Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
urban.spaceman

Leeds A Post Match Thread

Well if we  can put a performance like that with a weakened side bloody hell we can be amazing with a full strength side !!

Great game with what I saw because being at work but saw some highlights, Vardy and Barnes were amazing with also some individual performances to cheer about over the park especially Under again feeding Vards for his goal can’t wait to see him in full flow and form. 
we've now accrued more points this season in  7 games that we did on our title winning season, let’s hope the lads now can keep up this great form and carry it on to keep us in the top 4 places !

9 hours ago, Vacamion said:

Go on Sky.

Maybe try again with that 1st question to Brendan pre match about how awesome Leeds are.

lol

Real credit to Brendan on how he managed to keep a straight face to that question.

(I'd like to have seen the interviewer trying to ask Pearson a question like that.   I reckon "ostrich" would've been in the answer.)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Markyblue said:

Really, there were people taking relegation after a 0-0 pre season friendly, lets not pretend people on here ain't fickle, thats by no means the majority but it certainly does exist. 

I thought we would struggle.  Not relegation, but struggle and that's because we had acquired something like 22pts from our last 20 games.  Relegation form.  I'm really impressed by the way we've managed to turn it all around this year.

I don't think that 'fickle' is the word that you're looking for.  Pessimistic maybe, but it's certainly not fickle.

Incidentally, if we can play this well with the worst injury crisis that I can remember, it makes last season's collapse all the more mystifying.  It would seem that we can't blame the injuries we had now.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, murphy said:

Incidentally, if we can play this well with the worst injury crisis that I can remember, it makes last season's collapse all the more mystifying.  It would seem that we can't blame the injuries we had now.

Maybe, as several people have suggested elsewhere, last season was a necessity to learn from. Plus, I think, an unhappy player has been sold, the players are buying in to BR more and BR himself has added some pragmatism to his armoury. AND we had no time to cope with the injuries before summer, once it was apparent that confidence had been lost - players like Mendy have had time to settle and grow.

• Like 3

5 hours ago, knitro said:

Let's get that additional year extension out to Fuchs now. 

Also for some laughs, here's a Leeds fan post-game thread: 

I had a look on one of their forums in their pre match prediction thread. 4 pages, not one prediction of a City win. Lovely to put them back in their box 

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Paddy. said:

That moment when we went 3-1 up...

Tyler: "Well, Rodgers does have the better players."

Smith: "...and they're much more experienced."

Couldn't possibly be that Rodgers totally out-thought the massively overrated Bielsa could it?

I thought that! The bias towards Leeds is so strange and, like I said, they aren't even that good.

I said pre match we could get at their defence. It's shocking.

Anyway whenever we lose to Liverpool/Man City I'm just gonna role out the "they have better players".

Tyler was willing Leeds to score.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, M0901 said:

Serious question here.

Why oh why, do I consistently see posters on here quite literally admitting defeat BEFORE the whistle?

I think there's a huge element of people hedging their bets.

If you say we're crap and going to lose, and we lose, you can say "I told you so". 

But if we win, you can say "I'm delighted with that win, and happy to be proved wrong".

It's a sort of "win win" situation for those people ... although I'm not sure if they are actually aware they're doing it for that reason.

• Like 3

35 minutes ago, Paninistickers said:

I didn't see it, tbh. If you'd have told me that xi was west Brom, I'd consider them nailed on for relegation. 

I was concerned pre match as I had, to an extent, swallowed the hype about Leeds'. But, I didn't see any obvious or recognisable tactical structure from them...

Wolves had from the get go an identifiable structure...three big centre halves hurling the ball into channels and general quick switches of play to the opposite flank .... Using the more skilful players up front

Leeds just looked like a naïve championship club to me

I’m taking their season so far as a whole, I think they’ve been half decent tbf.

Fullham and WBA are far inferior, I reckon they’ll end up mid table all told.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, HighPeakFox said:

Maybe, as several people have suggested elsewhere, last season was a necessity to learn from. Plus, I think, an unhappy player has been sold, the players are buying in to BR more and BR himself has added some pragmatism to his armoury. AND we had no time to cope with the injuries before summer, once it was apparent that confidence had been lost - players like Mendy have had time to settle and grow.

Mendy has grown?..

What, he's 5ft and a fag paper now?..😂

16 minutes ago, HighPeakFox said:

Maybe, as several people have suggested elsewhere, last season was a necessity to learn from...

I don't really buy into that.  I think that a negative experience usually creates a hangover going into the following season rather than a galvanising force.  Take Watford's heavy cup final defeat for example.  I would have expected the players to have taken quite a psychological battering, but who knows?  If the team were able to regroup with renewed vigour it shows an impressive collective mental fortitude which is pretty much what I thought we were lacking.

26 minutes ago, HighPeakFox said:

Plus, I think, an unhappy player has been sold, the players are buying in to BR more and BR himself has added some pragmatism to his armoury. AND we had no time to cope with the injuries before summer, once it was apparent that confidence had been lost - players like Mendy have had time to settle and grow.

I agree that Rodgers does seem to adapted and become more open to new approaches.  Perhaps it has improved him as a manager.  He has been outstanding this season.

Whatever it was, I'm going to make a promise to myself not to mention it again.  I'm over it now.  Honest!

People talking about when our injured players get back to fitness. Quite frankly if we carry on like this we wont be able to pick our best 11 as, to a man, they are all as good as each other in their respective positions. Ndidi will not walk back into the team the way our Midfield is playing. Which Is great as we clearly brought him back too soon in his last injury period. We can also take our time bringing in Ricardo and Castagne.

A fantastic position to be in

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, murphy said:

I don't really buy into that.  I think that a negative experience usually creates a hangover going into the following season rather than a galvanising force.  Take Watford's heavy cup final defeat for example.  I would have expected the players to have taken quite a psychological battering, but who knows?  If the team were able to regroup with renewed vigour it shows an impressive collective mental fortitude which is pretty much what I thought we were lacking.

It can go either way. Look at what happened in 14/15 and onwards when we learned how to win. Look at the Watford play off defeat. So much of it is down to circumstances and who is involved. I quite accept that often, people go the other way however. 

Think we were always gonna score at least 3 against Leeds with the way they play. It’s attacking football but it’s naive to play like this in the prem, especially when you have Vardy at the other end of the pitch.

Leeds had a good spell but after they pulled one back but other than the chance that hit the woodwork we still created many more clear cut chances after.

Leeds throw so many players forward but if they keep playing like this I can see them conceding the most goals in the prem.

32 minutes ago, Fox92 said:

I thought that! The bias towards Leeds is so strange and, like I said, they aren't even that good.

Anyway whenever we lose to Liverpool/Man City I'm just gonna role out the "they have better players".

The disappointment in both Tyler's and Alan Smith's voice when Youri put the penalty away lol

• Haha 1

30 minutes ago, Fox92 said:

I'm sure I heard them use the personal pronoun 'we' when saying what Leeds need to do then quickly changed it to 'they'

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Pub breath said:

Go ahead :D

It's pretty telling that we have only had one other 3 goal defeat under Bielsa that I can recall and it was against a team set up exactly as Leicester did last night.  It's absolutely no secret that the most effective way to counter Leeds' domination of the ball is to play that way, the difference between Leicester and most championship clubs that tried it is that Leicester have the caliber of players to make it work.  You were frighting on the counter attack and in vardy and Barnes, you have an electric couple of players who would worry any defence.

I said before the game that Leicester are likely to be a problem team for us as you set up in exactly the way we struggle against and so it proved.  The Kalvin Phillips shaped hole in front of our defence was there for all to see and the only other player we have in that position is Forshaw, who is also out.  We looked very fragile at the back because they lost their protection.  A bigger blow was losing Rodrigo and Raphinia just before the start.  That meant that 3 of our 4 big money summer signings were out and you basically faced a weakened version of our championship team + Koch, who had an absolute mare.  It was a harsh lesson indeed and we simply don't yet have the depth that you enjoy.

All that said, i've rarely - if ever - seen us look so disjointed.  Simple passes missed, low energy levels, errors, nervousness and very little invention or guile in our link ups.  I've perhaps only seen us play like that once or twice since Bielsa.  I guess you coped with the conditions better than we did but I also just think we had a horrible off-night where nothing really worked and we looked inert.  It happens.  You lost 3-0 to West Ham.  You can't have off days in this league, you'll get spanked, well and truly.  I do still wonder if the result may still have looked quite different had Pablo's shot gone in and not hit the woodwork, momentum can be a critical aspect in football.

Mercifully, we bounce back well after defeats and I expected to get regular lessons this season so i'm not too down this morning.  I actually enjoyed seeing Barnes and Vardy link up the way they did.  So many teams wanted to try and play that way against Leeds in the Championship, Leicester showed them how it's done.  You're probably one of the best counter attacking teams in the whole of football, it's absolutely devastating.

Well done, you look like you're set to have a very strong season again, it's impressive and heartening how Leicester have stayed around the top over the last few years.  Been good chatting on here recently and will keep popping in from time to time :)

Well done for fronting up so soon and with a measured response.

One thing I will take issue with is that I don't think under normal circumstances we would have set up as we did last night.  Those circumstances being six first teamers out including our entire back four and statistically the best defensive midfielder in the league.  In recent years we have become a possession based team but we have changed our style out of necessity this year.  I think we will see a very different game in the return fixture.

Guest Markyblue
3 minutes ago, Sol thewall Bamba said:

The disappointment in both Tyler's and Alan Smith's voice when Youri put the penalty away lol

Smith even basically said its easy scoring a pen when your 3/1 up in the 90th minute.... so what you arsenal melt.