Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
urban.spaceman

Leeds A Post Match Thread

4 minutes ago, SecretPro said:

Where did all the Leeds fans from the pre-match thread go? 

Edit: Fvck knows how I managed to post that twice. Must be the hardwiring in the FoxesTalk tech telling me it's a valid point.

Edited by LCCFox96

7 minutes ago, LCCFox96 said:

Deciding whether the injury to the winger with two substitute appearances or the CB who has never played for them was the more crucial miss and biggest justification for the defeat I think mate. 

Castagne, Evans, Ricardo, Soyuncu, Ndidi.

Was in the pub in North Yorkshire (thank god I wasn’t in Leeds as I’d have been a nervous wreck). Old Leeds fans who I’d imagine are far too well off to even go to Leeds, were telling each other how many millions of pounds worth of players Leeds were missing... and breathe. 

• Like 2

37 minutes ago, Leeds Fox said:

Albrighton, Fuchs, Thomas, Justin, Fofana (4 weeks ago), would be terrifying additions as a group to see line up against an all action Leeds Utd. Every one of them stood up today. 

Praet and Tielemens. Allowed enough space for the passes and intercepted almost every one of them. Both of them were class. Praet is a battler, who can break, pass, carry and whatever else he needs to. 

Vardy... unplayable. I said that to my old man after 15 minutes and he never stopped. 

Kasper, won the 1v1s with Bamford which was as game changing as Vardy is.

Barnes, electric. Poor condition might be a fair excuse for him not to bag more.

Fofana... did we notice him? Did we need to. He’s Evans and Soyuncu rolled into one. What a boy! 

Rodgers’ subs were spot on.

The only negative, when Maddison came on, after watching that first hour, he must’ve known going down easily wasn’t going to buy a foul. That’s exactly what he did a couple of times. Still, carried the ball well, transitioned play well. 

30 minutes ago, SO1 said:

Maddison comedy gold when he first came on. Somebody called the slip and fall in the prematch as well.

I think this is the reason Maddison didn't get the pen in the first instance. He needs to cut it out a bit, it will get held against him.

Credit to Marriner, I thought he had a very good game and he really let it flow where most other PL refs would've blown (both ways) for some soft shite, but I think he probably knew as well as any of us that Maddison goes down softly and that may well have contributed to Madders not getting the pen. Made his mind up quickly when he saw it again, which I like.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Gamble92 said:

Leeds did okay second half but baring a freak goal and long shot they were actually reduced to hopeless crosses into the area that had zero effect.

Alot of possession doesnt mean they come close to the genuine domination we had first half.

Completely agree. For all of the ball they had, they really didn't challenge Kasper or our CBs much at all. They had a lot of corners and had the ball in wide areas a fair bit but they really didn't do all that much with it.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, ajthefox said:

I think this is the reason Maddison didn't get the pen in the first instance. He needs to cut it out a bit, it will get held against him.

Credit to Marriner, I thought he had a very good game and he really let it flow where most other PL refs would've blown (both ways) for some soft shite, but I think he probably knew as well as any of us that Maddison goes down softly and that may well have contributed to Madders not getting the pen. Made his mind up quickly when he saw it again, which I like.

Agreed. There were a few where I was expecting a free kick and he didn’t give it, but then let play run when they went down for similar. After looking at them all again (on the replays) they were all soft and I’d be p!ssed off had they been given against me on a Saturday. 

I did call that he’d be too arrogant to give the Maddison penalty though and he gave it after having a look. Fair play. Maybe he was just clever enough to afford himself the opportunity to have another look at it.

• Like 1

What I enjoyed most about the win was the period about 5 minutes from the end, where we kept the ball pinned back in their left back spot for about 2-3 minutes. Maddison had played himself into a hole, but Under came in to support him, and then Tielemans joined in. Between the three of them they just kept battling for each other and passing the ball in a triangle to run down the clock and frustrate Leeds. When Leeds did eventually clear it, it went straight to Albrighton who retained possesion with a pass to Mendy.

I was like how I remember watching Man Utd play under Ferguson, they were great players but the team came first, and there was always at least two players willing to put the effort in to help out a team mate, even when they had run themselves into trouble due to being over elaborate. Supporting in packs and not letting the opposition settle on the board.

I can't explain what has happened between the post lockdown end of last season when we collapsed, I can only imagine it was a loss of confidence following the Bournmouth calamanity match, but this season Brendan is playing with the same deck of cards, but somehow managing to pull out a winning hand.

Realisitically, Leeds are a newly promoted team, fancy manager or otherwise, and as an established top half \ top six outfit we should be putting them to the sword, but the fact we did, along with beating both Man City and Arsenal away from home already in the season really bodes well for us.

I still think we will lose to Man Utd - they are our new bogey team. But when you're Leicester City and your bogey team is Man Utd, that certainly is progress. Last season it was the 1-2 knockout punch against Liverpool and Man City over Christmas that took the wind out of our sails, and then for whatever reason, after lockdown we just had a shocker and had taken our eye off the ball.

I feel Brendan and the squad have learnt from this, and there will be ups and downs, but we have recruited well (again), have a host of first team players to come back, and a manager that seems to be learning from his mistakes and a great blend of experience and youth throughout the team.

My only concerns for the future are what the hell we do when Vardy retires, hopefully we can get one more season out of him after this one, and what happens if Utd sack Solskjaer and come sniffing around Rodgers....

• Like 4

42 minutes ago, SO1 said:

Sounds like I should go back to reading the Mail from the Guardian for Football News. Better looking girls as well.

Their articles on Football news are of the highest quality but i wouldn't suggest other sections like Politics as it's biased and toxic.

1 minute ago, casablancas said:

Sounds about right. But how is this relevant? 

Just people saying it's our best start to a PL season since Peter Taylor, and that didn't end too well!

Nothing too serious, just a little late night jest :beer:

Edited by jim5000

Excellent result tonight, great team performance. I wasn't confident pre match but then the only match I've been confident this season was West Ham....

Been looking forward to a team giving the 'mighty Leeds' a spanking, delighted it was us. 

3 minutes ago, FoyleFox said:

Excellent result tonight, great team performance. I wasn't confident pre match but then the only match I've been confident this season was West Ham....

Been looking forward to a team giving the 'mighty Leeds' a spanking, delighted it was us. 

I've found out a slight curse. Every single time I place a bet on Leicester (2-3 times a season - I'm not a gambling man as I always lose), we lose. I bet £20 on us to beat West Ham as we had just hammered Man City, and a further £10 on Harvey Barnes to score first :teehee:

I think, if I just stay off PaddyPower on our matchdays, we will have  much greater chance of winning.

• Like 2

Leeds/Bielsa came up to the PL thinking that they could smother other teams by overloading their team too high over other teams and effectively dominate them. As with most teams that are promoted there is an air of uncertainty however just like Norwhich who mainly stuck with their existing squad when promoted, they soon get caught out and then lack the quality and experience in the leugue overall. I think they'll stay up if only to keep playing the same way with the same intensity due to lack of games. But they've been found out by us and wolves now and I'd expect most teams in the PL to shove them down the table where they belong by playing the same way. When their supporters talk about being better, and only a few years behind us Development wise, I cant help but think with that attitude that they'll get complacent and fast.

• Like 1

Easily the most satisfying win for me this year. I like the player selection and the much improved positivity (except for a period in the middle). If I am to find fault it was when we still had a few back passes in the middle of the game when we should have passed forward after getting into a good position. Apart from that, I really enjoy watching Mendy in the middle, Fuchs on the left with Thomas, Vardy of course, Tielemans bossing the midfield, and Under being unleashed. I just wish to watch a game where both Under and Barnes could play on either side of Vardy. That would be lethal!

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, UHDrive said:

Leeds/Bielsa came up to the PL thinking that they could smother other teams by overloading their team too high over other teams and effectively dominate them. As with most teams that are promoted there is an air of uncertainty however just like Norwhich who mainly stuck with their existing squad when promoted, they soon get caught out and then lack the quality and experience in the leugue overall. I think they'll stay up if only to keep playing the same way with the same intensity due to lack of games. But they've been found out by us and wolves now and I'd expect most teams in the PL to shove them down the table where they belong by playing the same way. When their supporters talk about being better, and only a few years behind us Development wise, I cant help but think with that attitude that they'll get complacent and fast.

That is a bit harsh. They did spend some €100m on new players (their record signing had to sit out this game due to COVID quarantine). They are having a better start to the season compared to Norwich last year. Bielsa is a hugely respectable coach and I admire the way they try to play - positive attacking football. I much rather that then anti-football played by the likes of Burnley or teams that just try to park the bus in order to scrap a draw. Just like us, they will learn from this. They are just coming back up from absolute bottom and I wish them luck.

Edited by Tom12345