Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Facecloth

We need to talk about Jonny Evans

16 minutes ago, UHDrive said:

On a serious note, what happened to Evan's when we picked him up on a free and he was released by WBA. Was it simply clubs not interested with him being associated with WBA? Or his decline from utd to WBA as a factor? Or his salary requirements? I dont seem to remember any competition at the time for his signature, which is shocking what happens when you sign him and play him in a quality team like ours and his talent shines through.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.bbc.com/sport/amp/football/41071705

This was the summer before we signed him. 

6 minutes ago, cruzFOX said:

Evans is a very good player for us. Yes he's had his brain fart moments in some key games no doubt but for the most part we can let those slide since his overall performance is pretty solid. His holding the ball for too long is symptomatic of his cautious style of play often a result of not finding players in good positions to release a pass to. This is something thats frustrating for the team as a whole. Does the defender start the attacking move or does the midfield? It should be both of course being fluid is the key. Against sticky opposition and a high press Evans can get himself in trouble. Anyway, I'd like Rogers to use Evans time at out club to groom his successor and that should be Fofana. No way we should let him leave for any amount this summer to liverpool or anyone else!  

I can see Rogers grooming him for a Coaching job after he's finished playing. He's been incredible since coming here.

Can't help but smile when I read criticism of him on here. He's not perfect (nor is VVD, though he's closer) but he's comfortably one of the best 3-4 CBs I've seen play for us in 56 years of watching. He's made or at least massively helped Soyuncu and Fofana look as good as they have and led the back four/five superbly. We are very lucky to have him.

I do think we've pushed it in terms of relying on him given the injury record he had at WBA and MU, and for that reason, plus the departures of Big Wes and Fuchs, I'd be happy to see Tarks (or similar) come in next summer to add depth.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Fox92 said:

Just love him. What a man. Wish he was 10 years younger and not coming to the end of his career.

I think that he gets so under rated because he wasn't good enough to break the Vidic/Ferdinand partnership.

Any other team and he'd be rightly acknowledged as a properly good defender.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, AKCJ said:

I think that he gets so under rated because he wasn't good enough to break the Vidic/Ferdinand partnership.

Any other team and he'd be rightly acknowledged as a properly good defender.

I was reading the man United forum the other week for my sins. They were all saying how he has an error in him and often lets us down. I tried to detect a hint of irony but they were all being serious. Really can’t believe fans from other clubs think he is a calamity. He has pretty much been consistently class for us. Very few errors in all his games. 

2 minutes ago, Unabomber said:

I was reading the man United forum the other week for my sins. They were all saying how he has an error in him and often lets us down. I tried to detect a hint of irony but they were all being serious. Really can’t believe fans from other clubs think he is a calamity. He has pretty much been consistently class for us. Very few errors in all his games. 

To be honest what defender or goal keeper doesn’t have an error in them . 

2 minutes ago, Unabomber said:

I saw a stat other day. He’s the defender in the prem that has made the most consecutive appearances without making a mistake that has led to a goal.  

3 minutes ago, Unabomber said:

A perfect example of people saying stuff confidently over and over until it becomes the accepted wisdom. 

• Like 1