Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
jonthefox

The “ I’ve got something to say, but it doesn’t warrant its own thread “ thread.

I've always appreciated this place, as someone with not many people or places to go to to air my opinions or vent my frustrations over whatever may be on my mind. 

However, some absolute weapon of a mod demonstrated to me this morning that only certain opinions are allowed on here now, so I'm gone after this rant. I understand certain threads on here are tightly controlled because it gets heated quickly. I have been banned from the Jamie Vardy thread for daring to suggest that we should be and can be looking for better next season rather than rely on him as a regular starter. Add to that that we shouldn't "pay him whatever he wants" because of our financial situation. Emotions are high from last night so I understand level headed thinking is sparse on here right now. So I wasn't surprised a handful of people wanted to pick me up on what I said, however it's one thing to disagree with me but to delete the posts and ban me from the thread for an honest and completely inoffensive football opinion? The **** is that all about? The sheer amount of hatred and abuse I reported multiple times a year ago in our relegation which went either unnoticed or was deemed by mods to be absolutely acceptable, but all it takes really is to have an opinion which doesn't relay amongst the majority? 

• Like 3

Honestly reckon people contributing the “Birds” thread should have some kind of court order made. I find it deeply troubling that men can happily objectify women online and not think there’s anything wrong with what they’re doing. You talk about my daughter like that, I’m going to make you feel pain like you’ve never experienced. 

• Like 2

57 minutes ago, Daggers said:

Honestly reckon people contributing the “Birds” thread should have some kind of court order made. I find it deeply troubling that men can happily objectify women online and not think there’s anything wrong with what they’re doing. You talk about my daughter like that, I’m going to make you feel pain like you’ve never experienced. 

And there are pictures of women in there that aren't Penny Mordaunt

Saw a question on social media that I thought was decent. Is there a football club at professional level in the UK that everyone likes, or more to the point no-one dislikes?

Teams with local rivals are pretty much ruled out, same for anyone with success. Only one I could think of is Carlisle United.

Posted (edited)

It's sometimes strange how things work out. Yesterday, I went to vote in the local elections and took my driving licence as id. However, it wasn't asked for by the clerk, but later I spotted that the licence's expiry date had recently passed. The expiry date is on the front and the valid until date is on the back - and they're different! I'd not received a letter from the DVLA to remind me to renew it, so it was just by pure chance that the situation came to light. Anyone who hasn't looked at their driving licence closely for a long time would perhaps be advised to check its expiry date, to avoid possibly being caught out.

Edited by String fellow

1 hour ago, String fellow said:

It's sometimes strange how things work out. Yesterday, I went to vote in the local elections and took my driving licence as id. However, it wasn't asked for by the clerk, but later I spotted that the licence's expiry date had recently passed. The expiry date is on the front and the valid until date is on the back - and they're different! I'd not received a letter from the DVLA to remind me to renew it, so it was just by pure chance that the situation came to light. Anyone who hasn't looked at their driving licence closely for a long time would perhaps be advised to check its expiry date, to avoid possibly being caught out.

Nice try Boris.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, String fellow said:

My license was acquired in 1995. Expiry is 2025.

20 hours ago, Nalis said:

Saw a question on social media that I thought was decent. Is there a football club at professional level in the UK that everyone likes, or more to the point no-one dislikes?

Teams with local rivals are pretty much ruled out, same for anyone with success. Only one I could think of is Carlisle United.

Fulham? Pleasant fans, nice traditional ground, no real big rivalries and not successful enough to annoy anyone.

• Like 1

Just now, bovril said:

Fulham? Pleasant fans, nice traditional ground, no real big rivalries and not successful enough to annoy anyone.

Just now, bovril said:

Brentford are rivals with them

21 hours ago, Nalis said:

Reading?

50 minutes ago, bovril said:

Waiting for someone to say "Wrexham" unironically 

Ditto AFC Wimbledon

45 minutes ago, bovril said:

Orient. Surely nobody dislikes them.

Good shout but West Ham might have some low key dislike following the Olympic Stadium 'tender'. Next!

9 minutes ago, grobyfox1990 said:

Reading?

Another good shout, but I think Oxford dislike them

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Corky said:

Southend.

Lived right near Roots Hall for around six years. Pretty sure I don’t remember anyone ever mentioning the Os. At best it’d be Colchester - but it would have to count as one of the most ambivalent rivalries of all time. 

25 minutes ago, LiberalFox said:

Do Wimbledon have a rivalry with anyone? 

I think MK Dons dislike their supposed smugness and some think they've shat on local sport with recent stadium moves despite their ethos.

Aside from Carlisle, does anyone in football dislike Burton Albion? They seem quite likeable and inoffensive.

3 minutes ago, Nalis said:

I think MK Dons dislike their supposed smugness and some think they've shat on local sport with recent stadium moves despite their ethos.

Aside from Carlisle, does anyone in football dislike Burton Albion? They seem quite likeable and inoffensive.

I think a lot of our fans have an intense hatred of them after the 2021 Bass Cup loss

• Haha 1

Posted (edited)
5 hours ago, The Bear said:

My normal driving licence expires in 2025. (You must be the same age as me. :thumbup:)

My LGV class 1 expired 5 years ago. When I used the licence as a form of ID, it was rejected as being out of date. They wouldn't have it that the driving licence for a car was still valid, and it was just the truck licence that had expired.

Jobsworths.

Edited by Parafox
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, The Bear said:

Apparently, licences should be renewed every 10 years with a new photo, and there's a potential fine of £1,000 for not doing so. But without a reminder letter from the DVLA, it's easy to overlook.

34 minutes ago, String fellow said:

Apparently, licences should be renewed every 10 years with a new photo, and there's a potential fine of £1,000 for not doing so. But without a reminder letter from the DVLA, it's easy to overlook.

Mine is still the paper license!

• Like 1

On 02/05/2024 at 17:28, Nalis said:

Gillingham?

Some support for S.E. London clubs in Kent/Medway towns, but no major rivalries (except Swindon, due to long-ago grudge matches)....

6 minutes ago, Alf Bentley said:

Gillingham?

Some support for S.E. London clubs in Kent/Medway towns, but no major rivalries (except Swindon, due to long-ago grudge matches)....

Fulham and Gillingham hate each other. Fulham fan killed at Gillingham in the 1990s.