Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
jonthefox

The “ I’ve got something to say, but it doesn’t warrant its own thread “ thread.

4 hours ago, davieG said:

do enjoy the travels of Simon Reeve but then that's his job as in English author, journalist, adventurer, documentary filmmaker and television presenter

Absolutely this ...Simon Reeve is a pro, and excellent at his job. Martin Clunes ballooning over the Serengeti, Nadia Swahili doing the pilgrims walk to Santiago de Compostela, no thanks. 

3 hours ago, RoboFox said:

you revisit the old 'Wish You Were Here...?" shows from the 80s and 90s, it's absolutely fvcking awful

Tbh, I'd love to see them again. I might fire them up on YouTube. John Carter, from Torremolinos, highlighting the price of a pint and English breakfast. 

6 hours ago, RoboFox said:

TV tastes have changed, it's much more personality-led media now. Whether we like it or not, whoever is on screen does a lot of the heavy lifting as to whether something is watchable vs absolute crap.

Something like Rob and Romesh vs. works because they're both funny and have great chemistry. It's such an important part of whether a TV show works. Being likeable, charismatic, engaging and entertaining whilst a camera is pointed at you is much harder than it might appear. 

Sticking any old randomers, or some untested personality on screen and sending them to the arsehole of nowhere for the most part just won't get people to watch and that's the currency of TV.

If you revisit the old 'Wish You Were Here...?" shows from the 80s and 90s, it's absolutely fvcking awful. 

Source: me, am a celebrity.

Agreed, you need TV trained people to front TV shows, especially travel ones, to bring it to life. Romesh in Columbia, Zimbabwe, Antarctica was hilarious. Imagine if that was Daveo from Oldham! 'Mate where's the pool. Mate can I have a chill and read my book. Mate can we have a beach day today yeh. Lion... seen a dog just like that in Sardinia tbf'

1 minute ago, grobyfox1990 said:

Agreed, you need TV trained people to front TV shows, especially travel ones, to bring it to life. Romesh in Columbia, Zimbabwe, Antarctica was hilarious. Imagine if that was Daveo from Oldham! 'Mate where's the pool. Mate can I have a chill and read my book. Mate can we have a beach day today yeh. Lion... seen a dog just like that in Sardinia tbf'

No one's suggesting you grab some nobody off the street but there seems to be a lot of young people doing media related and history degrees who I'm sure could handle some of these fairly simple traipse across European Countries. There's been plenty of occasions where a budding 'star' has been given a chance with little experience. Blue Peter has been awash with them for years.

If it's the BBC I don't believe they should or need to pay what are going to be bigger fees.

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, davieG said:

No one's suggesting you grab some nobody off the street but there seems to be a lot of young people doing media related and history degrees who I'm sure could handle some of these fairly simple traipse across European Countries. There's been plenty of occasions where a budding 'star' has been given a chance with little experience. Blue Peter has been awash with them for years.

If it's the BBC I don't believe they should or need to pay what are going to be bigger fees.

That seems like a decent compromise

10 hours ago, davieG said:

I'm ok with programmes for celebrities as you can decide to watch or not. But all these travelogs and historical programmes do not need a celebrity presenting them even worse when they have a family member with them.

I do enjoy the travels of Simon Reeve but then that's his job as in English author, journalist, adventurer, documentary filmmaker and television presenter.

I guess the BBC got it absolutely bang on with Michael Palin's travel shows. All his series were first rate so I guess it's possible they and other broadcasters, are trying to repeat the success.

I agree though, most are downright awful imo.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Daggers said:

There’s a Tory voting mod who just can’t wrap his little head around the fact that adults can discuss things politely. 

He doth protests too much :ph34r:

This week in jersey, with the extra bank hol on Thursday for liberation day, has been a weird distorted reality. It’s been actually hot and dry all week. Loads of locals have bounced off to their houses in Italy and France, the office has been totally dead. The streets are full of old uk and French tourists, all functionally dressed, backpacks, sun protection, water bottles. Lounging around drinking coffee, reading books, burping and farting with a general stench of bored middle class comfort. It’s like I’m on some sh1t European villa holiday 

• Haha 1

Walking behind a fella yesterday who walked with a real swagger. You know, throwing his shoulders forward with each step, head gently rocking from side to side as he goes, legs more apart than necessary, feet pointing diagonally to the direction he was walking. You know the sort.

I think that they think, it looks good, that they ooze confidence, really cool.

He looked a complete twat.

• Like 1

All the issues at Co-op Live are probably brilliant for Co-op brand. People with half a brain know the issues aren't their fault of Co-op and it would never have been mentioned as many times if things were seamless.

• Like 1

On 10/05/2024 at 20:37, Bellend Sebastian said:

So when were you getting round to telling me that the London Boys were both killed in a car accident in 1996? F**k's sake

Who?

I feel football rivalries are a bit forced. I've seen a couple of people online responding to Piers Morgan in a Spurs shirt with "wouldn't wear a Forest short if you paid me". Like I would wear it down the pub all night if someone promised to buy me the beers. 

4 minutes ago, Bellend Sebastian said:

Can't believe your attitude, this is OUR song, so callous 

Their death in a car crash is one of my earliest memories. Was on holiday in Cornwall when my father woke me up with the news. Actually that could be Diana, I always get those two car crashes mixed up.

Posted (edited)
16 minutes ago, Bellend Sebastian said:

Can't believe your attitude, this is OUR song, so callous 

I loved these when I was younger. Used to do back flips on stage. Around '88? They were also German and not from London 😂 

Edited by SeCrEt FoX

1 hour ago, bovril said:

Their death in a car crash is one of my earliest memories. Was on holiday in Cornwall when my father woke me up with the news. Actually that could be Diana, I always get those two car crashes mixed up.

My brother woke me up to tell me about Princess Diana, and the other waking-me-up-with-bad-news-unnecessarily-as-it-doesn't-really-affect-me that I remember was my Dad waking me up to tell me about the Kegworth air disaster, which is a grand way to see in your birthday

1 hour ago, SeCrEt FoX said:

I loved these when I was younger. Used to do back flips on stage. Around '88? They were also German and not from London 😂 

That's what I believed but my exhaustive and thorough research suggests that although they lived in Germany they were originally from London.

I couldn't be bothered to find out why they ended up in Germany, perhaps they just enjoyed the German sense of order 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Bellend Sebastian said:

I couldn't be bothered to find out why they ended up in Germany, perhaps they just enjoyed the German sense of order 

I think many people moved to Germany in the 80s once The Ramones taught them how to count to 4 in German. I know I was very tempted until I realised I like to have five fish fingers. Not knowing the German for five or fish fingers killed the relocation plan. 

5 hours ago, Daggers said:

I think many people moved to Germany in the 80s once The Ramones taught them how to count to 4 in German. I know I was very tempted until I realised I like to have five fish fingers. Not knowing the German for five or fish fingers killed the relocation plan. 

I guess you could always order 99

9 hours ago, Bellend Sebastian said:

That's what I believed but my exhaustive and thorough research suggests that although they lived in Germany they were originally from London.

I once stayed in a hotel in Berlin around the corner from a place called "Sex Maze" with blackened out windows and a sign reminding passers by that Friday is Bi-Day.

I think it was more likely the sex maze type stuff than the German sense of order that attracted the late greased-up muscle-laden variety entertainers to the Fatherland.

5 hours ago, Vacamion said:

I once stayed in a hotel in Berlin around the corner from a place called "Sex Maze" with blackened out windows and a sign reminding passers by that Friday is Bi-Day.

I think it was more likely the sex maze type stuff than the German sense of order that attracted the late greased-up muscle-laden variety entertainers to the Fatherland.

That reminds me, I haven’t seen my sex maize recently. 

Ya meine Frau, schlag mich noch einmal mit dem Sexmais.”

Duolingo has been worth every penny. 

• Haha 1