Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Facecloth

We need to talk about Jonny Evans

Just now, dmayne7 said:

Was getting to the point where I was thinking Fofana and Soyuncu should be the partnership next year, and not necessarily because Evans had been bad. But the last few games he has been a colossus

All 3 work together well as a unit. In fact we are playing so well in the system that we now have to ask ourselves which is better, 4231 or 3412? I prefer the 4231, but Kelechi Iheanacho plays like a 75m striker in this system and cannot stop scoring! We also look much stronger defensively, the goal conceded tonight was down to TIelemans losing the ball in midfield, and the Evans challenge was because Ndidi dwelt on the ball for too long.

But given we will be in some kind of European competition next season the most likely scenario is that we rotate our CBs most of the time. In fact the 3412 has done so well I can see us signing another one so we have more options in that system, even if IMO Amartey has done a job when called upon.

But make no mistake, when we have a big match, it's Evans and one other who starts. He is not as fast, as technical or as physical as the other two, but he upstairs the guy is a mile ahead of everyone else. The Northern Irish Maldini!

6 minutes ago, StriderHiryu said:

What I would say is that it's maybe not the fault of the player himself in this instance, as the team is instructed to play this way. But for me, our team has proven to be very capable of building the ball up from the back with slick interchange and creating the overload on one side or the other through using our "spare" CB of the 3 to support the wingback. During the game I tried to keep count of how many times the move broke down due to a lofted pass from Evans, and it was a lot. Often it was because Thomas lost it easily, but even with Castagne, whilst he kept the ball, it never "sprung" him into action like we often would do with Ricardo via a pass from Tielemans when we play 4231.

But having variety in our play... yeah I do see where you are coming from with that, but overall I felt that tonight at least, it was a net negative for the team.

I see what you're saying. We are so precise and controlled though in our play, with the patterns and intricate moves, that sometimes a hit and hope actually surprises the opposition and yields a good chance out of nothing. Whether it goes against Brendan's ideals and gives away possession or not, I'd rather we take the risk more often and create some chaos when we are not creating chances with our usual game. Not full on Wimbledon 1990s but just a few more percentage balls so we are harder to prepare for.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, StanSP said:

Is there a (longer) clip which shows Kasper's reaction?

It's available on StriderHiryu Prime, for the low price of 11.99 a month you can get access to GIFs, tactical insights, over use of the word "literally" and endless diatribes all accessible at your leisure.

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, StriderHiryu said:

It's available on StriderHiryu Prime, for the low price of 11.99 a month you can get access to GIFs, tactical insights, over use of the word "literally" and endless diatribes all accessible at your leisure.

anyone got any streams for this?

• Haha 2

4 minutes ago, StriderHiryu said:

MISuse of the word literally, you rep tart.

• Haha 1

Is Jonny Evans underrated? Brendan Rodgers analyses the importance of the defender's role at Leicester City

https://www.skysports.com/football/news/11712/12298149/is-jonny-evans-underrated-brendan-rodgers-analyses-the-importance-of-the-defenders-role-at-leicester-city

Roger's also talks about our high defensive line and why we play it.

Totally bargain, not doubt that he could still be at Man U, their lose is our gain.

Still our best all round CB for me. 

Fofana and Soyuncu have both benefitted from playing along side him, in the long term they will both surpass him, but he will have played a key role in their development.

Edited by coolhandfox

2 hours ago, coolhandfox said:

Totally bargain, not doubt that he could still be at Man U, their lose is our gain.

Still our best all round CB for me. 

Fofana and Soyuncu have both benefitted from playing along side him, in the long term they will both surpass him, but he will have played a key role in their development.

Yep - both still have the capacity to find themselves way out of position

3 hours ago, davieG said:

Is Jonny Evans underrated? Brendan Rodgers analyses the importance of the defender's role at Leicester City

https://www.skysports.com/football/news/11712/12298149/is-jonny-evans-underrated-brendan-rodgers-analyses-the-importance-of-the-defenders-role-at-leicester-city

Roger's also talks about our high defensive line and why we play it.

Really interesting - you genuinely wonder if Evans and maguire would work in the system we have now - soyuncu and fofana complement him much better.

1 minute ago, Izzy said:

Any news on his injury?

Just pray to God it's not too bad. His absence tonight showed just what a vital player he is to us.

He was on crutches so... doesn't fill me with hope

Edited by moore_94
  • Sad 1

This may be the understatement of the year: Jonny Evans was missed badly tonight. I definitely think our back line is much, much more organized and defensively disciplined with a leader like Evans in the center and that unfortunate injury could not have come at a worser time for him and for all us Leicester City fans. I understand one person doesn't make the whole difference (especially considering  the fact football is a team sport), but I would like to think that today's match would have had a much different outcome. I wish Jonny Evans a speedy recovery and hoping he will be available as soon as possible to start again. :(

• Like 1

No player is bigger than the team I know, but for me, missing Jonny Evans for the next few weeks could be the difference between Top 4 and winning the cup or not.

I think he's that important to us right now.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Wasyls Pec Deck said:

Am I being stupid? What does he mean by PF?

Ligament that connects your heel to the front of your foot

Basically a "shock absorber" for the foot that helps you walk, so I imagine if he is having issues with it whenever he puts weight on his foot it probably hurts