Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
urban.spaceman

Leeds A Post Match Thread

18 hours ago, Paninistickers said:

I didn't see it, tbh. If you'd have told me that xi was west Brom, I'd consider them nailed on for relegation. 

I was concerned pre match as I had, to an extent, swallowed the hype about Leeds'. But, I didn't see any obvious or recognisable tactical structure from them...

Wolves had from the get go an identifiable structure...three big centre halves hurling the ball into channels and general quick switches of play to the opposite flank .... Using the more skilful players up front

Leeds just looked like a naïve championship club to me

Could that game have been more of an indication as to how good we are more so than how bad Leeds are?

We beat Man City by the same score margin..

2 hours ago, gw_leics772 said:

I had a meltdown at half time against arsenal but with hindsight I decided to watch more carefully and even appreciate the long backpasses. The opposition attackers chase the ball, they all move up and create space for us to play through them. 

What a difference a few months make. It's not that simple, of course it's not, but the players seem to buy into it now and know what is expected of them. The biggest problem we had post lock down was players inexplicably going into hiding. No runners off the ball. Certainly can't say that about this game. 

Siege mentality is a big part of our history, and BR has pulled off some absolute masterstrokes.

It could be more difficult to choose the right option when there are numerous to choose from, but Tbf be fair to him, not many would have called the frankly weird and scary starting line ups that have won our last 3 PL away games. 

Time to try not to overthink it as fans, and leave him to it, but accept that it won't be this good every game. Could be difficult though because this season is there for the taking, like 2015-16, and if the bookies are right, we will be top of the English football pyramid come 18:30 Sunday night. 

Exciting times. 

So fun to watch posters become unglued at the lineups in the Match day threads. You think they would have figured it out by now:facepalm: 

On 03/11/2020 at 02:03, UpTheLeagueFox said:

Fuchs, Albrighton: Not good enough anymore, shouldn’t be near the first team
Thomas, Justin: Not good enough yet, shouldn’t be near the first team
Tielemans: Fat, slow, disinterested
Rodgers: Lost the dressing room after our epic bottlejob, doesn’t have a Plan B, not good enough for where we should be, tactically clueless, relegation battle incoming
Barnes: Can’t finish, will end up in the Championship
Fofana: “I’ve got a bad feeling about this signing.”
Congerton: Terrible at recruitment
Mendy: We should’ve got a top CDM for when Ndidi isn’t playing
Vardy: Too one dimensional, past his best, Claude was right to try and move us on from him
Praet: Offers nothing much, fallen out with Rodgers, squad player at best
Squad depth: Not enough quality for when we have injuries, can't cope with PL & Europe

What else can we add to the ‘Nostradamus Miserable Buggers FT Bingo Card’ ?

On 03/11/2020 at 02:07, HighPeakFox said:

Winning: Got lucky, not a tactical masterclass.

On 03/11/2020 at 02:27, trabuch said:

I don't think that is fair tbh. Fans get a bit emotional and say stupid things sometimes. But I don't think anyone truly believes that - and it's a bit of a low blow. I expect better from you. In fact - you can add "expect better from @UpTheLeagueFox " to that list lol

And to take you all with my on my now epic mood swings, which are back in the happy for some inexplicable reason (could be football related)... 

You could just as easily cherry pick the optimistic/positive comments and use them when we don't play as well. 

Let's all agree to just abusing the visiting away fans 😂, as we know, they don't tend to hang around after we beat them so no harm done 😱

Ps. I'll try to stay away from 2am marathon binges but no promises, (guess it depends on our results 😱😇🤐

1 hour ago, gw_leics772 said:

You could just as easily cherry pick the optimistic/positive comments and use them when we don't play as well. 

You mean the people who try to balance out the auto-misery embedded in a proportion of posters? There's a danger of false equivalence in this.

• Like 2

On 03/11/2020 at 02:03, UpTheLeagueFox said:

Fuchs, Albrighton: Not good enough anymore, shouldn’t be near the first team
Thomas, Justin: Not good enough yet, shouldn’t be near the first team
Tielemans: Fat, slow, disinterested
Rodgers: Lost the dressing room after our epic bottlejob, doesn’t have a Plan B, not good enough for where we should be, tactically clueless, relegation battle incoming
Barnes: Can’t finish, will end up in the Championship
Fofana: “I’ve got a bad feeling about this signing.”
Congerton: Terrible at recruitment
Mendy: We should’ve got a top CDM for when Ndidi isn’t playing
Vardy: Too one dimensional, past his best, Claude was right to try and move us on from him
Praet: Offers nothing much, fallen out with Rodgers, squad player at best
Squad depth: Not enough quality for when we have injuries, can't cope with PL & Europe

What else can we add to the ‘Nostradamus Miserable Buggers FT Bingo Card’ ?

Don’t forget Cengiz.

Written off after 20 bloody minutes against West Ham as “meh”, “knockaert Mark II” and “uninspiring”.

or

”Newcastle are now better than us”. Because they had signed Wilson and Fraser.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, gw_leics772 said:

And to take you all with my on my now epic mood swings, which are back in the happy for some inexplicable reason (could be football related)... 

Let's all agree to just abusing the visiting away fans 😂, as we know, they don't tend to hang around after we beat them so no harm done 😱

Ps. I'll try to stay away from 2am marathon binges but no promises, (guess it depends on our results 😱😇🤐

I'd personally prefer if people weren't as manic-depressive on here. It's tedious to read opinions about the team and manager go from one extreme to the other.
Give me a balanced assessment any day (win or lose) and if pressed, I'd rather read positive/optimistic comments than people's frustrated outbursts which tend to contain undeserved and over-the-top criticism.

• Like 4

34 minutes ago, Mickyblueeyes said:

Don’t forget Cengiz.

Written off after 20 bloody minutes against West Ham as “meh”, “knockaert Mark II” and “uninspiring”.

or

”Newcastle are now better than us”. Because they had signed Wilson and Fraser.

That's just nonsense.  People asked and others gave an honest assessment of first impression but the ones that I read were careful to qualify it by saying that he needs to adapt and will take time to settle as Rodgers said himself.  

I particularly dislike this kind of blanket smearing of FT posters.  Unsubstantiated and exaggerated pseudo quotes and somehow attributed to the majority of FT as if it were a single entity.  It doesn't apply to the poster making the allegations of course.  No, they're much better than that.  They belong to the self-appointed elite, tolerant and thoughtful posters.  That is the intended implication anyway.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, murphy said:

That's just nonsense.  People asked and others gave an honest assessment of first impression but the ones that I read were careful to qualify it by saying that he needs to adapt and will take time to settle as Rodgers said himself.  

I particularly dislike this kind of blanket smearing of FT posters.  Unsubstantiated and exaggerated pseudo quotes and somehow attributed to the majority of FT as if it were a single entity.  It doesn't apply to the poster making the allegations of course.  No, they're much better than that.  They belong to the self-appointed elite, tolerant and thoughtful posters.  That is the intended implication anyway.

Ah, come on, that is a bit of a poor comment. I was responding to a list of exaggerated and unsubstantiated claims. I took the original posters comments as a bit of banter - not at all serious. Football fans have a tendency to exaggerate especially when the team is losing. Read the Under topic to see the comments made. Its unfair to judge any player after such a short period of play in a game where the more experienced players are having an off game too - I'll stand by that. It was too early to make any sort of judgement. Its also ridiculous to suggest those comments are associated with the "majority" of FT posters - it quite clearly isnt. I am sure if you tried to you will see that I have made ridiculous posts (I think I called for a new director of football not that long ago!) in the past - its all part of being on a forum. The internet opens those who have made somewhat snap judgements more accountable. Whether that is a good thing or not is another question. My point is, don't take criticism so personal. 

My post yesterday was clearly meant with tongue firmly in cheek, which most will have realised, but I understand for some it will touch a nerve.

Maybe having a deep breath, a short pace back, before going two footed on manager/players before/during/after a game however might make the more extreme posts age a little better.

• Like 4

3 hours ago, HighPeakFox said:

I never quite understand why someone takes offence at a non-poster specific criticism of a certain style of contribution. 

I wouldn't say that I take offence, more a little irritated, but perhaps I am a cranky so and so.  For instance, if I read the phrase there's a player in there somewhere or worse, different gravy it makes me want to pull my eyes out.

This has actually bugged me slightly for ages.  In fact it is the non-specific nature of it that I find most annoying.  If somebody makes an aggressive, over the top or unpleasant post, I don't have a problem with them being taken to task, but this is a recurring theme and often it is entirely imagined or exaggerated.  If I had to put my finger on it I'd say it's a combination of condescension and self congratulation that I find slightly nauseating.

I'm going to stop myself there.  If truth be told I actually wrote a much longer post before realising that this is not the place for it.  

• Like 1

4 hours ago, UpTheLeagueFox said:

My post yesterday was clearly meant with tongue firmly in cheek, which most will have realised, but I understand for some it will touch a nerve.

Maybe having a deep breath, a short pace back, before going two footed on manager/players before/during/after a game however might make the more extreme posts age a little better.

You miss the point.  I'm not defending extreme posts and you were not responding to any.  You just listed a load of players and put imagined ignorant posts next them that no one had actually said.  You just made it up.  I read such posts (and they're as common as they are tedious) as a kind of self congratulation for being above the standard FT pleb.

Now normally I pass these by with just a flicker of a grimace and normally I consider you a good poster (aswell as HPF and Mikeyblueeyes) just as long as you're not talking about Saint Claude.  Perhaps it's just the cumulative affect.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, shen said:

I'd personally prefer if people weren't as manic-depressive on here. It's tedious to read opinions about the team and manager go from one extreme to the other.
Give me a balanced assessment any day (win or lose) and if pressed, I'd rather read positive/optimistic comments than people's frustrated outbursts which tend to contain undeserved and over-the-top criticism.

But Not everybody has The eye of 2nd light, like we do.....

Plus being optimistic is just not in the foxestalk character ,something in the East-midlands ground water...:ill:

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, murphy said:

You miss the point.  I'm not defending extreme posts and you were not responding to any.  You just listed a load of players and put imagined ignorant posts next them that no one had actually said.  You just made it up.  I read such posts (and they're as common as they are tedious) as a kind of self congratulation for being above the standard FT pleb.

Now normally I pass these by with just a flicker of a grimace and normally I consider you a good poster (aswell as HPF and Mikeyblueeyes) just as long as you're not talking about Saint Claude.  Perhaps it's just the cumulative affect.

I understand fully about cumulative effect. I think that's actually what bugs Geoff in this instance in fact! A lot of what he paraphrased actually HAS been said... Just not by you. It really isn't condescension, it's just taking the piss, and there's plenty enough of that goes on here. 

21 hours ago, gw_leics772 said:

I had a meltdown at half time against arsenal but with hindsight I decided to watch more carefully and even appreciate the long backpasses. The opposition attackers chase the ball, they all move up and create space for us to play through them. 

What a difference a few months make. It's not that simple, of course it's not, but the players seem to buy into it now and know what is expected of them. The biggest problem we had post lock down was players inexplicably going into hiding. No runners off the ball. Certainly can't say that about this game. 

Siege mentality is a big part of our history, and BR has pulled off some absolute masterstrokes.

It could be more difficult to choose the right option when there are numerous to choose from, but Tbf be fair to him, not many would have called the frankly weird and scary starting line ups that have won our last 3 PL away games. 

Time to try not to overthink it as fans, and leave him to it, but accept that it won't be this good every game. Could be difficult though because this season is there for the taking, like 2015-16, and if the bookies are right, we will be top of the English football pyramid come 18:30 Sunday night. 

Exciting times. 

I know what you mean and the reason, but the team still often makes the mistake of when to make the long backpasses. 90% of the times we end up losing the ball or nothing comes of it. Whereas we would have had a great chance if we had hit it forward. It is even more baffling when we sends in our CBs to the front for a freekick and then we kick it all the way back to the half way line and we end up don’t doing anything and the CBs had to run back. The problem is some times the players don’t even look up and forward (Hamza still does it a lot) - so they dont even give themselves a chance.  Many other teams I see do it way better. 

But yeah, I am just addressing the backpassing aspect. Indeed it is exciting times.

Edited by Tom12345
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, kyleolly said:

I don’t think our fans have a great deal of faith in Rogers and believed in the Leeds hype and Bielsa ball bollocks before the game, Rogers had a bad post lockdown but he knows what he’s doing believe in the man and the boys 

People forget also that he's 47 - it's very likely his best years of management are ahead of him.

• Like 1