Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Facecloth

We need to talk about Jonny Evans

I suffer from PF and have had awful days with it, but stumbling across the ‘right’ insoles a year or so back has left me pain free and fully mobile. It’s not inconceivable that he could be fit for Saturday. He’ll need plenty of physio. But running is easier than walking with PF 🙏

Just now, st albans fox said:

He’s had it for ages .....it’s been managed up till this point but maybe a step too far now ???

Not sure how it can be managed? I’ve had it and could barely walk? Unless he’s had injections and stuff for it 

1 minute ago, Steve Earle said:

In case proof were needed, tonight was proof positive that Evans is our best defender, and makes Fofana & Soyuncu look better than they are.

Newcastle took their chances tonight, we've been just as open with Evans playing in the three. The fact Palace and Southampton were incredibly wasteful masked it.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, st albans fox said:

He’s had it for ages .....it’s been managed up till this point but maybe a step too far now ???

Is this what Fryatt used to have? Once his became too much he was finished before he reached 30.

I didn’t notice that (apart from cags early error) 

I remember a couple, especially down Forfanas side. 

Let's not forget West Ham though too. And early on against Brighton. 

1 minute ago, Facecloth said:

I remember a couple, especially down Forfanas side. 

Let's not forget West Ham though too. And early on against Brighton. 

Palace twice too, for Zaha and then that miss just after we equalised

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Facecloth said:

Are you including the last ditch Evans tackle in that too?

He is - because we are only playing one CDM in front on a widely spaced back three, we will concede breaks if teams are well set up against us. it requires high levels of concentration on our part and tonight was a good illustration of how without evans, that is missing. we have ridden some luck over the past couple months but generally the games we won were deserved. 

He is - because we are only playing one CDM in front on a widely spaced back three, we will concede breaks if teams are well set up against us. it requires high levels of concentration on our part and tonight was a good illustration of how without evans, that is missing. we have ridden some luck over the past couple months but generally the games we won were deserved. 

As you say we've rode our luck, not because we've defended well, but because the opposition haven't taken their chances. This result tonight probably still happens with Evan's in the team, not because of him, but because we are too open with 3 CBS. Newcastle succeeded where others failed, they put the ball in the net when they had the chance.

Guest Fktf
25 minutes ago, Steve Earle said:

I suffer from PF and have had awful days with it, but stumbling across the ‘right’ insoles a year or so back has left me pain free and fully mobile. It’s not inconceivable that he could be fit for Saturday. He’ll need plenty of physio. But running is easier than walking with PF 🙏

:appl:probably the best choice of word you could have made

7 minutes ago, st albans fox said:

There does seem an awful similarity to many goals we concede. They come from us losing the ball just outside the opponents penalty area, a rapid transition, and suddenly its two on one.

Does this mean we are over committing? 

You are absolutely deluded if you think our back line defends like that with Johnny Evans in it.

Absolutely not understanding football to a slightest degree deluded.

Massive miss tonight and if he’s out for the season we aren’t playing CL next season. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Facecloth said:

As you say we've rode our luck, not because we've defended well, but because the opposition haven't taken their chances. This result tonight probably still happens with Evan's in the team, not because of him, but because we are too open with 3 CBS. Newcastle succeeded where others failed, they put the ball in the net when they had the chance.

We're much better defensively with Evans in the side (whether we are are playing 3ATB or Back 4).

It doesn't mean that the oppositions will not still create chances, but that they will create LESS chances.

Compare how Fofana (and even Cags) quit on Wilson's 2d goal with Evans chasing down Benteke on Palace's chance.

21 minutes ago, Manwell Pablo said:

You are absolutely deluded if you think our back line defends like that with Johnny Evans in it.

Absolutely not understanding football to a slightest degree deluded.

Massive miss tonight and if he’s out for the season we aren’t playing CL next season. 

I beg to disagree.

As valuable as Evans is, it's still a TEAM game and personally I think we could adequately compensate for Jonny's absence by reverting to a Back 4. Frankly, it's a defensive formation that Cags and Fofana have each performed exceptionally well in (arguably better than they do in a Back 3 formation). The biggest problem with reverting to the Back 4 would be missing the width and speed that Barnes provides on the outside, since we would be relying less on the wide-backs.

Nonetheless, with no evidence other than it's been that kind of season, I expect us to pick the necessary points in the final 3 games to finish in the Champions' League places - with or without Evans. You heard it here first! :D 

Edited by NaijaFox