Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
davieG

Where were you when........

They say we remember exactly where we were and what we were doing when certain events happen in our lives. Sometimes these are referred to as flashbulb memories.

As the title says:-

Where were you when a significant event happened in your life?

• Like 1

For me it was the assassination of John F Kennedy. I was at a young and impressionable age and he seemed like a breath of fresh in those heightened times of the Cold war, The Vietnam War and The Racial Tensions in the USA.

I was in the cinema on my own watching coincidently The Longest Day a film about the D Day landings, I'm slightly ashamed to admit I was actually bunking off from my College evening class because I was struggling to get to grips with it. Although in my defence it was a subject, Electronics I later found was completely wrong for me and involve 3 nights a week plus a Saturday morning whilst also doing an 8.00 to 5.00 week.

They actually stopped showing the film halfway though and closed the cinema. I can't imagine that happening today.

So this is something that sticks so strongly in my mind even after all these years.

I was in Dominos at the top of Narborough Road when I found out Michael Jackson had died. Dunno why that sticks in the mind. Maybe because I was poor and tended to get the cheap shit pizzas from Queens past the bridge and Dominos was a real treat. Maybe it was because Michael Jackson died.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, jonthefox said:

I remember waking up half asleep half pissed on a Sunday morning to play football. I turned on the news to find out Diana had died. 

I'd just moved house on that day and had just got the TV working, switched it on and that was on the news.

2 minutes ago, jonthefox said:

I remember waking up half asleep half pissed on a Sunday morning to play football. I turned on the news to find out Diana had died. 

My dad wouldnt let me play football with my mate that Sunday morning as we should stay inside as a mark of respect. Such a crock of shit, he wasnt even a royalist ffs haha.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

21 minutes ago, davieG said:

For me it was the assassination of John F Kennedy. I was at a young and impressionable age and he seemed like a breath of fresh in those heightened times of the Cold war, The Vietnam War and The Racial Tensions in the USA.

I was in the cinema on my own watching coincidently The Longest Day a film about the D Day landings, I'm slightly ashamed to admit I was actually bunking off from my College evening class because I was struggling to get to grips with it. Although in my defence it was a subject, Electronics I later found was completely wrong for me and involve 3 nights a week plus a Saturday morning whilst also doing an 8.00 to 5.00 week.

They actually stopped showing the film halfway though and closed the cinema. I can't imagine that happening today.

So this is something that sticks so strongly in my mind even after all these years.

You weren't with my Dad were you? He was also at the cinema having bunked college! 

Edit: just noticed you were on your own.

Edited by Rain King
  • Like 1

Just now, StanSP said:

I was at home when we beat Arsenal away for the first time ever in the Premier League.

What a moment :wub:

I remember it well.

4 minutes ago, Rain King said:

You weren't with my Dad were you? He was also at the cinema having bunked college! 

Edit: just noticed you were on your own.

Coincidence though.

• Like 1

9/11. Was in year 11 at school. Wasn't mentioned at school and before smartphones. Got home, family still at work so went straight round to see the girlfriend and took her dog for a long walk, none the wiser.

Wasn't until about 8pm we found out about it and spent the whole night watching in disbelief.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, davieG said:

It must be way past your bedtime Davie 

lol

(just kidding - I was going with JFK too but was away on a cricket tour at the time of Princess Di ‘s Death and that seems as clear in my memory as if it was yesterday )

8 minutes ago, surrifox said:

It must be way past your bedtime Davie 

lol

(just kidding - I was going with JFK too but was away on a cricket tour at the time of Princess Di ‘s Death and that seems as clear in my memory as if it was yesterday )

Free Sleepy Smiley Cliparts, Download Free Clip Art, Free Clip Art on  Clipart Library

I was 9 yrs old and in a park with my dad when England won in '66. My dad hated Germany and was so convinced we'd lose he took me away to avoid feeling humiliated by the "krauts".

I was DJ at The Carousel fun pub on Charles Street when Elvis died and when Diana was killed I was in the car with my wife wondering why the radio was playing bland tunes with no words. 

Edited by Parafox

The moment Leicester won the league. I was somewhere in deep dark Leicestershire driving in silence in my car. Radio off, trying purposely not to go by any pubs etc to know the result. Switched the radio on when I was convinced it would be full time, just in time to hear the full time whistle at Stamford Bridge. Don't remember getting home. 

I'm a nervous wreck when not at the match and drive aimlessly. Was somewhere near Sixfields Stadium when found out we'd lost the Champions League decider with Man Utd.

Good thread DavieG. Three external world events stick out for me:

1. 9/11 - remember it clear as day. Walking between meetings at work, got to my 2pm meeting and heard the news then we all stood watching the TV in disbelief

2. 7/7 - at a work off-site in Watford. The MD walked in after the morning break and told us what happened. Half of us (including me) had other halves working in London that day so he sent us all home. 

3. Diana - we were living in Hull and the wife walked in on me having a morning bath to tell me the news. I thought she was winding me up.

And two personal events:

1. Receiving the call from my wife when my father in law died - I was in the kitchen

2. Receiving the call from my wife when my mother in law died - I was in the kitchen again

Both times I was at home with the kids and the wife was working. Having to tell them both times was the hardest thing I've ever had to do.

9/11

I was on my honeymoon in Zante.  We went for a boat trip out to the shipwreck.  I'm not a very strong swimmer and nearly drowned, had to get a boat out to rescue me.  Got back to the bar and couldn't keep my eyes off of the TV.  Wasn't quite sure what was going on as on Greek TV.

Sitting on the beach a couple of days later and 3 jet fighters flew over.  Scared the living daylights out of me.

Scary thing was when we chose our honeymoon it was either New York or Greece!!!!

2 hours ago, jonthefox said:

I'd played a pub gig on the Saturday night. I went home and went on the internet, talking in a chat room on AOL. I had Talk Radio on, the Mike Dicken show. News started to emerge about a car crash in Paris involving Diana. Dicken gave the greatest broadcast of his career, updating his audience, speculating - but not sensationalising - on what was happening. I was relaying it to an initially disbelieving online audience of mostly Americans in the chat room. The confirmation of her death hadn't come through by the time I went to bed, but I knew that in the morning I'd wake up to that news.