Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Facecloth

We need to talk about Jonny Evans

On 22/11/2020 at 20:18, Facecloth said:

Now this isn't a reaction to the OG, I've been saying this for a while, but it just get brushed under the carpet. He's been extremely poor for months, like pre first lockdown. 

At first I clocked his poor distribution, which was putting us under pressure each game. Not just a few wayward passes to knowhere, but playing the ball straight the opposition midfielders. A cleanly struck ball, but just to the wrong player. Overtime he's then been making more and more defensive errors, getting caught for pace, being out of position, losing his man. He's been a liability for Northern Ireland recently too. I know he's carried a knock recently, but its been going on way before that.

People love to talk about him as Rolls Royce defender, but he's more like a clapped out Reliant Robin of late. Massive improvement needed or imo that contract that's running down can run down.

This aged well 

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, moore_94 said:

Please tell me someone has a clip of that tackle, I need to watch it on repeat for a couple of minutes later on (might have to crosspost this with the Nacho thread for his goal as well)

Screenshot_20210426-220141.jpg.e14ac6b585b20a6a3b5ca5462cf04a80.jpg

6 minutes ago, Hitesh said:

Season defining challenge today with the interception before a tap in for Benteke

He bust a nut chasing that down and showed huge desire. Not bad for an old man. Him at the back with little Wes and Cags fill me with huge confidence.

2 minutes ago, baldeagle said:

This aged well 

Is it not OK to criticise players if they are playing poorly at a particular time? This post was from back in November during a very long spell of poor performancs, and he's picked up since fair play. His passing at times is still abysmal, and I'm fully aware he played the ball to Iheanacho for the goal. But yes he's playing a lot better, but I stand by critiscing him back in November. He was playing shite, and too many fans had their heads in the sand and thought he couldn't put a foot wrong.

4 minutes ago, Arriba Los Zorros said:

Brilliant tackle aside, he was spraying lovely raking passes out to the wings all game to get us on the front foot and leading by example and will to win. A captains performance today.

I actually have an issue with this. Since we've changed to this system, Evans plays like the defensive quarterback, looking for long passes to Castagne and Thomas. But I am not a fan! I feel like we lost the ball a lot of times doing that, either from a poor pass, or because the pass is a flighted one, meaning the wingback has to take a touch to get ball under control so they can't attack at pace. I see why we do it, to move the opposition defensive block around, but IMO we do it far too often, and I felt like our moves broke down a lot because of it. In fact for me, it was the only negative aspect of Evans' performance tonight.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, StriderHiryu said:

I actually have an issue with this. Since we've changed to this system, Evans plays like the defensive quarterback, looking for long passes to Castagne and Thomas. But I am not a fan! I feel like we lost the ball a lot of times doing that, either from a poor pass, or because the pass is a flighted one, meaning the wingback has to take a touch to get ball under control so they can't attack at pace. I see why we do it, to move the opposition defensive block around, but IMO we do it far too often, and I felt like our moves broke down a lot because of it. In fact for me, it was the only negative aspect of Evans' performance tonight.

Those floaty passes are awful. Schmeichel does it too. Puts the full back under immediate pressure, or its over hit and goes for a throw in.

• Like 1

Just now, StriderHiryu said:

Fair enough. Agree to disagree. Your posts are usually spot on but for me we have to mix our play up a lot more especially against a defence sat back and early long balls which have the defence back pedalling and leading to 50/50s which can bounce anywhere are a good addition to our controlled, often too controlled play. Short passes and slow build up can be very comfortable to play against for a team that know what they are doing.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Arriba Los Zorros said:

Fair enough. Agree to disagree. Your posts are usually spot on but for me we have to mix our play up a lot more especially against a defence sat back and early long balls which have the defence back pedalling and leading to 50/50s which can bounce anywhere are a good addition to our controlled, often too controlled play. Short passes and slow build up can be very comfortable to play against for a team that know what they are doing.

What I would say is that it's maybe not the fault of the player himself in this instance, as the team is instructed to play this way. But for me, our team has proven to be very capable of building the ball up from the back with slick interchange and creating the overload on one side or the other through using our "spare" CB of the 3 to support the wingback. During the game I tried to keep count of how many times the move broke down due to a lofted pass from Evans, and it was a lot. Often it was because Thomas lost it easily, but even with Castagne, whilst he kept the ball, it never "sprung" him into action like we often would do with Ricardo via a pass from Tielemans when we play 4231.

But having variety in our play... yeah I do see where you are coming from with that, but overall I felt that tonight at least, it was a net negative for the team.

I thought Evans's long distribution was on the money tonight. He will normally stick in at least a couple of underhit ones a game which turn over possession but it felt like tonight he was fizzing them out to feet and obviously a great pick out for the second goal.

Edited by martyn
  • Like 4