. If he lumbers we lose, if his toes twinkle we win.

Tielemans can be vulnerable against a frenetic press, hope he can get on the ball and cope. Tempted with Praet and Maddison though but Youri is pretty much undroppable this season.

5 minutes ago, Ric Flair said:

Tielemans can be vulnerable against a frenetic press, hope he can get on the ball and cope. Tempted with Praet and Maddison though but Youri is pretty much undroppable this season.

Yes, because of the way both him and Leeds play I think Youri is uniquely vulnerable tonight. If he copes with it though and we can beat the first press and perhaps look for a slightly earlier ball for the runners then I fancy us large.

If we keep going back to the defence and Kasper tonight we're asking for trouble.

1 hour ago, StrachansVolley said:

Very often it can work against us as much as against opposition teams. Has happened on countless occasions.

It's heart breaking for all supporters but I think having empty stadiums is starting to benefit the sides that are coached better because that variable has been removed

Take Man Utd as an example, coached by a PE teacher who is demanding nothing from his players and will keep picking Pogba et al no matter what, now they've lost the advantage of a full O/T, the cracks are really showing.

Whereas the league's better managers (Hassenhutl, Rogers, Bielsa, Mourinho, Ancelotti to name a few) continue to be relatively successful.  

Yeah, I'm sure that's true - I doubt we'd have won at Man City or Arsenal in a full stadium - which supports my original point.

Dirty secret time: back in the Seventies I had a mate who was a Leeds fan and I went to a number of Utd away games with him, so I've always had a bit of a soft spot for you. That said, I hope we stuff you tonight...

Edited by Buce
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Ric Flair said:

Was wondering how highly regarded he was with you as it would be easy for him to be under appreciated given your rich history and him being part of the lowest ebb in the modern era.

There are very few players from the 2000's that hold much fondness with us during our dog muck years and I suppose Beckford would be like Matty Fryatt was for us, yet he barely gets a mention here but does seem you lot absolutely love Beckford still.

PS he was pretty mediocre for us, we all hoped he'd do the business but typified the Sven era and was never going to be a long term Nigel Pearson player. Moments of brilliance though.

It's quite a strange relationship that Leeds fans had with Beckford, certainly in his earlier days.  There were still sections of the fanbase who were criticising him for being lazy, even when he was averaging better than a goal every other game for more than a season.  There are a proportion of our fans who only seem to like a proper old fashioned blood and thunder CF, which is probably why Becchio - from that era -  was universally loved.  I would say by the time Beckford went to Everton, he'd won all those remaining doubters over.  He scored the most crucial and iconic goals we scored during those dark days and i'm not sure too many folk differentiate him from Lucas Radebe, Gordon Strachan or Norman Hunter in the legend stakes, just because we were in the lower leagues.

He always behaved with impeccable dignity when at Leeds and when he left.  He wrote an open letter to the press about his time at the club and went on various radio shows just to talk about how much the club means to him and what an amazing time he had here.  It was done in a different way to some though, you could really feel he meant every word of it, it was totally sincere.

More than anything though, he just seems like a total gent, echoed by everyone i've heard speak about him who has spent time with him.  Not enough people like Beckford in this sport so they should be cherished imo :)

Edited to say - did he nark you guys off by clapping the Leeds fans after a game at the KPS once?

Edited by Pub breath
  • Like 1

I’m apprehensive about tonight . It seems weird we are playing so well . The only game I feel we were up against it was Liverpool and then first ten minutes v City . I’ve always kept an eye on Leicester as used to work in Queniborough , and Melton Mowbray for periods of time and know a lot of Leicester fans.  Interesting to see how we attack . The only issue v Wolves was not scoring when we were all Over them . It has 0-0 all over it till the deflected goal .  I think Leicester have some cracking players so it’s good to see the match ups . 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, kyleolly said:

563F1E16-6806-4FC1-B35C-48E40BDF8864.jpeg

Yeah i like this.. Maddison later in the game for Praet/Under. If we play intelligent we know how Leeds will want to play and come at us thick and fast with numbers. Absorb that and release Vardy on the break and it could be goals goals goals for us.

1 hour ago, kyleolly said:

563F1E16-6806-4FC1-B35C-48E40BDF8864.jpeg

Pereira, Castagne and Ndidi in and 3rd or 4th could be have been a realistic possibility this year. Injuries have crippled us though and it looks like the only way we will get something from the leeds game is if we play defensive. Such a shame. This time last year (Palace Away, Brighton Away, Southampton Away etc) we were unstoppable, used to go 'mid table' sides and completely take over, man city esc really.