Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
jonthefox

The “ I’ve got something to say, but it doesn’t warrant its own thread “ thread.

9 hours ago, Alf Bentley said:

Gillingham?

Some support for S.E. London clubs in Kent/Medway towns, but no major rivalries (except Swindon, due to long-ago grudge matches)....

I hate them for giving us Peter Taylor. 

• Haha 1

Why do Media Companies insist on hosting tours of interesting Countries and places with 'Celebrities' often with relatives.

Surely if the Country etc are visiting is interesting they don't need to pay these people what is almost certainly more £s

This is especially true of the BBC a public/licence funded company. Give these roles to newcomers trying to get a foothold into the media business. In fact every time someone at the BBC like Lineker gets 'big' send them off to ITV or some other advert funded business.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, davieG said:

Why do Media Companies insist on hosting tours of interesting Countries and places with 'Celebrities' often with relatives.

Surely if the Country etc are visiting is interesting they don't need to pay these people what is almost certainly more £s

This is especially true of the BBC a public/licence funded company. Give these roles to newcomers trying to get a foothold into the media business. In fact every time someone at the BBC like Lineker gets 'big' send them off to ITV or some other advert funded business.

Agreed! It's almost like TV companies are scared no one will watch a travel program unless they have a celeb go there. 

3 minutes ago, Bert said:

I hate people that speak on their phones using loudspeaker in public. 

I really don't get it. Holding the phone like they're about to eat a Ryvita, bellowing into the bottom of it. 

Its not like phones are explicitly designed to be held up to the side of the head or anything. 

People are idiots.

• Haha 2

5 minutes ago, Bert said:

I hate people that speak on their phones using loudspeaker in public. 

Narcissists that think everyone wants to hear about their lives and their goings on.

• Like 1

On 07/05/2024 at 18:12, davieG said:

It's like anything fun or good to watch. This would be EVEN BETTER WITH CELEBRITIES!

Countdown - great game. Fun to watch. Better do it with celebrities. They're more important. They're better. Look, John Richardson is being silly about liking the game with a bit of anti-comedy.

Masterchef - great idea. But surely celebrities can cook better than the normal folks. And they're just better. Because Tom Skinner says 'bosh' and 'laverly jaberly' and that's much better than a boring NORMAL person just doing their best.

It's endemic and it's to feed the rampant egos of these people who just HAVE to be looked at and watched. 

27 minutes ago, foxile5 said:

It's like anything fun or good to watch. This would be EVEN BETTER WITH CELEBRITIES!

Countdown - great game. Fun to watch. Better do it with celebrities. They're more important. They're better. Look, John Richardson is being silly about liking the game with a bit of anti-comedy.

Masterchef - great idea. But surely celebrities can cook better than the normal folks. And they're just better. Because Tom Skinner says 'bosh' and 'laverly jaberly' and that's much better than a boring NORMAL person just doing their best.

It's endemic and it's to feed the rampant egos of these people who just HAVE to be looked at and watched. 

I guess I'm their target audience then, because other than maybe Masterchef and Countdown I find most shows tedious. But if it's 8OOTCDC or Celebrity bake off I'll watch it. Also stuff like Travel Man I used to like. Celebs will make it more likely for me to watch it (if I like those celebs).

Taskmaster would be crap if it was just random members of the public for example. 

14 minutes ago, The Bear said:

I guess I'm their target audience then, because other than maybe Masterchef and Countdown I find most shows tedious. But if it's 8OOTCDC or Celebrity bake off I'll watch it. Also stuff like Travel Man I used to like. Celebs will make it more likely for me to watch it (if I like those celebs).

Taskmaster would be crap if it was just random members of the public for example. 

I'm ok with programmes for celebrities as you can decide to watch or not. But all these travelogs and historical programmes do not need a celebrity presenting them even worse when they have a family member with them.

I do enjoy the travels of Simon Reeve but then that's his job as in English author, journalist, adventurer, documentary filmmaker and television presenter.

6 minutes ago, davieG said:

I'm ok with programmes for celebrities as you can decide to watch or not. But all these travelogs and historical programmes do not need a celebrity presenting them even worse when they have a family member with them.

I do enjoy the travels of Simon Reeve but then that's his job as in English author, journalist, adventurer, documentary filmmaker and television presenter.

Yes I'm not keen on the celeb + mum/dad shows either. 

Posted (edited)

TV tastes have changed, it's much more personality-led media now. Whether we like it or not, whoever is on screen does a lot of the heavy lifting as to whether something is watchable vs absolute crap.

Something like Rob and Romesh vs. works because they're both funny and have great chemistry. It's such an important part of whether a TV show works. Being likeable, charismatic, engaging and entertaining whilst a camera is pointed at you is much harder than it might appear. 

Sticking any old randomers, or some untested personality on screen and sending them to the arsehole of nowhere for the most part just won't get people to watch and that's the currency of TV.

If you revisit the old 'Wish You Were Here...?" shows from the 80s and 90s, it's absolutely fvcking awful. 

Source: me, am a celebrity.

Edited by RoboFox
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, foxile5 said:

I get it, but the examples you've cited are never aired at the expense of their regular counterparts so the "this would be even better with celebrities" thing doesn't really work? They're meant to be fun alternatives to, not upgrades on. 

2 hours ago, lcfc278 said:

Narcissists that think everyone wants to hear about their lives and their goings on.

Had my AirPods in and could still hear the whole conversation. So annoying. Some people are so oblivious. 

1 minute ago, MarriedaLeicesterGirl said:

Just to say this is my first post in over a year. I has a massive cerebral hemorrhage stroke last May, and spent 5 months in hospitals. I am unable to go to games because I am prone to seizures, due to the scarring - and large crowds can contribute to the cause.

However, I completely missed the drop, because I was in a coma! So there is a good side to every tragedy!

Welcome back. Really sorry to hear about your health problems and I hope you continue to make progress in the future.

• Thanks 1

Just now, MarriedaLeicesterGirl said:

Just to say this is my first post in over a year. I has a massive cerebral hemorrhage stroke last May, and spent 5 months in hospitals. I am unable to go to games because I am prone to seizures, due to the scarring - and large crowds can contribute to the cause.

However, I completely missed the drop, because I was in a coma! So there is a good side to every tragedy!

Mate, I am incredibly sorry to hear that.  What a traumatic, scary and doubtless life changing event and I hope you continue your recovery.  

I had noticed you weren't posting and the forum has been a poorer place for it. 

Welcome back.  

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, MarriedaLeicesterGirl said:

Just to say this is my first post in over a year. I had a massive cerebral hemorrhage stroke last May, and spent 5 months in hospitals. I am unable to go to games because I am prone to seizures, due to the scarring - and large crowds can contribute to the cause.

Wow. Welcome back and all best wishes to you and yours. 

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, MarriedaLeicesterGirl said:

Just to say this is my first post in over a year. I had a massive cerebral hemorrhage stroke last May, and spent 5 months in hospitals. I am unable to go to games because I am prone to seizures, due to the scarring - and large crowds can contribute to the cause.

Shit. Apart from that, everything OK?

Is the stroke something we could blame Rudkin for?

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, MarriedaLeicesterGirl said:

Bloody hell! I'm very sorry to hear that and hope you are recovering well. Good to have you back with us.

• Thanks 1

Just now, Daggers said:

Shit. Apart from that, everything OK?

Okay is relative - the stroke was massive. However, I am doing better than the medical staff was possible. I have far surpassed the "best case scenario" given to my wife, and well past the "most likely outcome if he lives" outcome.

But truth be told, I missed the gory bits - I was in a coma for the first half of the hospitals (first two in Nottingham, second two here in Leicester.) My wife dealt with the worst parts.

But I can walk, talk without a slur, and at work full-time, so shouldn't complain (not that stops me...)

• Like 4

Posted (edited)
25 minutes ago, Daggers said:

I blame Rodgers... I spent most of the games that season saying, "Is he trying to lose?" And then would lose...

Attached is an actual work WhatsApp bit I posted on the staff line, answering my bosses congrats...

Screenshot_20240509_150241_WhatsApp.jpg

Edited by MarriedaLeicesterGirl
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, SouthStandUpperTier said:

On the subject of celebrity travelogues. Bet you're all wetting yourselves in anticipation of this one...

https://www.echo-news.co.uk/news/24301747.rylan-clark-rob-rinder-tour-europe-new-bbc-series/

This is a great example of my moan.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, MarriedaLeicesterGirl said:

Well done with your battle here's to a continual improvement Best Wishes.

• Thanks 1