Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Facecloth

We need to talk about Jonny Evans

The three centre backs is something IMO that should only ever be looked at if Cags is in at Amarteys defence. Not just for the fact that he is a better player, its just we lack aggression and look off balance with Amartey one of the three. I`d go as far as saying that if one is out, play a 4. I cant hammer Johnny Evans here as he has been great. Today wasnt his best game but you could say that for 9 or 10 of the rest!

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Ross 'LCFC' Turner said:

I thought his organisation of the defensive line today was a shambles. 

Look at the second goal, the ball sails over Fofana’s head, he turns around expecting Evans to be mopping up and he’s too busy trying to play offside! As the centre of a 3 you should be the sweeper and see the whole picture!

Sweeper? I don’t think so. 

The player who’s side the play is on holds the line and the two behind should hold that players line.

It’s always beneficial to have a quicker player in the centre to cover either wide centre back, but playing any form of offside trap doesn’t require a sweeper. I can understand what you’re saying, but Evans is worst suited out of the 3 (Soyuncu, Fofana and Evans) to play that role. He’s there because he should be organising the others. 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Always Next Year said:

To slow at getting the ball forward, slows our whole game down.

It’s always been the worst part of his game. Almost always holds up play,  and so many times just end up passing back to Kasper. Take the good (which is great) with the not-so-good though.

I am sure i read somewhere before that Evans holds onto the ball for longer deliberately to draw in opposition players before making a pass. 

I do agree though he slows down our build up play considerably. He was really poor today. 

8 minutes ago, UpTheLeagueFox said:

Rumours of Jonny's demise perhaps a little premature.

Outstanding vs Southampton.

Soyuncu, Fofana and Evans were all superb. Evans must of challanged and won everything in the air. Never seen him that aggressive and kept on thinking that he was going to get a card. Something tells me we are going to finish very strong this season.

4 hours ago, UpTheLeagueFox said:

Rumours of Jonny's demise perhaps a little premature.

Outstanding vs Southampton.

I thought he had been poor for a few games. I do think having soyuncu back and not babysitting amartey massively helped yesterday. He was able to focus solely on his job and he was solid. Good on him. 

• Like 1

Agree Evans was superb in the semi-final. I've questioned his mental strength after his poor performances towards the close of the previous season but he stood up yesterday as a leader. Having so much pace around him helped as well so he could play his natural game and be more aggressive. 

30 minutes ago, An Sionnach said:

Jonny is probably the most intelligent centre back in the premiership. He is 80% of John Terry and that will do for me.

I agree. His positioning is superb and he’s such a calming influence. He’s brilliant in the middle of a back 3 and for the price we paid he’s been well above and beyond that figure.

No love for Jonny last night? Was in contention for MOTM for me. 

Can't remember him making a single error, got himself a great goal, marshalled us from the back, sprayed balls all over the park, mopped up every opportunity. Thought he was fantastic.